Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 270
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 270

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayP23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 270 Reply with quote

I downloaded the speed cameras to my Nuvi but it shows up as just a point of interest black flag. No alerts. My nuvi has in its memory usa maps and europe so I bought a memory card and download the middle east map to it. Please help.

Ray
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I downloaded the speed cameras to my Nuvi but it shows up as just a point of interest black flag. No alerts.

Hi and welcome. Do you know which database you downloaded? Did you use POILoader to send it to the SD card or the internal memory?

Quote:
My nuvi has in its memory usa maps and europe so I bought a memory card and download the middle east map to it. Please help.

Can you clarify if this is a problem ...

Where did you get the map from?
RayP23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 270 Reply with quote

I just noticed that when extracted the data base of speed cameras my computer converted them to excel files. What should i do. Can I prompt it to open with what type program or note pad ?
RayP23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 270 Reply with quote

The Map is City Navigator Middle east, a Garmin product. I downloaded the speed cameras to the Unit and I have also tried to the sd card with the same result. Black flags. I also tried downloading to map source as well.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi 270 Reply with quote

RayP23 wrote:
I just noticed that when extracted the data base of speed cameras my computer converted them to excel files. What should i do. Can I prompt it to open with what type program or note pad ?

May I just butt in quickly? (as this is the only bit I can help with!)

The .csv file format you download for the Garmin is a very common standard for data files. csv just stands for "comma-separated values", meaning that each entry in the database has all its information in a single row with commas in between each bit).

On your PC, each program has a list of file types that it knows it can open and so it tells the PC to "associate" these files with itself. Excel can open .csv files, so it muscles in and wants you to use it to open them. It hasn't "converted" them at all, but it tells the PC to put it's own icon beside them. (You can override this in Windows Explorer by using the Tools/Folder options/File types menu and telling it to use a different program if you wish).

But remember that all you are doing is using the PC as a tool to move the files from one place to another, it doesn't actually matter at all whether you can "open" them or not!

Hope that clears that bit up. Sorry I can't help with the main issue you're having.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayP23 - you haven't actually said yet whether you used POILoader for the camera download. Also I think the black flag is shown when the unit doesn't have a suitable icon to use - which icons did you download, and where did you store them?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i suggest you start by reading (or re-reading) the Garmin instructions here. See how far you get and then let us know where it goes wrong for you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: