Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - am i doing something wrong??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

am i doing something wrong??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: am i doing something wrong?? Reply with quote

tomtom one IQ europe
whenever i download the camera database my tomtom on the first startup after the download takes a long time (maybe 2 or 3 mins) to get a satelite fix. normally it achieves this in seconds.
when i have finished the download and copied into my map folder once the red cross goes out on the unit's screen i pull the mini usb lead out from the base of my unit and i get the yellow 'loading up' line on the bottom of the screen and then have to press the 'i agree' button and then the unit tries to get a fix. if i look on the gps status screen all the co-ordinates are at zero and the small symbol that indicates the unit is searching does rotate.
i'm wondering if i am doing something wrong when i finish the update or is this normal behaviour for this unit?
thanks in advance.
tony.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the taking time to get satellite fix is concerned, that's fairly normal. An update can wipe out the data relating to where the satnav knows satellites should be. It then has to re-learn this from the satellites themselves which can take some time.

I'm more worried about how you are disconnecting the device. Just because the red cross has gone out doesn't make it safe. You should be using either the eject function in Home or "safely remove hardware" from the status bar in Windows or "eject" on the right-click menu of the drive icon in My Computer.

Just pulling the plug when you think it's OK can cause many problems including lost data. This goes for any USB device.
Brodit ProClip mount
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't mention what camera data you are using e.g. either TT's own or the Pocket GPS ones. If using TT ones I guess you are using Home do you use the disconnect device feature before pulling the usb plug? If using the Pocket GPS ones assuming you have a windows PC you will be using Explorer to copy and paste but you still need to formally disconnect the device before pulling the plug. Formal disconnection of the device allows your TT to write its closing file registers correctly. This maybe the cause of your problem so that when you start up it has to create its set of file registers before it can do any ongoing processing.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks eric and gerry
i have been downloading the pocket gps cams. i am guilty of removing the mini usb directly and not using the safely remove hardware option.
i will now do so and see if that improves matters.
thanks for replies.
tony.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-reading your first post, it could be the cause of the problem. Just updating the camera files shouldn't lead to the fix taking longer - I was thinking about firmware or map upgrades. I also don't get an "I agree" button but that's probably some "safety" feature.
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: