Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A couple of questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple of questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: A couple of questions Reply with quote

I have a TomTom GO 510, so don't have Quickmenus and my preferred method for recording speed cameras would be to "add favourite" (and then add to a POI)

I've installed and registered POIedit, but I can't for the life of me work out how to extract the co-ords in the fav's file, or entries within the ov2 files. Would someone be so kind as to explain how to extract this please.

Also, if you spot a SPECS going up, but it's "not in use" yet do you get the credit for reporting this (if you're the 1st of course), or does it only count once it's turned on and you're reporting its speed

Many thanks
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not good enough with POIEdit to advise you on that, but do be aware of the limitation with using Favourite for this, namely that it names the favourite as the road number of the location and if you haven't time etc to rename it, if another camera is further up the road, it'll be overwritten when you get the second. I think the way to do it is to start POIEdit then use it to open your Mapsettings.cfg file in the map folder and it will show all the locations with their Lat/Long. That file contains more than just your favourites, so you'll have to look all through it.

When roadworks Specs first started appearing, we were rejecting incomplete poles. However, we quickly changed our idea and now are very happy (indeed eager) to take them on as soon as they start going up - we had a series somewhere on the M6 which were inactive for quite some time, but when they were activated we already had them in there at "Speed Unknown" - members only had to apply commonsense when they hit the traffic cones. I don't deal with "credit for first etc", but as far as I'm aware, "First, Accurate" is the criterion and we don't regard setting the speed (from unknown) for Specs as a change or inaccuracy.

It's still not easy to be the first accurate - the submissions are (automatically by the system) recorded to the second (!!) and we regularly get half a dozen (and more!) for each camera, so the actual location is often several hits all within a few yards of each other.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just open the MapSettings.cfg or your ov2 file within the POI Edit application and the locations should all be listed on the right side of the screen, select one of the coordinates and you then get the options to display the location on a number of different maps from within the application - Mike
sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mike
I think it may be the way I installed it -
I installed it as a non admin user with a "run as". It asked for an activation code, but I just clicked the link in my email to activate it instead and chose "skip" within the installer. From the link in the email it didn't seem clear where the code was. Sometimes you get the link with a code and the code seperately, but in the POIedit email, they didn't seperate it, so I'm not 100% sure if it's actually properly registered. It does show as "connected" with a green blob, but I don't see any menus to open files etc. The update button works and says my product is up to date (which I thought I wouldn't have got if it wasn't registered). I'll have a go at uninstalling, re-installing and running as an admin user

@dennis
1) My question was around lifetime awards. So if you're first to report a SPECS going up (even if the roadworks haven't started) and it's validated, you could be in line ? I guess from what you're saying about the speed unknown ones is, the answer is "yes" cos I hit those you're talkinf about on the M6 when coming back from holidays.

2) Accuracy - submissions have to be accurate to the yard do they? So when the verifiers go out, they mark it also and whoever's closest gets their position gets the lifetime award?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What activation code? you just download POIEdit from Here for free - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the same program here?
As Mike says, POIEdit is free and I'm pretty sure I've never had to register it or add any codes or passwords.

If you find your MapSettings.cfg file in the map folder and open it in POI edit, the list of Favourites, recent destinations, home location opens up straight away on the right of the screen along with all the Lat/Long coordinates beside them.

But I don't bother with that anyway. Here's what I do (if and when safe)...

If I spot a camera, I mark it as a Favourite - Tap screen, forward arrow, Add Favourite, forward arrrow, My Location. Give it a helpful name if poss, or just a couple of random characters if not.

Don't forget too that once you've hit the "My Location" button, the position is already stored, so you can take as much time as you like getting the naming done.

Then back at home, I go to "Browse map, Find Favourite and the Lat/Long info is all there on the screen (You need to go to Options first and ensure "coordinates" is ticked - they then show in the bottom left corner.)
Enter those details into the submission form, add the speed limit, heading and some comments (that's where a "helpful" name is useful if you have several to remember) and you're done.
No messing about with other programs required.

hope that helps - Andy.

DennisN wrote:
...do be aware of the limitation with using Favourite for this, namely that it names the favourite as the road number of the location and if you haven't time etc to rename it, if another camera is further up the road, it'll be overwritten when you get the second.

That's usually only a problem if you do the "add favourite" via the quick menu, because you don't get any option to change the name. Adding one in the 'normal' way as I mention above, at least gives you a chance to add another character or two after the road name with just a couple of taps (or change the name completely if you have the time).
sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P - you're a star - thank you. Easy tip when you know how

Yes it was that program I downloaded - maybe the code is for other products - I'm not sure, but I'll be uninstalling that now I can get the co-ords easily

Now I just need to find the programme that allows you to move your menu options around, and hopefully I can have a go at contributing some time soon (too late this time I guess :D)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For menu builders, there's some links to programs and techniques in this very old topic of mine on another forum.

But don't uninstall POIEdit just yet... it can be very useful for things like merging several POI files into one (using the "append" command in the File menu).
sweepdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate. I was stupid and downloaded MyPOI Manager - enticed by the big blue download button at the top of the page, and not POIEdit Embarassed

I'll have a look at the MenuBuilder stuff later

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: