Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Manager and Zumo 660
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Manager and Zumo 660

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Camera Manager and Zumo 660 Reply with quote

Has anybody used the above combination successfully.

I ask because the 16colour icons I created (due to 660 problems mentioned on Zumo Forums) do not appear on the maps if I use the GPX files created by CM but they do if I use the standard CSVs. I also find that the GPXs although loaded do not appear to work as warnings either - no voice or bong.

I carefully named all my BMPs and MP3s to the same names as CM created for the GPXs but nothing worked, whereas the CSV vesrion appears fine.

Any ideas anyone.

PS I know this 660 is a bit buggy but it was a warranty replacement for a BMW Nav3.

Chris
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera Manager and Zumo 660 Reply with quote

ChrisL wrote:
I carefully named all my BMPs and MP3s to the same names as CM created for the GPXs but nothing worked, whereas the CSV vesrion appears fine.

Assuming it's not just a typo somewhere....

...You're not running a really old version of POILoader are you Question
(click icon in top-left of first screen, then "about POILoader..." (ideally, answer would be 2.5.4))
ChrisL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...You're not running a really old version of POILoader are you Question
(click icon in top-left of first screen, then "about POILoader..." (ideally, answer would be 2.5.4))

I am on 2.5.3 but have now added 2.5.4 just in case but its a lot of work to test it if this .1 change does not contain the fix.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisL wrote:
I am on 2.5.3 but have now added 2.5.4 just in case but its a lot of work to test it if this .1 change does not contain the fix.

Ok - so much for that theory...

POILoader has a variety of ways of building the POI.GPI from its input data - pattern matching filenames, direct links from within GPX files, keyword recognition etc - but the resulting GPI file should be the same in each case (so it's not a CSV vs GPX issue, as such). The main issue, is that POILoader doesn't give much feedback, as to what it's found (or not found). Examining the POI.GPI gives some clues, as things like MP3s, .BMPs etc are just loaded into the file unchanged and you can spot them with a 'Hex' Editor. Even the size of the POI.GPI can give some clues on that front.

Try simplifying the problem. Delete all but one of the GPX files, and remove all but one of the cameras from that file (Each camera is fully defined within a {wpt} ... {/wpt} structure).

I'm wondering if you've managed to set the parameters for Camera Manager incorrectly somehow? If you examine any of the GPX files (with notepad), can you see the {proximity}...{/proximity} values and/or the "@speed" postfix on the Camera Name?

Testing shouldn't be a big deal, if you use the 'simulate this journey' option that your Zümo (almost certainly) has. If you manually select one of the cameras in "Extras", can you see the alert parameters that are set?

Note: I've used squirly brackets "{ }" instead of triangular ones, because I can't figure out how to get this forum software to accept them!
ChrisL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The notepad opened files sem OK but thay show a # not an @ sign example line follows:-

{?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?}
{gpx xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" creator="MapSource 6.15.7" version="1.1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd"}

{metadata}
{link href="http://www.garmin.com"}
{text}Garmin International{/text}
{/link}
{time}2009-11-04T11:21:47Z{/time}
{bounds maxlat="51.7706100" maxlon="-2.3250300" minlat="51.7706100" minlon="-2.3250300"/}
{/metadata}

{wpt lat="51.7706100" lon="-2.3250300"}
{name}SW-R-GATSO:2291#40{/name}
{sym}Waypoint{/sym}
{extensions}
{gpxx:WaypointExtension xmlns:gpxx="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3"}
{gpxx:Proximity}533.0000000{/gpxx:Proximity}
{gpxx:DisplayMode}SymbolAndName{/gpxx:DisplayMode}
{/gpxx:WaypointExtension}
{/extensions}
{/wpt}

{/gpx}

When loaded and run on Simulation I get double bong warnings and the message says:-

Alert:SW-R-GATSO:2291#40

instead of the CSV load which sates 40mph Fixed Speed Camera (or words to that effect)

Any other ideas?

Chris
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisL wrote:
When loaded and run on Simulation I get double bong warnings ...

So, the Alerts are working then. It's just the associated Audio that's missing.

Silly question...but have you renamed the .mp3 files, to match the names of the GPX files that Camera Manager produces?

Depending on which set of CSV's you initially downloaded - you would either have had files such as:
Code:

pocketgps_uk_gatso.csv
pocketgps_uk_gatso.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso.mp3  ** Your Custom Audio **

or

pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.csv
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.bmp
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.mp3   ** Your Custom Audio **

Camera Manager's equivalent files are named like this:-
Code:

PocketGPS_UK_Gatso_Forty.bmp
PocketGPS_UK_Gatso_Forty.gpx
PocketGPS_UK_Gatso_Forty.mp3  ** Your Custom Audio **

(PocketGPS_UK_Gatso_Forty_Overspeed.bmp)
(PocketGPS_UK_Gatso_Forty_Overspeed.gpx)
(PocketGPS_UK_Gatso_Forty_Overspeed.mp3)

I built a POI.GPI using your one example camera (by deleting the rest of them from the file that Camera Manager produced). It worked as expected on a Nüvi 760.

I uploaded the POI.GPI (and the files it was built from), so you can try it on your Zümo.
Click here to download.

Incidentally, I notice you've exported that GPX file from Mapsource. For more complex files than these, Mapsource & POILoader are a combination best avoided (Mapsource duplicates 'comment' fields )).
ChrisL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two sets of Audio files named as follows:-

CM Set
PocketGPS_UK_Gatso_Forty.wav

CSV Set
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.mp3

These match the associated names once the soi.exe gets done with them.
I assumed that using Soi.exe has no effect but maybe I need to save the correct format??

Your poi.gpi gave the same look and visual alert as the CM one did but not like the CSV did e.g.

CM/yours
Alerts at close distance and at that time the icon appears on the road and the visual alert as stated earlier appears.

CSV
Uses Daniel Voice (I set) then Custom Camera voice (Nick) and warns of camera as the test route turns onto road containing camera (about 400 yds sooner) using the 40mph fixed speed camera words in the box and colouring it red if over the limit. This closely resemble the actions of the Garmin Database already in the unit (which I've truned off before you ask)

The reason for the Mapsource was the easiest way to find the right camera and delete the unwanted ones for me.

Weird this one.

Chris
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisL wrote:
I have two sets of Audio files named as follows:-

CM Set
PocketGPS_UK_Gatso_Forty.wav

CSV Set
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.mp3

These match the associated names once the soi.exe gets done with them.
I assumed that using Soi.exe has no effect but maybe I need to save the correct format??

This complicates the issue slightly. Why use MP3 for one and WAV for the other? In any case, why use WAV with the MP3 capable Zümo?

There are some SOX/WAV related issues you might encounter:

• Only certain versions of SOX work. The one that Garmin shipped with 2.4.?.? Beta can be found here. Some of the later versions definitely don't work...
  • There is more than type of WAV file (it's a container format). SOX/POILoader (& Nüvi/Zümo) only seem to work with the uncompressed variety.

One clue as to whether SOX is doing anything useful, is the size of the POI.GPI that's produced. (I get about 2MB using MP3; over 7MB using WAV). (This isn't definitive proof of course, but if the POI.GPI is much smaller, the .WAVs never made it in there.)

ChrisL wrote:

Your poi.gpi gave the same look and visual alert as the CM one did but not like the CSV did

Don't forget that with CSV file input (and Automatic mode), you're using POILoader's default 36Second warning algorithm, whereas the parameters are completely tailor-able with GPX input.

Also, using CSV input, you're relying on the numbers in the filenames. POILoader generates (over)SPEED alerts from this information. Camera Manager gives you some more choices - and builds GPX files to match. The test file I sent you (and, I think, the one you were using initially) just had a PROXIMITY alert set. ("BONG BONG" is the default Proximity Alert ... a higher-pitched and repeated longer "PING" is the default Speed Alert)

FWIW - I have Camera Manager generate a PROXIMITY alert for every camera and use Custom Audio to describe it. I then have the 'overspeed' alerts set separately at a different distance, but using the default sound. So, I'm always 'told' about the camera - but if I continue to travel too fast, I get a series of agitated P-I-N-Gs to remind me to slow down.
On the Nüvi 7xx series, the different audio works - but the banner tends to stay grey (proximity) and only very rarely turns red (speed).
ChrisL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using two different sound files as that appeared to be what CM and the CSV's wanted.

I still don't know which onnes are best as I have more voice files in .mp3 than .wav but the names are not always the same.
CM appears to want different voice files but I cannot seem to find a list to go with the files it creates and the Nick voice I have has files for which no GPX gets
created.

I want to use CM to set repeats etc and so thats the way I need to get this to work.

I will dump the .wav's if I can find replacements to do so in .mp3

My file size was about 6.5Mb so you are right on the money there.

{FWIW - I have Camera Manager generate a PROXIMITY alert for every camera and use Custom Audio to describe it. I then have the 'overspeed' alerts set separately at a different distance, but using the default sound. So, I'm always 'told' about the camera - but if I continue to travel too fast, I get a series of agitated P-I-N-Gs to remind me to slow down.}

That's almost exactly what I'm trying to get but with the threshold a bit above legal so it does not keep bonging and cutting my music in the intercom off (I'm on a bike).

{On the Nüvi 7xx series, the different audio works - but the banner tends to stay grey (proximity) and only very rarely turns red (speed).}

The standard Garmin stuff shows grey until you touch the speed then bongs and goes red and keeps on until you drop speed - very irritating hence its turned off.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisL wrote:
I was using two different sound files as that appeared to be what CM and the CSV's wanted.

I can't remember where I got them from originally, but I came across a full set of WAV files on my system, that match the Camera Manager GPX files...
...they must have been supplied originally as WAVs and I've converted them to MP3 (and forgotten I'd done it!).
ChrisL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember where I got them from originally, but I came across a full set of WAV files on my system, that match the Camera Manager GPX files...
...they must have been supplied originally as WAVs and I've converted them to MP3 (and forgotten I'd done it!).

Any chance of getting a copy or at least a list of the filenames so I can compare to see if I need to find more for my set.

I have done what I can with my mp3's and now it appears that CM loads are working very similar to the Garmin ones except for the content of the box which is like this Alert:SW-R-GATSO:2291#40 instead of the pretty 40mph top line and Fixed Speed Camera second line display. At least I now control the alert timings and the voices used and will try to find out how to change the popup text.

Chris
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisL wrote:
Any chance of getting a copy or at least a list of the filenames so I can compare to see if I need to find more for my set.

I found them: http://www.zen19255.zen.co.uk/cm_help/Camera%20Manager%20Voice%20Warnings.zip

He also wrote:

...very similar to the Garmin ones except for the content of the box which is like this Alert:SW-R-GATSO:2291#40 instead of the pretty 40mph top line and Fixed Speed Camera second line display.

Unfortunately, the fields in the GPI file that control this behaviour, are not accessible to us. POILoader certainly can't do it, and last time I looked, GPI_Creator couldn't either. None of the folk who reverse-engineered the file format have shed any light on it, presumably because all the examples are 'locked/encrypted'.
ChrisL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I found them: http://www.zen19255.zen.co.uk/cm_help/Camera%20Manager%20Voice%20Warnings.zip"

Same Set I have so no difference there.

"Unfortunately, the fields in the GPI file that control this behaviour, are not accessible to us. POILoader certainly can't do it, and last time I looked, GPI_Creator couldn't either. None of the folk who reverse-engineered the file format have shed any light on it, presumably because all the examples are 'locked/encrypted'."

Thats a bit weird as when I use the .CSVs to load it I do get the grey/red boxes with the words on two lines very similar to Garmins e.g. 40mph & Speed Limit Ahead at range then two occurrences of 40mph & Speed Alert. I assumed these were part of the loaded files but they must be triggered by the CSV contents and controlled by the internal software of the unit. I prefer this look but much more prefer CMs warning/troigger control so I am stuck with it unless I can figure out a way round it - presumably its the format of the GPX that needs a tweek to make it work - will try experiments.
ChrisL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have figured out part of the box message differences:-

CM's GPX file uses # to separate the name of the camera from its limit whereas the CSV's use a @ symbol.
Manually changing the CM files entry for a camera to a @ makes it display in two lines, one stating the limit and the other stating either Speed Limit Ahead or Speed Alert once you get closer. Now this is not quite as informative as Garmin's which states 40mph on line one the same but Average Speed Camera Ahead then Average Camera on the second line i.e. telling you which type of camera it is. This may be a bit of a moot point as the text is so small that you can't read it and ride at the same time!!

I think I'll ask Ash if there is a way to change the # to @ in the files easily.
ChrisL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a chat with Ash10 and it sppears that Zumo/PoiLoader works a bit differently then the NUvi/Streetpilots.

The @ and # are used for Overspeed and Approach warnings so all my change did was make the Approach into an Overspeed warning.

Nearest thing we have managed is to set Approach to 0 and set Overspeed at say 30secs and not separate out the Approach/Overspeed warnings. This gives the pretty boxes but of course if you enter inside the zone where an Approach would normally sound you get nothing until you exceed the Overspeed threhold.
Not perfect but I will persevere to find a better solution somehow

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: