Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Australian databse
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Australian databse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robowen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Australian databse Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I've been a reguler user of this site for a while now and have now moved out to australia.
I was wondering if the Australian database obtained through tomtom would be a better option than the tomtom database in this site.
This site is primarily used by uk drivers (I might be wrong), and therefore I feel that the ozzie database wouldn't be updated nearly as much as the tomtom one.
Are there many australian members updating the database ?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our australian database is of a very high standard indeed! we have quite a few verifiers out there too as well as a high number of users/submitters.

for australia i'd certainly recommend ours over tomtom's.

MaFt
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Australian databse Reply with quote

robowen wrote:
Hi everyone, I've been a reguler user of this site for a while now and have now moved out to australia.
I was wondering if the Australian database obtained through tomtom would be a better option than the tomtom database in this site.
This site is primarily used by uk drivers (I might be wrong), and therefore I feel that the ozzie database wouldn't be updated nearly as much as the tomtom one.
Are there many australian members updating the database ?

Yes indeed! I too moved from the UK to Oz 2 years ago. The scenario here is a little different to the UK for several reasons: Australia is obviously a much, much bigger country with a lower population (and fixed camera) density. Some aspects of speed enforcement are different, but the policing is more rigorous and it's a much bigger deal if you get caught (e.g. double demerits in NSW over Easter/Xmas = half your license gone for being 5km over the speed limit) All this means that the quality of the speed camera database is more important to me here than it was in the UK, where I was never particularly in fear of losing my license.

Back to your question: I've stuck with PGPSW because I've not found another site with the same level of technology, responsiveness and thoroughness in its approach to database updates. This is particularly true for the mobile sites, where PGPSW is still years ahead of the local competition. The static sites are well published by the state government and press, and therefore eventually get covered by all the active databases (although PGPSW is faster). Every time a new camera is deployed in a high traffic site in Sydney, hundreds of people lose their licenses until everyone eventually figures out where it is. The last two high profile cameras were both in the PGPSW database before the cameras went live. Yeah, OK, I logged them.

I don't know where you live, but Sydney is currently tendering for all its redlight cameras to be replaced by digital redspeeds - I don't plan to find out via the post where/when they start rolling them out.

It's a no-brainer really - once you've got used to the ability to make database submissions and get frequent updates, there's no going back...

PS: Forgot to add that radar detectors are illegal here - and that police have radar detector detectors...
Marinemw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Aussie reports Reply with quote

Hi from Darwin, Northern Territory.
Here we have a new regime of installations of "speed-redlight" cams, i've uploaded them today with some well know "mobile" locations.

Please keep up the good work and lets make this an accurate database for Aussie cams, I use my Tomtom in NSW and WA when I visit and yes, agree with above that our licence depends on it, lots of Speedcams and Police in Oz

Thanks & Rgds
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome! and thanks for submitting Smile
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Aussie reports Reply with quote

Marinemw wrote:
Hi from Darwin, Northern Territory.
Here we have a new regime of installations of "speed-redlight" cams, i've uploaded them today with some well know "mobile" locations.

Please keep up the good work and lets make this an accurate database for Aussie cams, I use my Tomtom in NSW and WA when I visit and yes, agree with above that our licence depends on it, lots of Speedcams and Police in Oz

Thanks & Rgds

Welcome and thanks for the good work! Remember you stand in line for free membership for submitting a fixed camera that is subsequently verified.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: