Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT940 Not holding a charge
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT940 Not holding a charge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: TT940 Not holding a charge Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm on holiday, currently, in Canada at the moment. Yesterday was a grueling 12 hour drive from Michigan USA, which I'm glad is over!

Anyway, I bought the 940 in th UK ready for this trip with its NA maps all in place, however I have to leave the unit constantly plugged into the cigarette lighter as it will not run on battery. It shows it is charging, but the button always stays on red (rather than green). If I unplug it then a large, depleted battery symbol appears and the unit switches off.

Could it be the 12v socket isn't man enough to run and charge the unit at the same time? Or is it likely the battery is bad? When I first received the 940 back in the UK I charged it fully up in the cradle, but at best had 30 mins use before the battery gave up but I put that down to the battery needing to be "conditioned".

Any advice appreciated.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 940 is a heavy user of battery as it also has the mobile phone function inside, but I would have expected it to last longer than an hour, mine does. The unit is meant to be run plugged in to the car but yours does sound like it has a problem.

Are you using the original supplied TT charger as some USB chargers do not put out sufficient charge?
markos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I am using the original car charger that came with it, and the cradle it uses has a sealed cable running to the USB plug (so yes, am using the original supplied charging devices.

It's a pain as I took the unit off the window mount (and hence the car charger) to get someone to show me a road and it went off... and this was after 6 or 7 hours having been plugged into the car charger. Sometimes I even see the low battery symbol flash up when it was connected to the car charger.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say it sounds like you have a duff unit. You could eliminate the car or charger by charging from USB or by purchasing a US mains - USB charger.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Hours (or just under) is a more realistic duration from a 940 running on a fully charged battery, as you are only getting 30 minutes (or less) you need to get this resolved when you get back, the TT CS phone number is 0845 161 0009 - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or try NA support at 866-486-6866 while you are here. They may not want to assist (or can't) because there is only a 740 available in the States and NO x40 models here in Canada.

Just a thought.......
markos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately I bought a USB mains charger off Amazon and got to a mains socket and charged it up. Seems fine. I left it on for 15 mins and there's maybe 85% of green showing in the battery meter.

So I wonder if its the car charger cable, or if the cigarette lighter socket in this hire car isn't pushing enough juice out? I'll be back home in 47 hours and will see how it fares on the M25/A12 during the drive home.

PS It's very muggy here tonight, however I'm still not convinced I want our trip to end so soon!!!
markos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Thanks for all your replies though, and the phone numbers are much appreciated. And David, the 401 past your place sure does get busy... and those signs saying "Express running well" is a downright fib!

Was disappointed the lane guidance doesn't work in Canada, but did in the US.
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: no charge Reply with quote

Don't suppose car has a 2nd socket by any chance behind driver in boot aka trunk in US speak??
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To markos:

Don't get me started about ALG missing from all Canadian roads! Evil or Very Mad

The 401 is usually a horror show anytime day or night. I'll use the toll road 407 just to avoid the 401.....
revmrf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
To markos:

Don't get me started about ALG missing from all Canadian roads! Evil or Very Mad

The 401 is usually a horror show anytime day or night. I'll use the toll road 407 just to avoid the 401.....

U got that right. When we visit my cousin in Nobleton, I always jump off 401 onto 1 near Pickering, then onto 407... then to 400. :-)
markos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough TomTom said to use the 407, but our paper map said it charged the toll to the car owner via number plate recognition, and as we had a "rental" car I wasn't sure what would happen.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the fine print on the rental contract, you would have seen that the rental company would not only have put the actual travel charge on your credit card but added a bloody fortune in a service charge.

But, hope you have enjoyed your trip to my neck of the woods! Laughing
markos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife suspected they might... hence we spent ages in the car... and if ever they say "Where were you when you heard MJ died" I will be able to say, "Stuck on the 401 somewhere near Toronto".

Had a great time, and the TomTom charged up nicely back in the UK round the M25 in our Renault Scenic. I suspect the Dodge Nitro's electrical system was not sending out the amps required... possibly due to the aircon being on full most of the time Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: