Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC support from TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC support from TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGeneral365
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: RDS-TMC support from TomTom Reply with quote

Is it me or is this (below) the most completely useless set of instructions ever from TomTom support.
The 2 files attached are
gns.rar containing 1 file mctx.dat
and
70002.2.mctx-dat.high-end.Aug08.cab containing a directory "gns" containing 2 files gnsdata and TmcEApi.so

I've tried following their instructions to the word, as I'm not really sure if the TomTom would auto Extract the data, but I've also copied out the files and replaced the files on the tomTom. The latter stops the RDS from working completely.

Your views are welcome before I sent a snotogram back to TomTom support.

Robert

-------------------------------------------------------

Recently you requested personal assistance from our support centre. Below is a summary of your request and our response. To update this incident, log in at www.tomtom.com/support and click My Questions History. We will consider your issue resolved if you do not update it in the next 3 days.
You can reopen the incident within 28 days of closing. If after that time you require further investigation, please open a new incident.

Thank you for your support request.

Subject
RDS TMC Receiver

Discussion Thread
Response (Lorna T. (UK)) 11/09/2009 03.50 PM
Dear Mr Lee,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care
The reference number for your query is 090906-000656.

With reference to the RDS TMC receiver, please can you try the following:

I have attached two .rar files to this email. Please can you unzip them with WINRAR. Save them both to your desktop.

One file is mctx.rar and the other is GNS.rar.

We need you to place these files into your device. However, please can you make sure you have a backup first. To do this, open HOME and go to backup/restore - backup.

Once you have a backup, please close HOME.

Now go to 'my computer' - open the TomTom drive. Please paste the mctx.rar file directly into here. If asked to replace existing file, say yes.

Inside the root of the TomTom, you will see a folder called GNS. Please can you paste the GNS.rar file into here. Again, replace existing file if asked.

Now can you run the clear flash tool:

- Click on http://www.tomtom.com/updates/clear_flash/clear_flash.exe to run the clear flash tool.
(TomTom Home must be completely closed before running this tool)
- Install the Clear Flash tool
- Disconnect your TomTom from the Computer

Reset the device to its factory settings, via the main menu - change preferences.

Now connect the RDS TMC receiver again and it should now be working.

If not, please let me know.

With Kind Regards

Lorna

The TomTom Customer Care Team

Should you wish to reply to this email, please log in to your TomTom account via the TomTom website.
Click on ‘My TomTom’ in the top right - ‘My Questions History', click on the title of your email then click on 'Update Question'.

You can also attach documents that you wish to send to us by clicking on 'Browse'. You can then find the document you wish to attach and click on 'Add Attachment'.
-----------------------------------------------
Response (Lorna T. (UK)) 07/09/2009 04.11 PM
Dear Mr Lee,

The reference number for your query is 090906-000656.

I cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this challenge. I have sent your question to our 2nd line technical department.

I hope to have an answer for you as soon as possible, please bear with us while we find a solution for your query.

With Kind Regards

Lorna

The TomTom Customer Care Team

Should you wish to reply to this email, please log in to your TomTom account via the TomTom website.
Click on ‘My TomTom’ in the top right - ‘My Questions History', click on the title of your email then click on 'Update Question'.

You can also attach documents that you wish to send to us by clicking on 'Browse'. You can then find the document you wish to attach and click on 'Add Attachment'.
Customer (Robert Lee) 05/09/2009 05.56 PM
With reference to support case 090616-009904.
App 8.351 (9982/090518) OS:315187
Map 'Western Europe' v835.2419

I purchased the TomTom RDS TMC receiver on 31/5/09 from you.
I fully followed your advice on re-installing software as per the support note. But this did not improve the operation of the receiver. Before and after performing these steps the RDS TMC receiver was working, although it would only work near the M25.

We have now completed a 2000 mile journey to Venice, through UK, France, Switzland and Italy.

The RDS TMC receiver worked 1 time in the UK on the M25, it showed a signal in other countries too. However for the whole journey back to the UK, the unit just says "searching for signal". I tried many attempts to reset, power cycle, reconnect, during the journey home, but nothing makes the unit work any more.

This weekend I tried to use the unit again, but still it says "Searching for signal".

This is the most unreliable piece of hardware you produce and is not fit for purpose, and I am very disappointed with it. I just does not work. So I am requesting to return the product for a full refund.

Regards

Robert Lee
Auto-Response 05/09/2009 05.56 PM
Title: What's new in the latest application for TomTom GO, ONE and RIDER?
Link: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_uk.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=6141&p_created=1156431247

Title: TomTom Returns Policy
Link: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_uk.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=9741&p_created=1211198862

Title: TomTom Traffic Solutions
Link: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_uk.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=9603&p_created=1207554750

Title: How much data traffic does TomTom Traffic generate?
Link: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_uk.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=1576&p_created=1085664095

Title: What is map activation?
Link: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_uk.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=82&p_created=1102757040

Question Reference #090906-000656
Product Level 1: Car Navigation
Product Level 2: TomTom GO 720
Category Level 1: Orders
Date Created: 05/09/2009 05.56 PM
Last Updated: 11/09/2009 03.50 PM
Operating system PC: Windows XP
App version: 8.351
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have been experiencing problems with the TMC not working due to a file problem in the latest map upgrade but this seems to result in a total failure to recognise the device.

In your case it appears to be recognised and is searching for a signal. It could just be that it cannot find a strong enough signal in your car. I have both types of TMC, two different Go's and they just will not get a useable signal in my car. They will work outside of the car so they are not faulty. I assume the problem in my car is the heated windscreen with its metal elements which are earthed forming a Faraday cage and severely attenuating the signal. The only solution would be for me to connect the TMC to an external antenna.

In the end I just gave up and subscribed to the GPRS traffic for the 530T.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the device, locate your map folder either UK&ROI or Western Europe will be its name, open this folder and check the size of the following files:

tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat

If they are 0Kb then you need to open the map download file on your computer and copy the two files to the device, this is a known issue with the newer v835 map, if your files are not 0Kb then ignore this post, if they are 0Kb and you need more advice please reply - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: