Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Custom screens - custom sounds too?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom screens - custom sounds too?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bandk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Custom screens - custom sounds too? Reply with quote

So far so good. I have installed a custom startup and sign off screen on my TTXL. Nice screens but I have lost the drum roll sound normally associtated with the screens. How do I install a custom sound to go with them and which folder would I drop the wav file in, assuming the custom sound was a wav file in the first place!

Don't you just love a guy who gets to know his technology just enough to want to change it Razz
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you were hearing the drum roll....

That should only happen on a re-boot, not a normal start up or shut down. Those are normally silent.

However, you CAN add startup and shutdown sounds, but how easy it is depends on your TomTom model.

On the x40 and x50 models you can you can easily add your own startup and shutdown sounds, arrival sound, warning sounds, ringtones, and SMS message alerts. On earlier models you can only change SOME of them (not the startup/shutdown unfortunately).

The full chart of what model can do what and instructions on how to do it are on the TomTom website HERE

(Do be aware that the compatibility chart doesn't seem to show up in Firefox, only Internet Explorer (or the IE tab extension in FF) will work).

The chart isn't right up to date, it mentions the "One XL" but not the "XL" and they are quite different beasts, so give it a try!

Basically the sounds need to be 16-bit, 22050 Hz Mono, and saved as an OGG Vorbis format file called splash.ogg or suspend.ogg (There are several free programs available to record or convert .ogg format files, "Audacity" is a good one.

Alternatively, there is a add-on utility on the TomTom Heaven website called "Splash" which seems to allow a user to have multiple startup SPLASH screens and to customize the startup, shutdown, and reboot sounds.

Details are in French, but there is a "translate" button at the top left.

I've never tried the program myself, so let us know how you get on!
bandk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Andy, I'll give it a go. At least I know that I am saving OGG files now and not wav Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy, does that mean I could record Vera or grandchildren saying "Dennis, don't forget to take me with you" for suspend.ogg? Maybe splash.ogg saying "Dennis, remember to drive carefully".

Wanders off to fire up Audacity!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you could have Vera saying "Not another saucepan for my birthday!" on boot-up. Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
And you could have Vera saying "Not another saucepan for my birthday!" on boot-up. Very Happy

What an odd world you live in Andy - she wouldn't say that at all, she'd say "I'd love another saucepan for my birthday." Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: