Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New guidance for manually reinstalling software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New guidance for manually reinstalling software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: New guidance for manually reinstalling software Reply with quote

This is one for the "old hands" here...
We often recommend to people that they force a re-install of new software by deleting all the "loose" files on the device (i.e. NOT the folders or their contents) and then connecting to Home to re-install the software.

However, it suddenly occurred to me when working on a friends very old system that the activation code for his map is actually stored in the root directory NOT in the map folder!

So any instructions we give (or in the FAQs?) really need modifying to add something like:

Quote:
With Windows Explorer, check the root directory of the TomTom. If you have very old maps (v660 or earlier) there will be one or more files with a name based on the map name and a .MAC or .MDS extension.
This is your activation code for the map. It is especially important that this file or files are backed up before you delete all the "loose" files..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to edit any of the FAQ pages to add the extra bit, but to be honest such old maps are not of much use these days although I do appreciate some people will still be using them!

The v660 and earlier maps will only apply to certain models in the One, x10, x00 and classic models (probably the rider-1 but I am not 100% on that) - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently performed this clean reinstall of the NavCore in an attempt to stop my "Wandering TT" syndrome (again). Before i deleted the "loose" files i backed them up to the PC as the download doesn't contain a couple of the BMP files which gives you a worrying white screen when you next switch on. Other than the BMP files i didn't have to restore any other files...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Other than the BMP files i didn't have to restore any other files...

Interesting... The old map of mine that I've just installed to this machine DEFINITELY put the activation file in the root directory, but Mike thought he remembered them going in the map folder, and a couple of my old backups either show them in BOTH places or not in the root.
I think they kept tweaking the system around that time (before they changed it completely after v660 maps.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, Andy. While I suspect there are few units in NA with v6 maps, I presume there are some......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: