Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Difference in volume between route guidance and camera posit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference in volume between route guidance and camera posit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Difference in volume between route guidance and camera posit Reply with quote

I have installed the Liz Whittaker voice for the camera positions, but am using the standard TomTom voice for the route guidance.

There is a marked difference in volume between the two voices (TomTom is louder than Liz), which means either that one of them is shouting at me or that the other is inaudible.

Is there a way of adjusting the 2 volumes separately, please?

BW

Philip
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom device cannot set different levels for the different audio files which is a shame, I know Andy_P who has spent many hours sorting the spoken warnings for the camera files has these at the highest level possible, any further and they will distort so everything has been done to try and normalize the levels (he is a professional sound engineer by trade).

If you want to use the Liz voice for Navigation and camera warnings I can send you the Liz Nav voice pack by e-mail which will make the difference less noticable, let me know if you want the files to give this a try - Mike
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have been busy on my behalf, Mike.

So there is a Liz voice for navigation, as well, is there? But am I right in thinking that it is recorded and not computer-generated, which means that I won't get road names and numbers with the navigation instructions? Road names aren't particularly useful, but road numbers are, when used in conjunction with road signs.

What I really want, of course, is a Joanna Lumley sound-alike computer-generated voice ! Perhaps not, as I wouldn't have enough concentration left for my driving.

Is the Liz navigation voice on this site? If not, my e-mail address is in my profile and I would love a copy.

Thanks again.

Philip
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Liz voice pack isn't a TTS voice but its worth giving it a try, I use it on the XL IQ Live, I have sent the files over so see what you think of it on the device, but you are correct that it won't read out road names when using Liz - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Liz on a 520/720 and 940 and can't say I have noticed any huge disparity in volume.
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received, installed and working, thanks, Mike.

Are you sure it is the same voice? The two voices don't sound the same, but at least they are the same volume.

Philip
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Liz navigation voices and the camera warnings are the same voice from the same person, Liz is a radio DJ for Radio Aire near Leeds - Mike
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the TTS voice (Kate) on my 720, which is much louder than any of the recorded speed camera warnings. The way I got over it was to use TTS also for the warnings. I have typed out, for each type of camera, warnings like Gatso 30 30 and so on, and the voice used by TomTom is also Kate, so the levels match. I thought it was important to have spoken warnings now that the icons giving the speed are so pathetically small. I have been very satisfied with the result
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Yquem59
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Robin, that sounds like a lot of work. There must be at least 20 different combinations of camera/speed.

And then 20 more for the French database.

And you have to type them in using the TomTom keyboard, don't you? Or can you use the computer, copy and paste, and then transfer to TomTom?

BW

Philip

PS I checked: 17 mobile and 24 normal.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the whole lot took more than about 15 minutes, using the TomTom keyboard!
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi... been away for a couple of days....
Yes the problem is that the TTS voices are significantly louder then the "real" voices on the TomTom, so our camera voices, even at the loudest possible struggle a bit against TTS.
I've been badgering TomTom about it for years now with no solution (or even a reason why)
What's really wanted is a SET of volume controls on a preferences page somewhere, and I've been sending mock-up pictures of that screen to them for ages too!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: