Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera database submission giving odd locations
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera database submission giving odd locations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGeneral365
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Speed camera database submission giving odd locations Reply with quote

I've submitted this location today (51.334908476943,-0.72040110826492) by entering the co-ordinates into the find location box, but when you look at the map, it places the marker nowhere near the position (as verified in google maps). So when you press the "accept this location" button, you get totally the wrong location. I think the tool is homing in on something in google maps, and not onto my location.

Is this supposed to work like this, because it has fooled me into submitting the wrong locations today.

Robert Sad
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entering those co-ordinates on the Submission map & Google Maps give me the exact same location for the pointer - SW carriageway of the M3 with Azalea Way almost due South at Camberley.

Is this the intended point? If so, the position accepted when clicking the Update Co-ordinates button becomes

Very odd!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert and welcome to the forums. Very Happy
I have also found the problem that you describe. Confused I think it's a problem with Google maps but I,m not certain.
If you drag the map so that the pointer is in the exact position of the cam then click the 'Accept this location' then the correct location is pasted into the form. (Don't forget to put the cam in the middle of the road, not by the side of the road where it is actually located.)
If as you say, you enter a lat/long, the map goes to the wrong position, and the wrong position is then pasted into the form. Our database manager will no doubt have a look at this problem soon. Very Happy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make the location (51.334908476943,-0.72040110826492 On my Satnav) to be on the SW bound carriageway of the M3 where it crosses over the A325 (Portsmouth Road) roundabout but the google map takes me some distance north east of this, about 500 ft south west of SPECS:66529
TheGeneral365
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the correct location is by the bridge of the A325. Google maps (In a new browser window) puts a handy green arrow at the exact location. I'm glad it's not me going mad then.
Thanks for the hints too.

Robert
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried your lat/lon in Google Maps and get the correct location as well, but the submission map does not.

The prognosis is that Google Maps work correctly Very Happy but our submission map does not Crying or Very sad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

searching for '51.334908476943,-0.72040110826492' shows the location as 'M3, Camberley, Surrey GU15 1, UK' where as previously it would show the co-ordinates.

it looks like the geolocation is 'matching' it to the nearest road instead of actually just showing the co-ordinate location on the map... if you change the 51 to 52 you will see that it shows the exact co-ordinates on the map as it is not on a road to match it to.

this will be something that has changed in google local search as we use a messy hack for this...

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Google Maps show the location correctly Shocked
PS. Welcome home. Good holiday Question
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but we use a crazy hack of google-local to do our searching / geo-location as the search api wasn't available when we set it up or it was, but was limited...

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
but we use a crazy hack of google-local to do our searching / geo-location as the search api wasn't available when we set it up or it was, but was limited...

MaFt

If this means that further work is required to improve the submission map, I'd love to volunteer, but by the time someone had taught me enough to do it they could have done it themselves twice over!

If it's any help... there are several "my location" add-ons to Google maps now. If you go to "my maps" (I guess you have to have registered first), then click on "Browse the directory", there are hundreds of addons of various types.
I found "Position Finder" to be good, as it gives the Lat/Long to 5 or 6 decimals and the result can be copy and pasted into forum posts (although I've been assuming it's accurate!).
I've no idea if it is feasible, but could one of those be de-constructed or bolted on in some way?

For other purposes I've also got "GB and Ireland Grid References", "Area and Distance Calculator" and the "Distance Measurement Tool" (from the 'featured content' section) which are all very useful.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i've been beavering away most of the morning and finally had the guts to test the code on the live site!!

needless to say i've surprised myself and it works first time!

you can now search for co-ordinates in the decimal degree form - i.e. 52.12345,-2.54321 (note no spaces!)

other formats may be possible in the near future but for now you will need to convert to decimal degrees!

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
you can now search for co-ordinates in the decimal degree form - i.e. 52.12345,-2.54321 (note no spaces!)

No spaces and you must put the comma in!!!
Well done MaFt, I always knew you could do the impossible, but take a little longer to perform a miracle Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Are you going to pass it on to Google, so they can fix their own map interface? Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: