Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Magnetic mount for PDA? safe?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Magnetic mount for PDA? safe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
accordvsick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Magnetic mount for PDA? safe? Reply with quote

My first time posting here.

I own a IPAQ with pharos navi kit and have it hooked up to the vent mount holder that came with it.

I just purchased a Creative Nomad Zen XTRA MP3 player and would like to mount this also. I am looking for a bendable arm holder where i can use velcro or a magnetic strip to hold the player in place (attatch to the back of the mp3 player). The reason being, all the buttons on my MP3 player are located on the sides of the player. Therefore, many of the universal holders out there clasps onto the sides of the device it is holding, this will not work in my case. So i have to look for a holder that will attatch using velcro or magnet only.

My question is.....where can i find a holder with a bendable arm and does not clasp onto the sides of the device?

Also if i go with the magnetic strip route.......is this safe for my mp3 player?

thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the mp3 player contains a Hard Disk (I'm sure the Nomad does) then you DO NOT want to use a magnetic mount of any sort, if you do you run a high risk of destroying the disk.
accordvsick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. Here is what one of the sellers said in his e-mail to me question:

how are you. To my knowledge it is save to use with any electronic device because the magnet is on the base (part that attaches to your vehicle) and not on the part that is continuously attached to your device (small thin non magnetic metal disc). I currently have hundreds of people using this and no complaints or concerns reported to us yet. That's the best I can offer you for an answer to your question.
Thank you
Garrin
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you have my advice, if you think it's worth risking the destruction of your Nomad go for it, I strongly advise you find an alternative method of mounting that does not use magnets.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetic mount for PDA? safe? Reply with quote

accordvsick wrote:
I just purchased a Creative Nomad Zen XTRA MP3 player and would like to mount this also.

How are you finding the Zen XTRA ? Have you had a hard disk MP3 player before ? I have the Archos Jukebox 20, but am looking to either upgrade to the ZEN XTRA 60Gb or the iPod, but still can't make up my mind. I think I'm probably ore swaying towards the ZEN, but the thing I love with the Archos is it's just an extra hard drive in Windows XP where as the ZEN and I think iPod aren't, so you can't just drag and drop. There is a prog out you can purchase that gives an explorer like interface for the ZEN. All of my MP3's are ripped in MusicMatch.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRiver iHP-100 is the one I'd suggest you take a looksie at ;)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iRiver HP-140 looks good and is probably more what I'm after, but the only downside I see is it's only a 40gb hard drive for what you can get a 60Gb Zen for. TBH, I probably wouldn't fill up 40Gb, I'm still struggling to fill up my 20Gb Archos, but 60Gb would be nice. Damn shame you can't use the Zen like a removable hard disk, would be good for storing other things too.
biggy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will this http://pdamods.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SJMAGVENT hold an ipaq 3660 with cf expansion pack?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, would the weight of the pack pull it down? probably, would I trust a PocketPC and Jacket to a £10 magnetic holder? NO Sad
biggy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops double post - sorry cant seemto edit that post.

how about the vent clip then mate? from pdamods for £7.99, u reckon tha be good enough?

i dont wanna spend stupid amounts of cash on cradle and mount etc, i just want a cheap solution.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vent clip would be better, it hasa button you affix to your PDA which uses 3m adhesive, won't come off. You may still have an issue with the weight of the iPAQ and jacket pulling the clip down so that it tilts towards the floor, depends a lot on what type of vents you have, car type etc but much better than the magnet one Smile
biggy7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers darren, will prob got for one of these then Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: