Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshare Gremlin's at work ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshare Gremlin's at work ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Mapshare Gremlin's at work ? Reply with quote

I've done many trips from Portsmouth to London way via the A3 & my Go has always worked faultlessly but the last two trips have been odd & I have put it down to mapeshare but want your opinion.

I get to Guilford on the A3 & it tells me to turn off taking me off the A3 then connect back onto the A3 just past Guilford, I know this is wrong so I stay on the A3 & get to my destination after it reroutes. This has happened twice so today,at home, I set that route again looked at where it takes me off the A3 & used map corrections to unblock that part of the A3 at Guliford then as if by magic when I put the route in again it's all back to normal keeping me on the A3.

Is it a good time to turn mapshare off if so how do you remove all mapshare updates from the past off the unit or do you think it is something else that has caused this road to be blocked.

Thanks
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Home--Mapshares--Remove all changes (or whatever the proper naming is) but that's how you can do it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Home.... it's the Tools menu / Mapshare / Remove corrections you need.
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks I will do that
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might just want to change your level of trust on map share corrections to a higher level so only those verified by TomTom or TT+ Trusted Sources (whoever they are). Lower levels of trust can lead to these issues where people block roads through their village to try to reduce traffic etc.

There are many different points of view on here from trust everyone to don't even trust TomTom so try different settings to see which is the best for you.
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
You might just want to change your level of trust on map share corrections to a higher level so only those verified by TomTom or TT+ Trusted Sources (whoever they are). Lower levels of trust can lead to these issues where people block roads through their village to try to reduce traffic etc.

There are many different points of view on here from trust everyone to don't even trust TomTom so try different settings to see which is the best for you.

Yes thanks have done that but still that part of the A3 Guildford is blocked so I removed all mapshare updates & it's gone but when I update using mapshare at set at the highest level the A3 it re routes off the A3 then around Guliford back onto the A3 again. So I have just removed all Mapshare updates until it's sorted.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just leave the trust settings as they were, and correct the 'closed' road and reopen it? That way Tomtom will get reports of it actually NOT being blocked.

If you don't report it, then they will never know it is actually open!

iPhone 12
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
How about just leave the trust settings as they were, and correct the 'closed' road and reopen it? That way Tomtom will get reports of it actually NOT being blocked.

If you don't report it, then they will never know it is actually open!

That's what I tried first but each time I corrected it & it worked as soon as I connected to home mapshare put the problem straight back onto the unit
Sad
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should use your corrections over anybody elses! Whats the co ordinates of the affected area and i`ll check it out on my two devices! Smile

iPhone 12
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
It should use your corrections over anybody elses! Whats the co ordinates of the affected area and i`ll check it out on my two devices! Smile

It's on the A3 as you pass Guilford, it should keep you on the A3 bypassing guilford centre but it takes me off the A3 then rejoins the A3 just pst Guilford.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it on fastest route on both the 530 and 940 using latest maps and software and both take me straight up the A3 through Guildford and out the other side. Tried the opposite direction and this also works fine. I use strict as my map share settings.

Are you using shortest route or any other type of route rather than fastest?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make sure this isn't due to IQ Routes data you should also specify date and time of travel and the rough start/ finish locations as these will all have a bearing on the route the device decides to use. In addition what Navcoe version and map release have you got installed? - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Last week, in reaction to a small criticism that I don't use Mapshare, I got out my trusty SD card, copied everything to it and then used it to download mapshare "corrections!" with trust level set to accept everything from everybody.

So this week, here's just a few I have found...

M4 60mph stretch going into London from Heathrow set at 59mph, right up to the second (that's NOT the first) 40mph camera.

A344 at Stonehenge variously 59mph and 40mph and 59mph.

B390 from Shrewton toweards Chittern 59mph.

M5 around Junction 9 at 71mph.

OK, so I'm using app8.302 with my map 830, but that's so that I can hear the spoken instructions. The 1mph differences predated v8.302 by quite a considerable margin.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The +/- 1mph issue is a well documented bug DennisN.

Has been fixed for some time depending on the version of the application on the device!

My 940 does not have this issue. Therefore, negating THAT issue, yes a lot of roads have incorrect speed limits. Tomtom/ Teleatlas ARE getting better at them, but remember, you CAN opt to display only your speed and not the speed of the road.

And more importantly, the Tomtom does NOT use the road speed to determine how long it will take to travel a route. It uses the type (Motorway/ A road dual carriageway/ A road single carriageway etc etc)!

So the issue with the slightly incorrectly displayed road speeds is, IMHO, not worth never using mapshare!

I use it for work, have corrected Newcastle City Centre and surrounds to the point where it never takes me somewhere I cant go etc. With every map update, there are less corrections to make to the data!

iPhone 12
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
remember, you CAN opt to display only your speed and not the speed of the road.

Hmm, neat philosophy. But I'm already opting NOT to update to app 8.351 because of the volume "issue", which I understand some people think is not worth worrying about. And I'm opting NOT to download mapshare "corrections" because of the problems with them, which I understand some people think is not worth worrying about (incidentally, I find the same as somebody else, that downloading mapshare "corrections" seems to cause an "issue" with map refresh/hesitation). And I'm using a separate device for hands free phone calls (in other words opting NOT to use hands free) in order to avoid the hands free crashing "issue" which some people think is not worth worrying about. If I wished, I could opt to NOT use sound in order to avoid the stuttering "issue" which some people think is not worth bothering about. etc.

This forum is filled with posts from a whole load of different people who are rolling back to previous versions of software and who are seeking or finding various hacks and work-arounds to overcome "issues" with their TT devices, otherwise known as "well documented bugs", which sadly take the gloss off what could be a terrific device.

I do hope the Beta testers will get the x50 models put right in every respect, because I can't wait to get my hands on one (which works). But I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, more work-arounds (like turning off the speed display) don't take us any closer to TomTom getting their devices to work like it says on the tin.

But right now, I'd settle for having my 920T upgrading to just two of the features on the tin...

1) A volume which I can hear whilst driving.

2) Operate stable handsfree bluetooth phone connections.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: