Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 910 with map version 660.1219 Mapshare and Lane guidance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

910 with map version 660.1219 Mapshare and Lane guidance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barryjohnbarry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: 910 with map version 660.1219 Mapshare and Lane guidance Reply with quote

I have a Tomtom 910 with map version 660.1219 Western and Central Europe. What is the cheapest way to update so I can use Mapshare. Also is it possible to use Lane guidance on the 910 please
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lane Guidance is not an option for the 910.

As to the cheapest way to update, you would need to connect the 910 to the PC and use HOME to tell you what TT has to offer as part of it's Map Update Service. You might need to update the software to V7.903 first for this to work.

TT are currently offering the W & C Europe Map for £55, down from £70, for direct purchase.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
barryjohnbarry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Upgrade to the latest map 50% off = £35.80 Reply with quote

My offer from Tomtom is

Upgrade to the latest map 50% off = £35.80
Map update service 1 Year West & Central Europe £35.80

Is it worth buying both and will I still get map share if I only buy the latest map?

Many thanks Oldboy
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will only be able to subscribe to the map update service (quarterly map releases) if you buy (or have) the latest map first.

Map share is a different free service where you download other peoples submitted corrections (if you trust them) to the map currently installed. This is a sort of patch for the current map and is not a download of the latest map and will not include new roads and features.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to the latest map 50% off = £35.80 Reply with quote

barryjohnbarry wrote:

Is it worth buying both and will I still get map share if I only buy the latest map?

Yes, you will still get MapShare if you only buy the current map.

Is it worth buying both? You will probably notice more significant changes in upgrading from your existing version 660 to the current 830 than you will notice in the maps supplied through the update service.

Whether it's worth buying both is a decision for you to make, but if you have existed quite happily on 660 for the last few years without experiencing too many problems, then the answer may well be No.
barryjohnbarry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the responses. Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I used to drive all over the place, hence the reason for getting the Tomtom. I now rarely travel outside my comfort zone, so I think I will go with just the map upgrade for now. I will probably get a new Tomtom before I need another map upgrade. I take it a lot of Tomtom users don’t like Mapshare?

Once again thanks for the help.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the responses. Reply with quote

barryjohnbarry wrote:
I take it a lot of Tomtom users don’t like Mapshare?
Funny you should say that!

The only real problem you'll get with sticking to map 660 (which many of us think was the last really good accurate map they produced) is that it doesn't include London Congestion Zone. I have map 675 which came out about six months later and does include it on one of my devices, map 830 which is the current special offer running on another device alongside and the difference in routing and ETA is honestly pretty negligible (indeed, the other day the 675 map gave me the correct route which I ignored in favour of the 830 map which took me slap up against a one way system in Wimbledon!!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the responses. Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
(indeed, the other day the 675 map gave me the correct route which I ignored in favour of the 830 map which took me slap up against a one way system in Wimbledon!!).

But if you used MapShare, the 830 map may not have given you that problem - someone may have corrected it by now!

I'm quite happy to use MapShare - I haven't noticed any significant errors in the data that I have actively used, and I know that some of the changes that I have made have resulted in significant improvements to my map.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the responses. Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
DennisN wrote:
(indeed, the other day the 675 map gave me the correct route which I ignored in favour of the 830 map which took me slap up against a one way system in Wimbledon!!).

But if you used MapShare, the 830 map may not have given you that problem - someone may have corrected it by now!
Fat chance of that!! If YOU did a mapshare correction for it, I wouldn't get it on my map - you have UK&ROI v830.2306 on a 520, I have W&CE v830.2305 on a 920 - I never receive any of your "corrections" (even if I trust you and everybody else) and you never receive any of mine. Neither of us receive any "corrections" from the people with 720s and all the others with x40s. The new maps which will hit the roads when they decide they've made enough profits from the discounted current special offers may well not have ANY of the "corrections" you've made to your present map and you'll have to re-enter them.

falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the responses. Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
If YOU did a mapshare correction for it, I wouldn't get it on my map - you have UK&ROI v830.2306 on a 520, I have W&CE v830.2305 on a 920 - I never receive any of your "corrections" (even if I trust you and everybody else) and you never receive any of mine. Neither of us receive any "corrections" from the people with 720s and all the others with x40s.

Just explain to me Dennis where and how you came to this conclusion again?

iPhone 12
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the responses. Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
DennisN wrote:
If YOU did a mapshare correction for it, I wouldn't get it on my map - you have UK&ROI v830.2306 on a 520, I have W&CE v830.2305 on a 920 - I never receive any of your "corrections" (even if I trust you and everybody else) and you never receive any of mine. Neither of us receive any "corrections" from the people with 720s and all the others with x40s.

Just explain to me Dennis where and how you came to this conclusion again?

Reading a lot of threads which say so (sorry, I'm not tempted to Search for mapshare and corrections - a quick test revealed hundreds of threads). And when you think about it, it's logical, they can't let "corrections" for one map version loose into another map version for fear it'll do more harm than just the bad data does already.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a kernel of truth in what you say Dennis, but I think it's got wound out of control a bit.

What I THINK happens is that Mapshare corrections only get sent to users of the same basic map version, but it doesn't matter if they are used different machines or if the minor build number is different.

I've heard reports they may also get sent to users of NEWER maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't belieeeeeeeve it! I've just spent hours compiling a situation to put this stuff to the test, then I discover that mapshare speed limit changes only show up when actually driving - they don't show up in a route Demo. So the one "corruption" and two "corrections" I did this morning can't be seen by any of you even if you did get them downloaded. Worra pig!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: