Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which TomTom should I buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which TomTom should I buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rotas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Which TomTom should I buy? Reply with quote

I've had TomTom for a number of years through my HP Ipaq PDA (Nav5) and always liked it. I want to stick with TT as I like the features but now want to go to a standalone unit. When I've come to shop for a new one I'm bewildered by the choice and so would appreciate your suggestions as to which TT model to buy.

This is what I need (actually, want, but I'm a male and when it comes to gadgets, the two mean the same).

I don't travel loads around the country two or three big journeys a year.
I would like to use it on holiday but the Greek isles don’t present too much problem if I don’t.
Being able to update safety cameras through PockrtGPSWorld is a must.
I would like to benefit from being able to change the map if necessary (i.e. a one-way street in my area has now been pedestrianised and so another street has now become two-way – not on my old map). Can I benefit from other people’s changes?
I don’t really need the IQ system but if it’s not that much dearer I’m happy to have it.
I don’t need to use my phone through my TT.
I don’t want to spend loads but am happy to go the extra mile for the right reasons.

I would appreciate your suggestions as to a suitable TT model and even any tip-offs as to a good place to buy at a good price.

Thanks

Rotas
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that list I would consider the XL IQ device, its got no Bluetooth so handsfree won't work, one issue might be storage capacity though if you want to expand the map coverage at a future point.
The XL range only have internal memory for the map and application files, they cannot employ an SD or SDHC card to supplement the available storage capacity. Its not even possible to work out what available memory is supplied in the regional XL IQ vs the European L IQ as this information has been removed from TomTom's web site.

Greek isles might be an issue
PGPSW Database will work fine with this device
MapShare is available to alter the map properties
MapShare will let you download updates from others to your device/ map
The IQ Routes is worth having in my opinion, but you can turn it off if you don't like it.
Handsfree won't be provided as there is no Bluetooth

Have a look at the usual Halfords/ Curries/ Comet etc - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, here's my reply to a friend's email last week when he asked a similar question (although he was also interested in the "LIVE" services from TomTom...)

For TomTom, the basic decision is between the navigation-only "ONE" and "XL" ranges, or the more expensive "Go" models which have all the extra bells and whistles like Bluetooth/hands-free phone, mp3 players, FM transmitters (on some) etc.

The XL's (the previous model was called the 'One XL') are the same as the One's but are widescreen - much better in my opinion and worth the bit extra. The Go's are all widescreen.

The other main difference is that the current One's and XL's don't have a memory card slot (only internal memory). This means that if you buy a "regional" model (eg the UK and Ireland), you don't have enough space to put a full Europe map on at a later date.
All the current Go models and the older Ones, have internal memory AND an SD card slot for expansion. (Very old models only had the SD card slot).
The problem is that many shops still have older models in stock, and TT's daft naming conventions combined with the general crappiness of shop staff means it is VERY easy to get confused what you're buying!

On the Go models, the main ranges were
x20 - superseded
x30 - same hardware as the x20's just a different colour bezel!
x40 - have Live Services
where "x" was 5 for UK/Ireland mapping, 7 for all Europe and 9 for Europe and North America.
But on the Ones, they just say "Europe" or "UK" on the box.

If it matters to you, the x20 and x30 ranges ALL have an mp3 player and an FM transmitter, but only the 940 of the x40 range does.

There are some VERY good deals on "refurbished" x20 and x30 models, from places like handtec.co.uk and TotalPDA.co.uk These are indistinguishable from a new one and usually they come with the same "Latest Map Guarantee" that the new ones have, so you can update for free to the latest map available upto 30 days after purchase. I usually suggest people look at these quite seriously.

The LIVE services you mentioned are useful, but not that cheap. I think they are great but I'm not paying for them at the moment! (They're normally £7.99 a month on a rolling contract).
For that, you get:
"HD Traffic" similar to their old "Traffic" service but with more data sources,
"Weather" - quite good,
"Safety Cameras" - I use the more comprehensive alternative from Pocket GPS World, but the TomTom one is much better than it was
"Fuel Prices" - not very accurate/up to date on actual price, but quite good for finding the likely cheapest in an area.
and "Google Local Search" which I think is the best of the lot - remember I used it to find those restaurants when you were down in London?

The LIVE Services are currently restricted to the Go models, but I have in front of me a pre-production "XL" that has it, so I would expect it might be launched in the UK very soon.

If you only want Traffic alerts, the alternative is the old system - either via a connected mobile phone, or with an extra RDS-TMC aerial (these were on clearance at Currys a couple of weeks ago for ~£1.75! But the disadvantage is they are a bit messy-looking in the car as they need to be stuck round the windscreen).

One other option to look out for is "IQ Routing" - This means it has some basic intelligence built into the map data, so it will adjust your route depending on the time of day/ day of week.

Finally, the

TT webpages:
Products - http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Language=1
Live Services - http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=11

The one thing they DON'T seem to have is a simple chart showing all the features (and what's missing) on a model-by-model basis.

Hope that all helps, go and have a play with them (plus the Garmin alternatives) in somewhere like Halfords or PC World.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: