Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Active 10 / Fugawi ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Active 10 / Fugawi ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Active 10 / Fugawi ? Reply with quote

Hi, new to here so please bare with me. Until now my walking / cycling GPS's have all been from the dark side (Garmin) and will probably remain so for cycling and any overseas jaunts. However I'm lucky enough to have an Active 10 waiting to be taken out of the box when I get home tonight Very Happy Primary use will be for walking in the Lake District and have also purchased the 1:25,000 SD card for the area.

My question is most of my route planning for the Garmin is done on Fugawi 1:25 / 1:50k mapping software and transfered via USB cable. I could (and probably should) spend all weekend trying to sort out if its possible to route plan on Fugawi for the Active 10 but to be honest would rather be out there getting to know the Satmap. Could anyone advise of the possibility of using the Fugawi?
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with Fugawi but if it will export in GPX format then that should be all you need.
Satsync 1.525
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
..........................the dark side (Garmin) and will probably remain so for cycling

You simply MUST get the bike mount, and use it for cycling - it is a revelation.
Roger
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You simply MUST get the bike mount, and use it for cycling - it is a revelation.
Roger

I can second that,I use it on the tandem and it is excellent apart from the fact it is not that easy to see in bright sunlight but hey they are all like that.

Ian
Solis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nervous about using it on the bike having been through three Garmin units all of which have basicaly shaken themselves to destruction on pot holed Lakes back roads.

Currently trying a very basic Edge 205 which whilst sadly lacking in the navigation department is at least cheap!

Is there any history of the Active 10 suffering simlair fate whilst bike mounted? Must admit it would be excellent to use for riding, just worried about the possibility of another gps biting the dust.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solis,

One can only speak as one finds and the Satmap bike mount holds the unit "rock solid" and I have never had the slightest concern that it would come adrift.It attaches with a reassuring "click".

Some of the forum members have talked about going off road on their bikes with it and no one to my knowledge has mentioned that it has suffered any problems whilst doing so.

It has been suggested that the unit is not quite as waterproof as Satmap would have you believe so I put mine in a clear Ortlieb A6 document case which has a small slit cut in the back ( thanks to the suggestion of another forum member ) to accommodate the projection on the back of the unit which attaches to the bike mount.

Works well.

Ian
Solis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record in case anyone else has the same query, now I have got my head around it exporting Fugawi (ver 4) to Satmap is easily possible.

Will purchase the bike mount though the Etrex have not failed by coming adrift but by disturbing the internals.

Only used the Satmap briefly so still finding my way around very imopressed so far with the exception of initial gps lock which appears to be taking anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes with a decent sky view that locks a Garmin alongside in about 1 minute. I think I have read some units may need an ariel re tune?
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solis wrote

Quote:
Only used the Satmap briefly so still finding my way around very imopressed so far with the exception of initial gps lock which appears to be taking anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes with a decent sky view that locks a Garmin alongside in about 1 minute. I think I have read some units may need an ariel re tune?

I presume that you switched the unit on AND DID not move off (walk)until
you had a lock. IF that is the case then yes send the unit back for a tweek

If you switched on and then moved off walking BEFORE a lock then there might reside your problem
Solis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unit was stationary in a position that both my Etrex and Edge pick up under a minute.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: