Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go 750 and latest map guarantee DISASTER, HELP PLEASE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go 750 and latest map guarantee DISASTER, HELP PLEASE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big_Daz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Tomtom Go 750 and latest map guarantee DISASTER, HELP PLEASE Reply with quote

Hi Ladies and gents,
In the Christmas/Newyear sales i bought a tomtom go 750 to replace my stolen XL, and am very impressed with the unit.

Before starting the update and SPeedcam installation I made the almost default action of completing a Windows Explorer complete backup, install of Home v2.7 and then the latest OS/map guarantee download.

As after reading the forums, getting the insufficient memory error, I restored the backup I made, did the OS download, and then installed an SD card.

I then deleted the old download files, and reran the latest map guarantee, and installed to the external SD memory... so far so good, or so I thought.

When i ejected the 750, and looked at the in use map it shows V835, no problems, goto change maps, select Europe 2G, and it changes maps to its self.

Ok so reconnect to tomtom Home, and look at Manage my device. system shows 2 maps installeed, 1 on internal mem, 1 on external SD, so i used the option to backup map from device to PC, then delete from device. Operation completed successfully.

So I eject the go again and power it up.

Now the Go tells me I have no maps installed, back to TTHome, map installed, eject, no map.

This is starting to0 really hack me off, can anyone suggest a fix?

Many Thanks

Daz
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I may have this wrong but....

Don't you need the application and the map files on the same card? That is it boots from the card and uses the map file from the card
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Go devices you can have a map folder on the card and the application / other maps on the internal memory as these units can share available memory space.

Can you boot the device without the memory card inserted and tell us what Navcore version is installed and which map version, assuming the device will boot go to page 3 of the menu and select "Status & Information"/ "Version Information" to display the information.

Shut the unit down and re-insert the memory card, boot the unit and repeat the same step as above - post back with the results as I susspect Home has messed up the install / download of the new map and probably put the Navcore software on the memory card for some stupid reason - Mike
Big_Daz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From home it was Navcore 9.025 and map v840.

Unfortuately the TomTom helpdesk have had me reformat the internal and external memory, and try and reload. Bad news is tomtom won't connect to pc now, so have a brand new brick. Tomtom will get back to me....

Thanks for the replys

Let me know if u have any other Idea's. Apparently if I can ge it to talk to PC it will resore from the web, and then pull down the latest map. I would also allow me to put my explored backup back onto the nav.

Regards

Daz
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the memory card from the device to avoid any further confusion.

Connect the device to the PC and shut down Home its not needed for this step.

Use Windows Explorer on your computer to locate the drive letter associated with the device, right click it and select "Format" ok the warnings and DO NOT select Quick Format.

Once the format is complete locate your Windows Explorer created backup and copy this back to the device using Windows Explorer.

When the files have transfered to the device go to the lower right tray on the PC and right click the USB icon followed by Disconnect device (don't just yank the USB lead out or it will all go pear shaped again!

If you get this far look at what navcore version and map version is installed do this ON THE DEVICE DO NOT USE HOME as home tends to miss report version numbers - Mike
Big_Daz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, but as Insaid before the PC doesn't recognise that anything is connected, the sat nav doesn't ask if you want to connect to the pc, u just get a White screen. Have been searching the web, and it could be a duff lead or a shorted pins in the sat nav end, may be off round my mates to try with his lead, will let u know.
Big_Daz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so problem solved,

Using my mates USB cable I tried to restore my explorer back, which failed due to corrupt files. I reformatted the internal memory again, and the 750 pulled the OS programs down through TT Home and installed.

Having ejected the 750 and inserted SD card, i then did a latest map guarantee download, having selected external memory as the install location.

Now I have 138mb used on internal, and europe map on external.

All that hassle due to a duff USB lead.

TomTm to be called on Monday !!..
Thanks for all the help, I have now completed an explorer back and downloaded all the other add-ons and speed cams.

BD

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: