Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - mapsettings.cfg file NOT being created
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

mapsettings.cfg file NOT being created
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dazed_and_confused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: mapsettings.cfg file NOT being created Reply with quote

Axim PDA with TT6, was working fine but recently started acting up, not remembering destinations. I realised that it wasn't writing things to the mapsettings file so I tried deleting it to see if it would write a new one - it doesn't.
I've had it running successfully for years and although the hardware is old and is now really only running Tom Tom I can't figure out what's happened to upset it.
Any ideas or explanations for me to try?

Thanks

J
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the memory card read/ write switch set to lock?

Put the memory card in a card reader and check the map folders properties, make sure its not set to read only - Mike
Dazed_and_confused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Is the memory card read/ write switch set to lock?

Put the memory card in a card reader and check the map folders properties, make sure its not set to read only - Mike

Thanks for that, for a minute I though we had it

I had thought of the card switch being set to write protected and even the file attributes but I had not checked the folder attributes - it was "read only", not sure how that happened but there it was!

However, despite changing the folder attributes it still doesn't write a mapsettings file and doesn't remember the new favourite and home settings :-(

Re-examining the SD card reveals that it doesn't want to retain the attritibutes.

Any thoughts/ideas?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try setting the atributes on the card in a slot on the PC and not in the unit.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secondly if you need to change a file atribute, copy it to the PC, change atribute and then move it back to the card, I have had this problem before.
Dazed_and_confused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Try setting the atributes on the card in a slot on the PC and not in the unit.

How do I set the attribtes of the card? If I put it in my card reader and select properties I don't see any option to set attributes. Also, I see the file attributes of mapsetting (I had a back up file) don't show it as read only but I cannot change the attributes of the map directory - well I can change them but they don't stay changes. I right click onthe folder, un-check the read only and then click on another folder, when I go back to the map folder, the read only is back selected!

This is most weird indeed!
Dazed_and_confused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also tried removing mapsettings and restarting Tomtom, then setting a favourite and home locations to try and create a new masettings file - it still doesn't write one :-(

I've formatted and checked the card for errors, reinstated the data and done all the above again. Runing out of ideas now!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazed_and_confused wrote:
I've formatted and checked the card for errors, reinstated the data and done all the above again. Runing out of ideas now!
Did you re-install the data, or Copy a Backup from the PC?

If you did a Copy did you make sure that ALL the Files/Folders in the PC Backup had the Read Only unticked?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Dazed_and_confused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Dazed_and_confused wrote:
Did you re-install the data, or Copy a Backup from the PC?

If you did a Copy did you make sure that ALL the Files/Folders in the PC Backup had the Read Only unticked?

I copied it from the PC and I didn't check the status of all the files - do you mean all the files on the card or all the files in the map directory?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

set the atributes on the PC before you copy them to the card.
Dazed_and_confused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
set the atributes on the PC before you copy them to the card.

Sorry don't fully understand - I think you're saying set the attributes of the folder and file whilst it's all on the PC then copy to the SD card? Again, I am presuming we're talking about the attributes of the mapsettings file and the map folder in which it sits.
Is the name of the map folder significant? One of my copies of the folder has Westerm_Europe-Map as the name and another has Western_Europe but both seem to work! I seem to have misplaced the original TomTom SD card which doesn't help - I have a feeling I know which hire car I left it in though, which is of couse of no help whatsoever!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry don't fully understand - I think you're saying set the attributes of the folder and file whilst it's all on the PC then copy to the SD card?

Yes but make file plural (files)
Second query is one i have never come across due to never having duplicated similar folders, but would imagine that folder name should be exactly same as Map name within.
Dazed_and_confused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry don't fully understand - I think you're saying set the attributes of the folder and file whilst it's all on the PC then copy to the SD card?

Yes but make file plural (files)
Second query is one i have never come across due to never having duplicated similar folders, but would imagine that folder name should be exactly same as Map name within.

Thanks - that seems to have done the trick, well I have started againa afresh with a different SD card and it's working, remembering where I've "been" and keeping that information.

I'm not 100% sure I know how we fixed it but I'm happy that it's fixed :-)

Do you know of anywhere that has a run down of the various files and what they are for? It took me a long while to find out where Tom Tom put favourites and previous destinations etc. Over the years I've gone through various versions and maps, plus lots of SD card as maps have got bigger and so I've needed bigger SD cards - the install feels like it's in a bit of a mess. It all works on a day to day basis but I'm going touring in France soon and I want to ensure it's as right as it can be!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it working finally, But with reference to TTN6 i am a little bit rusty on it having moved on to TTN7 and also not being familar with the Axim,
Dazed_and_confused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Glad you got it working finally, But with reference to TTN6 i am a little bit rusty on it having moved on to TTN7 and also not being familar with the Axim,

Yes it is a bit old but it's adequate (when it all works) and owes me nothing! The Axim runs Windows Mobile 2003 and can't be upgraded so I can only go as far as TT6. Unless anyone knows different!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: