Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Am I doing something stupid with my Garmin 1240 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I doing something stupid with my Garmin 1240 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culpano
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Am I doing something stupid with my Garmin 1240 ? Reply with quote

Before I take it back to the shop. As I've said in an earlier post I want to mainly use it to browse maps with POIs so can plan trips, best areas for pubs etc. The screen functionality seems to have a severe limitation.

I I choose "Where To ?" and then select a city it zooms to it and displays a bubble with the name of the place in it. You then can't get rid of the bubble and when I zoom in to try to tap on the POI icons to see what they are you can't do it - the screen locks on the bubble. If I tap the "show more" on the bubble it just brings up the route calc menu.

This system is totally pants. What use is it if you can't browse maps.

If I use the view map button then I'd have to manually try to find the place by zooming out and in and then it only shows POIs if the scale is 50m.

Unless I am doing something stupid the system is rubbish.

Any ideas ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I use the view map button then I'd have to manually try to find the place by zooming out and in and then it only shows POIs if the scale is 50m.

Sadly this seems to be the way it's always been with the Nuvis.

TomTom do it much better and the POIs display when driving much earlier too.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some screen shots for comparison

The first one is zoomed right out. Not all the POIs categories are shown but you can switch them on and off individually...

The second and third show how early the POIs appear on route compared to the Nuvi. Also POIs appear on route all the time (when selected) and not just ones you are travelling to.
Culpano
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers a lot. I'm going to get a TomTom if it means I can properly categorise the POIs like you say. I'm not sure I like the display as much though which is a bit of a shame.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm going to get a TomTom if it means I can properly categorise the POIs like you say.

You can't mix the 2 sets together but you can have your POIs on the same list as the TT ones.

The B&W icon entry is TTs own Airport POI list. The PGPSW list has the colour icon.

Quote:
I'm not sure I like the display as much though which is a bit of a shame.

I always used to think that and the Garmin one is "prettier" with it's anti-alaised screen but i now prefer the TT as it's more "business like".

Oh and if the colours look a bit flat it's because i'm using TT Home to operate the device and capture the screen shots with Windows. On screen they are much nicer and more vibrant.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll normally set my destination, then do a search for specific poi's/categories nearby if that's my interest. Trying to enable several on-screen poi categories on even my TT740 can slow it down so much that it's not worthwhile to me, so generally I don't bother. And I do appreciate that Garmin's restaurant poi's are searchable by food types. But there are some specific POI' types that I do like to display on my Garmin. Museums and aquariums are an example of one custom poi category I've added. These do display on screen and can even have an associated audible alert that can be set for a specific distance from my current location.

But Paul is correct. The display of the built-in poi's on Garmin nuvis is really only useful if you're traveling slowly inside a larger city (walking?) where you might typically be zoomed in anyway. If having poi icons on screen are important to you, or if that is your preferred method for searching for them, you won't be happy with a Garmin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: