Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 930T map upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

930T map upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: 930T map upgrade Reply with quote

Hi all!

Have subscribed to map upgrade for my second TT930T application 8.351 map v825.2157. Paid my £39.50 or whatever and received my map download email. Went to TT Home and downloaded the map apparently successfully. Copying ran to about 30% when I got this error message

"Cannot create this file: L:\Westen_and_Central_Europe\cline.dat"

which expands to

"ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/Install/Single/DestinationFileDoesNotExist: Cannot create this file: L:\Western_and_Central_Europe\cline.dat
@ .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp(1212)
in .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp:1212
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:84
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1032
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:81
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);"

Time: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:33:59 GMT

Have tried 5 times to do it - and getting fed up with using my back up to restore the map!!

Experienced the "popular" difficulty when upgrading maps for my 920T ("not validated etc") which was resolved quickly - but this one???? I can't find any similar reference?

Have informed TT Support and wait for their response. Any ideas, guys and gals???
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a corupt download, move the new map download from the MyDocuments/ TomTom/ Home/ Downloads folder to some other location on the PC which will force Home to download a new copy of the map and try that.
One other thought, you are using a PC connected to the internet via a wired connection rather than wireless? as wirless (WiFi) is known to cause issues - Mike
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response, Mike! This is the TT response

1. If your TomTom unit is connected to your PC, exit from TomTom HOME and disconnect the unit
2. Go to ‘My Documents’ and then browse to ‘TomTom\HOME\Downloads’
3. Rename the the ‘Downloads’ folder to Downloads1
4. Rename the From Device folder to Device1
5. Connect your TomTom unit
6. Double click on the TomTom drive in My Computer and select all folders and folders (CTRL + A)
7. Copy selected folders and files (CTRL + C)
8. Create a new folder on your desktop and name it Backup. Paste data here (right click / paste)
9. Open My Computer and double click on the TomTom drive in My Computer and delete the Western Europe folder
10. Open TomTom HOME, check for updates again
11. The software will download all available services, including software update if necessary, and you will be able to install them to your TomTom unit.

Only a little more detailed than your (correct!) suggestion. I had already tried this 5 times but .............................. !! However, I was, on both my laptop and PC, connected wirelessly so I added your other suggestion and used my ethernet cable and ....................... bingo!! I had not given consideration to the wireless connection. Although each time the download completed apparently properly I guess it must have been corrupted somewhere.

Once again, many thanks, Mike!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfp2001 wrote:
However, I was, on both my laptop and PC, connected wirelessly so I added your other suggestion and used my ethernet cable and ....................... bingo!!

TomTom need to purchase a new crystal ball, my second sugestion was only a guess that the WiFi might have been the root cause as I have seen this issue before - Glad to hear you are sorted out though.

If you still have the e-mail from TT CS send them a reply explaining what the issue was as they might add this to the standard response they send out, with more and more households moving to WiFi this will become a larger issue affecting plenty of users - Mike
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have indeed included the comments about the wifi connection in my final reply to TT - I always respond to their comments and have to add that I have always received a response within 2 days from them when I have had difficulty with their software. Thus far their responses have been helpful - or is that offensive to report that here??!!??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfp2001 wrote:
Thus far their responses have been helpful - or is that offensive to report that here??!!??

Not at all, its just something we seldom see on the forum most posts are complaints asking for additional advice or general moans.

In fairness to TomTom I have had only one bad experiance when phoning CS and two very good ones where the issue was resolved within the space of a few minutes, what you tend to see are more complaints than praise on the forum which I guess paints a rather poor picture - Mike
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well - look at this for a TT reply

"Hi Ray.

Thanks for your feedback. It's a good suggestion and I've added it to my template.

Glad everythings working for you.

With Kind Regards
Caleb
The TomTom Customer Care Team"

The "good suggestion" was, in fact, Mike's - that of using an ethernet cable when downloading material from Home and not relying on WiFi (as I was!!). As soon as I used the cable it worked immediately.

It will be interesting to note whether in future TT does include the cable suggestion (or if only Caleb includes it??).
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i had trouble with my map downloads a few months ago the first thing TT asked was if i was connecting wirelessly. They also suggested to try an Ethernet Cable if i was Wireless.

I think it depends on who you get as to who knows what to ask...

Quote:
Response (Gert D. V. (UK)) - 12/03/2009 07.50 AM
Dear Paul xxx,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
Your reference for your query is xxxxxx-xxxxxxx.

Thank you for your email. Are you using a wireless connection and which anti virus do you have installed on your PC?

It could be the wireless connection or the fire wall that stops the map from downloading.

Always happy to help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: