Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kate computer voice has gone..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kate computer voice has gone..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ootoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Kate computer voice has gone.. Reply with quote

My Go730 has just been upgraded by TTH, since when Kate has disappeared.

After struggling for hours with fresh upgrades, moving "old" Kate from previous version backups, even trying a hard reset and reformatting - still no joy.

TT support told me how to get her back but, despite following all their instructions to the letter, there's no Kate. Her files are there but she doesn't appear in the device's voice selection menu (Jane and other non-computer voices do, including that wonderful Silent voice). Neither can I access the set of sub-menus asking options what the computer voice should speak.

Speed cam warnings are now just beeps, there are no road names, no oddball foreign pronunciations which helped keep one amused. Nix...

I need Kate - any ideas on how to get her back?

Thanks to all her fans

Ootoph
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got an SD card inserted to the device? if so remove it and connect the unit to TomTom Home then use the update option and check which voice files are installed - if need ne add the Kate voice files to the device again using Home.

It is easy to update the application using Home but you can put the Navcore on to the SD card by accident which can cause the loss of certain features, if this is what you have done the above will get Kate back then we can look at deleting certain files / folders from the SD card - Mike
ootoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that quick reply, Mike. No, I don't have an SD card in place and the instructions you gave for getting Kate going again didn't get her back as a voice choice on the menu.

I deleted all stored downloaded Loquendo files on the PC so TTH had to put a fresh set downline before transferring them to the 730's main memory (not SD card). I'd deleted all voice files from the 730 beforehand too so TTH had a clear field.

The non-computer voices were all there - but again no Kate as a voice option, even though her Loquendo files had been refreshed from scratch and her file was in the Voices folder also.

Any other ideas? Are there any files I can safely delete from the 730's main memory to get a bit more free space maybe?

Thanks again for your help

Ootoph
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Now, use Explorer to delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Start home and you should be offered the application. Accept and install.

Is the issue resolved?
ootoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much but sadly, no.

TTH says Kate is on the device. The Loquendo folder (deleted so as to force a reinstall) on both the My Computer Download and on the device is back again, refreshed by a new download. My voice selection includes both Jane and Special 39 - but no Kate.

It's this that I cannot understand. Navcore 8.351 is there as expected, everything else works. There's no card. The only extras are speedcams and POIs from this site.

I'm seriously thinking of sending the device to TomTom for investigation - but I know it's going to be something simple! So that would be a last resort.

Looking at the visitor numbers to this thread, I wonder if this is a common problem or if others are curious as to how it gets resolved.

Thanks for the help all the same - every little helps (as they say)!

Ootoph
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on... You keep saying that it's Kate that's missing. Is it actually that NO computer voices work? That's a different thing entirely!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect the device to the PC and shut down TomTom Home, use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the device and locate the LoquendoTTS folder, right click this folder and select "Properties" report back with the folder size - Mike
ootoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Hang on... You keep saying that it's Kate that's missing. Is it actually that NO computer voices work? That's a different thing entirely!

No,everything else - all the other voices - work fine. It is just Kate that's missing from Voice Preferences.

In the past, when Kate worked, selecting and confirming a voice (like Jane) in Voice Preferences threw up a series of screens relating to options for the computer voice. Those no longer appear now, either. Neither does the voice option for the speedcam POIs.

Hope that describes the problem in a bit more detail. Thanks for the response, too.

Ootoph
ootoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Connect the device to the PC and shut down TomTom Home, use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the device and locate the LoquendoTTS folder, right click this folder and select "Properties" report back with the folder size - Mike

Thanks, Mike.

The size on disk (ie TT730) is 47.8 MB (50,184,192 bytes). The folder contains 28 files, 6 folders.

Cheers - ootoph
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ootoph wrote:

No,everything else - all the other voices - work fine. It is just Kate that's missing from Voice Preferences.

But do you have any other COMPUTER (TTS) voices installed? "Simon" is the only other UK one...

ootoph wrote:
In the past, when Kate worked, selecting and confirming a voice (like Jane) in Voice Preferences threw up a series of screens relating to options for the computer voice. Those no longer appear now, either. Neither does the voice option for the speedcam POIs.

Hope that describes the problem in a bit more detail. Thanks for the response, too.

Ootoph

Have you tried a "return to factory settings" from the preferences menu? (followed by another reset - using the hole in the bottom)
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you deleted the Loquendo folder then there are two files in there that are installed with the Navcore and are version specific.

If HOME thinks Kate is installed then leave the Loquendo folder alone and reinstall the Navcore - it will put the correct versions of the two missing files back and everything should be OK

In the bin folder you should have LTTS7AudioBoard.so and in the lib folder you should have LoqAudioBoard.so

If these files are missing or are the wrong version you will not have any TTS voices.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ootoph, Sorry, but I am getting lost in what you have done and what you have not. This is what I would try in your position.

1a) It's a bit long winded so pour your self a drink and get comfy. Not too boozy, you will need a clear head.!

1) Make a full Windows Explorer Back-up onto your computer (Yes, another one).
2) Find or buy a spare SD card of at least 2Gb capacity. With the TT off, plug in the SD card. Turn on your TT.
3) Connect TT to your computer. Let TT HOME start up fully and then shut it down without doing anything via TT HOME.
4) Using WindowsExplorer select the Root on your TT. Select "Show Hidden Files" from within WinExplorers properties.
5) CUT and paste ALL folders and files from your TT root folder onto the SD card.
6) Safely disconnect your TT from the computer. Let the TT do it's stuff and find it's new configuration. Wait a little bit longer and switch the TT off.
7) Remove the SD card and switch the TT back on.
8) Connect the (now completely empty) TT to the computer, let TT HOME start up and connect to your TT. It will want to load a new NavCore onto the root of your TT. Let it.
9) When TT HOME has loaded a new NavCore and settled, shut down home. Safely disconnect your TT. Give it time to adjust and a bit more. Switch off your TT.
10) Wait a while, Switch on your TT, let it adjust. Connect it back to your Computer and let TT HOME start again. This time add KATE via TT HOME. (Guess you were wondering when we would get to her!)
11) When KATE is downloaded and installed, switch off TT HOME.

You now have NavCore and Kate on your TT.
12) Safely disconnect your TT, let it adjust and then switch it off. Insert the SD card back into your TT.

Can you guess what's coming next?
13) Switch on your TT. Let it boot up fully. Connect it to your Computer. Let TT HOME start up and then switch it off.
14) In WindowsExplorer make yet another copy of BOTH drives of your TomTom and store this in a NEW folder on your PC.
15) Agian, using WindowsExplorer, search for duplicate files which appear on both the SD card and on TT's ROOT drives. (to do this I would highlight both these drives and search for files called- *.* -and then sort the results according to NAME - MS Windows users please confirm this action would work please).
16) Locate ALL duplicate FILES and DELETE every duplicate FILE (not FOLDER) which is located on the SD card.
17) Explore the duplicate folders and cut and paste the contents of the SD card folders into the FOLDER of the same name on the TT ROOT drive.
18) The duplicate folders on the SD card should now be empty and you can delete the FOLDERS from the SD card.
19) Repeat the search just to make sure there are no more duplicates.
20) Safely disconnect your TT from the computer. Let TT adjust and wait a bit longer. Switch off TT. Wait and wait a bit more.
21) Switch TT on.

Does anything work? If yes, have you got Kate? If Yes, Make a back-up.

If no, get back to condition 15) above and restore your TT by re-installing the back up you made at 14) onto the drives of your TT and try somebody else's idea.

N.B. "Wait a while" means at least 10 seconds. Not a law but my rule of thumb.

This is not guaranteed to work, it is just the way I would go about trying to clear the problem I believe you have. If at any point your TT freezes or goes into a loop or anything else, apply a pin hole reset. and try again.

Good luck, AliOnHols.

P.S. If in the time it has taken to write this your problem has been solved, please ignore.

EDIT1 - Item 1a) added to list.
EDIT2 - Sd Card descriptions altered.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ootoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for such a detailed reply - I've not had a chance to try this just yet (on hols myself now) but will let you know how it all goes in a couple of days' time.

Sounds as if it could be the answer - watch this space... Best advice was the drink bit

Cheers

Rolling Eyes
ootoph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it worked! Kate is back, doing her best to pronounced unpronounceable Westcountry names and warning me of life's li'l hazards as usual.

Many, many thanks to all concerned.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set of instructions AliOnHols, but I've just one minor point.

I'm confused by your references to the SD card being called "INTERNAL". That seems counter-intuitive to me (as the TomTom has internal memory and an external SD card)

Certainly, none of my SD cards have ever been called that. Is it just the way you set the card up when you formatted it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: