Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - One 3rd Edition-Constant Flashing Red Cross (Help Needed)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

One 3rd Edition-Constant Flashing Red Cross (Help Needed)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: One 3rd Edition-Constant Flashing Red Cross (Help Needed) Reply with quote

This one has really got me flumoxed.

Basically didn't use my Tom Tom for about a month and battery must have run down completely. When I cam to power it up, connected via cable, it just stuck at the Start Up Screen but never got going. Did multiple soft resets of varying length of time and no joy. Tried a few other things but eventually resorted to a full FAT32 reformat of the Tom Tom and then copied over a full Windows Explorer device back-up I had and then, for good measure deleted the Tom Tom Application on the device and computer and re-installed it via Home. Finally I have run the Tom Tom Flash application. Doing all this (with a couple of soft resets afterwards, just in case), and still no luck - always end up with the flashing Red cross.

When the device is connected to Home it dutifully sees the latest GPS Quickfix and Mapshare updates and installs them on the device. I can even operate my Tom Tom via the Home application on my PC and browse the files on my Tom Tom via the finder/explorer window.

As far as I know I really have triad everything posted on these boards and also from Tom Toms support articles but nothing seems to get me past the dreaded red flashing cross, it just doesn't want to get going. I'm really desperate for any advice as at the moment it's just bricked out on me.

Thanks in advance
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try using Chkdsk?

If you can run it in the HOME Emulator, it might be the file called system is corrupt.

To find out which Software Version it's trying to run, open ttgo.bif with Notepad and look for ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=. The next line is the minor part of the Version number.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oldboy

Thanks for your response. Have opened up the ttgo.bif in a TextEdit program and got the following info:

ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8010
ApplicationVersion=9369

Being a Apple Mac person could you explain the Chkdsk suggestion you made?

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just in case this is relevant here's the full output from the ttgo.bif file (with some deletion of sensitive info:

DeviceName=TomTom ONE X
DeviceVersionHW=ONE (v6)
DeviceSerialNumber=*********
DeviceUniqueID=***********
RamDiskVersion=20040301
BootLoaderVersion=10012
LinuxVersion=1000
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8010
ApplicationVersion=9369
UserLanguage=English UK
UserName=***********
LastConnectionTime=2007/10/29,12:19:03,UTC
LastConnectionPhone=,
GPSFirmwareVersion=Unknown
BuiltInColorScheme0=Belgica
BuiltInColorScheme1=Brittanica
BuiltInColorScheme2=America
BuiltInColorScheme3=Germanica
BuiltInColorScheme4=Australia
BuiltInColorScheme5=Deuteranopia
BuiltInColorScheme6=Greys
BuiltInColorScheme7=Antarctica
BuiltInColorScheme8=Africa
BuiltInColorScheme9=Astra
CurrentColorSchemeBuiltIn=0
CurrentVoiceInfo=Jane
CurrentMap=Western_Europe_1GB
CurrentMapVersion=830.2306
Traffic=N
CurrentFuelpricesType=
CurrentFuelpricesTypeString=
CurrentFuelpricesLastFullUpdate=
Features=PlusDownloadDynamic,PlusDownloadGeneral,PlusDownloadMap,PlusDownloadPOI,PlusDownloadScheme, _PlusDownloadUpgrade,PlusDownloadVoice,PlusDownloadRingTone,PlusMessageNotification,PlusPushChannel, _PlusTraffic,PlusWeather,PlusEphemeris,PlusBuddies,PlusMobileSafetyCameras,PlusRoadConditions,PlusFixedSafetyCameras, _PlusFuelPrices,HDTraffic,PlusOnlineCamera,PlusTripReporting,HomeBackup,Newyork,Newyork1Dot6, _Caymann,Durham,CarSymbol,RDSTMC,Prague,SDSlot,InternalFlash
SupportedPatchTypes=1f
NrSupportedErrorTypes=132
UserPatchDatVersion=102
CompressedPatchVersion=150
MapServerPatchDatVersion=104
DeletedPoiDatVersion=200
ServerLineIndexDatVersion=102
ServerNameIndexDatVersion=102
MapShareSupportedProviders=203
CharacterSet=Latin-1

Edited to make it easier to read - Oldboy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chkdsk is a Windows utility that checks Disk Data for integrity of data. I don't know if there's a Mac equivalent.

Is there a file called system on the Device?

You could try downloading the Application from Here, and copy the system file only to the Device. Rename the old system to something like systemold so that a new copy is used, rather than replacing the original. (In case there's a problem with that portion of the internal memory).

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oldboy

Many thanks for your help. The strangest thing is after spending hours trying to restore the back-up with no success I started again from scratch and this time it worked. The only thing I did different was skipping the last couple of stages where by Tom Tom Support instruct you to delete the Tom Tom application on your device and then let the Home Application re-install the latest version. This time I just 100% relied on my back-up and everything is now fine (I would usually have done this but as it didn't work the first time I thought there was a deeper rooted issue).

Thanks again
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be a pain,
but people often say "I've tried everything in your helpfiles" and we then have to go through more and more esoteric suggestions, only to eventually find they haven't tried a reset!

Can you say exactly what you have tried so far?

For instance, have you made a full backup (with Mac Finder) and then tried deleting all the files which are NOT in any folders (leave the folders alone).Then connecting to Home and selecting "Update my One" (if it doesn't automatically start re-installing the software anyway)
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

The OP said he had done multiple soft resets as well as removing the application and re-installing (as well as other stuff...)
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Sorry to be a pain,
but people often say "I've tried everything in your helpfiles" and we then have to go through more and more esoteric suggestions, only to eventually find they haven't tried a reset!

Can you say exactly what you have tried so far?

For instance, have you made a full backup (with Mac Finder) and then tried deleting all the files which are NOT in any folders (leave the folders alone).Then connecting to Home and selecting "Update my One" (if it doesn't automatically start re-installing the software anyway)

Hi Andy

It's all academic now as have managed to get it working but I thought I gave a fair indication of what I had already done in my OP and what the device was now doing - was also careful in saying "as far as I know I really have tried everything....".

Appreciate it can be frustrating when posters don't give enough details but, in this case, without writing a huge post describing every permutation of what I had done I felt that I had hopefully given a fair over view in what I had done.

Moving on, keep up the good work with the site forum as I do find it a valuable resource.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, I TOTALLY misread your post...
(Having a bad morning. Workmen outside have a digger that has been beeping at me since 8am and my brain is addled) Crying
spcdust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Forgive me, I TOTALLY misread your post...
(Having a bad morning. Workmen outside have a digger that has been beeping at me since 8am and my brain is addled) Crying

No worries, totally understand.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you say what you did to get it working please? I saw your original post last night (my time in North America) and saw that you'd tried absolutely everything I would have suggested, so I said nothing .. Confused

It will help me learn so that if the situation arises in the future, I'll know better what to suggest.

Thanks,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: