Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Big budget. What shall I tell Dad to get?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Big budget. What shall I tell Dad to get?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jago25_98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Big budget. What shall I tell Dad to get? Reply with quote

I think his budget is big, very different to my budget and needs.

I'm looking for:

- ease of use
- Traffic rerouting
- easy map updates
- easy speed camera updates

& ideally something that won't be useless if the company making it goes bust in 10 years time (this is my ideology)

Is TomTom the best? I notice the maps tend to be up to 2 years out of date.
Garmin is a name that carries weight with me, but that doesn't mean they know how to do road routing.
I also wonder which road network mapping company the various companies use is best. I would prefer a source from Ordnance Survey.

Obviously there are reviews abound but it's the word of the forum I trust.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, just wait for all the committed souls to go for this one. If there was one answer, there'd only be one manufacturer. As it is you'll get recommendations for all of them, simply because "we" all use different ones.

And how do you define "Easy"? More important, how does your dad define "Easy". Is he up to connecting a USB device to a PC, then using Windows Explorer and the Internet?

So my recommendation is for a TomTom device because they're the ones I prefer - I've briefly tried a few others and for me the User Interface is by far the best on the TT. This recommendation is a little hesitant nowadays, because TT have over the last couple of years seemed to go backwards instead of forwards - there have been two new model ranges since the one I'm using and although I'm a must have the latest gadget geek, I have resisted the temptation to get any of them because they don't seem to be moving on from TT's past reputation and actual performance. According to all normal trading practice, I'm rather expecting them to release a new model range quite soon (guesswork based simply on how long since the last new models came out, I have no insider information), so I'm waiting to see what comes out and what new buyers have to say about them.

PS - I'm soon to be 70, if your dad is concerned his age may be a hindrance.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that ALL the "up to date" maps are up to two years out of date, no matter which satnav you get. There's a basic time lag between the mapping company producing data and satnav companies putting it out there.

You will find all over this forum complaints that new roads and layouts which have been in existence for far longer than two years still have not been incorporated into satnav maps. That's the way of the world. The only mapping companies I know of (in my ignorance) are Navteq and TeleAtlas.

As for something that won't be useless in ten years time if the company goes bust - as far as I'm concerned, ANYTHING will be useless in ten years time because satnav hardware won't look like anything we're using today. For you, it'll be printed on your shirt cuff or available Heads Up on your spectacles, for me it'll be embedded in my pipe and slippers and zimmer frame!

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
for me it'll be embedded in my pipe and slippers and zimmer frame!

or coffin... Wink

regarding mapping i have found navteq to be better around my area (yorkshire) with updates that i have submitted via their website being incorporated within a year (probably less than a year but it's hard to judge unless you buy every quarterly update!)

tomtom, garmin and navigon all do a map update offer - tomtom's you pay a fee for 4 updates in the year, garmin's you pay a bit ore but it gives you free map updates for the life of your device. i'm not 100% certain on navigon's but i THINK it is the same as tomtom's - ie you pay a fee and you get 1 years worth of updates.

regarding which device to get then that's a tough one really! they all have their pro's and cons... perhaps if you could give us some actual device features you would like (spoken street names, mp3 player, fm transmitter, lane-assistant etc) then we could help a bit more?

MaFt
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said by DennisN and Andy_P that's a loaded question Wink

But out of my Navigon, Garmin and TomTom I prefer the TomTom Laughing
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jago25_98.

My TomTom GO730 does all of the things you mention you require. It is a mid range SatNav with the ability to expand. I am very happy with it but would probably be equally happy with something from Garmin or another manufacturer.

Like others have said here, it is a very personal decision. I think, feature wise, that the Garmin equivalent would be the Nuvi 765T and for roughly the same money if you are prepared to hunt for the best prices. (Maybe that should be TTgo730T v GarminNuvi765T but i don't need the "T" function)

I am not familiar with other manufacturers.

I have owned (briefly) a Garmin 760 and found it to be an equally capable machine. I was unfortunate in that it soon broke and needed to be replaced so I chose TT as a replacement. The TT would have been replaced by now also if it were not for this forum providing essential advice.

They both do the basic job of navigating very easily. The main difference is in what other functions they provide and the ease at which they do it. Both the Garmin and TT maps were "Out of Date" after installing the latest available maps and both can chose some strange routes between A&B. Common sense prevails.

From memory I found the Garmin to be slightly more user friendly from opening the box but the downloading and installing POI's such as SafetyCams, much trickier. With the TT it is simply downloading a file and unzipping it onto your TT. The Garmin employs a PoiLoader middleman which wasn't so easy to comprehend, maybe things have moved on since then though. Anyway, anything becomes second nature after a while.

My experience of technical support from either Garmin or TT is that it is dire from both companies.

So, I Guess I am saying that I vote for a TTgo730, not because it is any better than anything else but because i feel confident in recommending it.

Good Luck.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
jago25_98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt because the map update offers sound good.

Of those features the lane assist is the only one that sounds properly useful.

The updating I think should be as easy as plugging it in by USB and running an update program. And by that I mean, maps, the software itself and good speed camera locations.

In terms of useful in 10 years time here's what I could mean by that. I have owned 2 old laptops in the past (about 10 years old). One of them was IBM and tended to be the sort of thing that experts used to own before they upgraded years ago. Being owned by people in the know it is still useful because the experts have written and kept updated the drivers for it. It can still be used for web browsing.
On the other hand I used to have a Toshiba. The sound drivers didn't work on this and when the BIOs battery broke I found it was soldered in. In the end my brother put a password on the CMOS accidently, and because it was a rare and old thing it ended up going in the skip.

A similar thing will happen to Sat Nav devices in the end. Can the maps be updated with different sources? My brother has the Ordance survey raster maps covering Great Britain. It would be nice to load that on, for example.

That side is less important however, this is more for my interest and ideology. I'm sure dad would disregard it if his Sat Nav is bricked in 3 years time.
Code:
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Lane Assistance is as useful as a chocolate teapot - it is computer logic based, NOT actual accurate mapping and can sometimes be less than helpful - far better keep his glasses clean and look out of the windscreen!

If dad doesn't drive round with music on all/most/much of the time, mp3 player and FM transmitter are gimmicks too.

Really useful is spoken guidance and street names using computer generated voices

TomTom maps and software are updated by plug and play their provided program - there is not really any other option - which is sad, because their provided program is flaky. They also offer speed cameras, equally easily updated by that same program (one model actually does it on the road if you subscribe to the LIVE services, £8 a month). But their camera database isn't a patch on the one available from PocketGPSWorld, annual subscription £20. The Pgpsw database is a case of connect to this site, go to the camera downloads page, select the particular set of cameras matching your device and download a zip file. Unzip the file and then copy and paste them into the device via the same USB connection plug. Our cameras are far more comprehensive, far more accurate and far more customizable than the TT ones. Oh, and our support function is on a different planet compared to TT - or maybe I should say we're on this planet and TT is out there somewhere beyond where no man dares to go or something! - you started this thread 13 hours ago and already have several useful replies - with TomTom (and I suspect any other satnav manufacturer's support site) you'd be this morning reading the autoresponse which says they'll answer within 48 working hours.

Edited to add.... Do please be aware that you are getting personal opinions here (from us all) and what I don't like (e.g. music players), other people find absolutely essential.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually like lane assistance BUT i hate tomtom's so-called 'reality view' where it covers the map screen with a mock-up of how the junction looks.

good uses of it are:

igo 8:

sygic mobile 2009:

they help you know in advance which lane to be in BUT without getting in the way of everything else.

MaFt
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, isn't everyone missing the point. With a big budget just get one of each and stick them all on the windscreen. The downside is that they can argue as to which is the best route. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Brodit ProClip mount
jago25_98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not clear what to get :p

Which offers the best customer support? Have you had a good experience.

I kind thought there might be one out there for a couple of hundered quid extra that would be the best or something but I guess it's not as clear as that.

So many choices. It's hard work. I guess I could just tell him to get the top of the range of any make.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about approaching this from a different angle, what does he expect or need from the device, consider some of the following options:

1/ Handsfree for mobile phone
2/ mp3 Player
3/ FM Transmitter
4/ Bluetooth HiFi audio output (needs car equipped with BT though)
5/ Additional/ expandable storage capacity
6/ Traffic data
7/ Active mount (remains connected to car with device removed)
8/ Windscreen mount/ dashboard mount
9/ Regular map updates (at least 2 map updates per year)
10/ How much have you got in mind to spend?

I wouldn't hold much hope for technical support and most suppliers will score the same (low) - If you get an issue or need advice there is a wealth of knowledge available from this forum which is free - Mike
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough Embarassed

Let me put up a mention for Navigon as it fulfils your Dad's main requirement - it's expensive!

But it is also generally considered extremely good by its owners (as DenninN said!), though hardly perfect. If you have a look at a couple of the forum threads for new model introductions you might get a feel for the facilities (incidentally, re an earlier post, Navigon's maps have a 2-year, 4 x a year, supply option, which is included with some of their more higher range models). As has been said though they all have their good/bad points for different people. Incidentally traffic data has been mentioned, but of course it's a re-routing capability that can be particularly useful.

Perhaps if your dad went into Halfords or somewhere to have a play with different makes, he might get a better idea (but DON'T necessarily believe what the assistant recommends/badmouths as that's probably more a reflection of commission rates than knowledeable technical assessments.

Last edited by BigPerk on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wasn't... but now that you mention it...

Out of here

Back on topic please.
Brodit ProClip mount
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jago25_98 wrote:
Which offers the best customer support? Have you had a good experience.

many on here praise garmin's customer service and i, too, have had fast responses from them either by email or via their freephone support number. i've not had to contact them for a couple of years though so can;t say whether they have kept that up!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: