Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Walking in the Dolomites with a Solar Monkey
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Walking in the Dolomites with a Solar Monkey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigAl-2418
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Walking in the Dolomites with a Solar Monkey Reply with quote

I have 3 queries
Firstly - A group of us are intending planning a 7 day walk in the dolomites using the various huts on the way for overnight stops next September
SatMap tell me that they should have the maps available by then for use with my Active 10
Does anyone know if these huts have facilities for charging up phones or the Satmap?
Secondly - Is the power delivered from the Solar Monkey and Solar Nut sufficient to power the Active 10 for the week given 5 - 6hrs a day walking, little use as possible other than tracking and reduced screen display and, hopefully glorious sunlight. Given the monkey's voltage as 4 - 6v, batt capacity 150mAh, Working current 250mA Max (for the techies amongst you)?
I will leave the solar panel/nut plugged in all the time whilst walking.
Third - If the answer to the above is no, and after finishing walking and taking into account the Active 10 requires to be left on to charge, is it false economy to use the monkey to charge as the charging rate may be less than the power it requires to remain on assuming it is still sunny?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Walking in the Dolomites with a Solar Monkey Reply with quote

BigAl-2418 wrote:
Given the monkey's voltage as 4 - 6v, batt capacity 150mAh, Working current 250mA Max

If the output is as poor as that I wouldn't bother taking it with me its not going to be of anything like serious use when you consider the built in rechargeable pack is 2700mA capacity, at only 150mA capacity you would need 18 monkeys to supply a single charge to the battery pack (assuming your figures are correct).

I would look at the U2O product range and grab a couple of 5400mA battery packs, these are not solar but if fully charged before your trip you should get more than a week out of the active 10 if used carefuly - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: