Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Automatic turn on?????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Automatic turn on?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revmrf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Automatic turn on????? Reply with quote

Hi,

Twice this has happened: I usually leave my TT XL connected to my computer via the USB cable to maintain a full charge. The TT is off unless I do an update, but when finished it is in its off state. Late last night, I saw a faint light in my computer room and the TT was turned on! I know that it was in its off status when I shut my systems down. The first time it happened, I thought that I had mistakenly left it one. But this time....! Anyone else out there have a TT ghost turning on their TT?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'm seeing more and more similar posts in the US forums, and not just for your model, either.

This was an issue with earlier applications that later app updates seemed to resolve.

However, the latest application may, just may, have reintroduced the problem.

I know that for some a 'cure' sometimes was to 'clear route' prior to shutting off.

For others, doing a rest stopped the problem because resetting does force the unit to a true OFF state. Pressing the power button is just putting the unit into a hibernate state as such, but the unit is still 'on'.
revmrf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Pressing the power button is just putting the unit into a hibernate state as such, but the unit is still 'on'.

Aha!!! I think you've fingered what's going on. Well, the worse thing that can happen is that when the battery is close to being flat, it'll shut itself down with no harm done. [I hope]
juliaosborne
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spotted this thread - I've sat here baffled some nights when TT has just powered up sitting in the bag next to me at least now I know I am not alone!!

I've also got a printer which occasionally chunters when it is turned off and when the PC it is connected to turns off!! However, that's a different forum!!!

Personally I think a poltergeist could be the reason for these strange happenings Shocked
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a regular "Issue" or "Challenge" as TT would call it.

You ain't seen nuthin' yet! Think yourselves lucky, whether gents or ladies, it is not nice to pop the switched off device into your pocket or bag, only to have it shout "Turn around when possible" whilst you are "engaged" in the little boys or little girls room. It happened to Andy_P at the stalls in a motorway service station, happened to me (GO920) in a pub and there are a whole load of interesting anecdotes on the subject. Mine frequently manages to get through the menus using pressure in my pocket, has changed preferences many times and has twice redialled last number on the handsfree phone!

I regularly have to switch it off several times when I get out of my vehicle at home.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
It happened to Andy_P at the stalls in a motorway service station

In fairness, that was a "I'm sure I turned it off" event, rather than a "I KNOW I turned it off". - Still got me some very funny looks though!

I've never actually *seen* any of the many TomToms that drift through my house turn on by themselves.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This feature seems to be quite a shame really, as several people seem to want an auto on when the power is connected. As TT seem to be able to program it to switch on randomly, it's a shame that they can't seem to do it 'on request'
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I've never actually *seen* any of the many TomToms that drift through my house turn on by themselves.
Well, my 920 does it all the time. I sit in the van when I get home and switch off all my devices and start disconnecting them from the van. Regular as clockwork, the 920 switches back on before I can finish going from left to right of the windscreen. So I take it off the mount, switch it off again and put it on the passenger seat. It switches on again after a few seconds of playing dead. Switch off again, put it in my shirt pocket, taking care to definitely avoid the power switch. Into the house with handfuls of devices and worksheets and stuff and when I get in there I have a warm feeling in the shirt pocket area, meaning it's on again!!

It stays off eventually, but I never know how many times I shall have to switch off. It's not every day by any means. Just often enough to never be forgotten, including at the forecourt whilst I'm inside paying (I come back to the legal accept thing - it can't press it by itself like when my pocket is jiggling!)

I ALWAYS clear route now when I arrive home, in the faint hope it might fix it this time.

Funny though, it's NEVER done it on the desktop charging mount. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting, I'm just back from 2 weeks in France and at the end of each journey I turn off the device and put it into the hard case. Twice when I turned it on the following day, before connecting the power cable, I got the low battery warning then it turned off again. Maybe mine has started turning itself on in the case. Or perhaps something in the case is pressing the power button.

Also no matter ho long it's been on power the battery level shows as being anything from almost flat to 3/4 charged, but I've read on other threads that this is a "feature" of the latest firmware.
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a new GO 940 LIVE and in the couple of weeks I have been using it I was quite concerned to find that it seemed to be loosing power all day whilst locked away at work. I thought that there was a battery problem. However, this turning its self on thing seems like a probable cause. I too had started to store it with the route cleared in case that had something to do with it but it doesn't seem to have made a great deal of difference.

Thanks for the heads up I'll keep a closer eye on it in future.

TTFN

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: