Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest Map Gaurentee
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Map Gaurentee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Latest Map Gaurentee Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a little unhappy!

So I buy a TomTom 940 (ok don't laugh), it comes with maps 810 and I miss out on the £50 free fuel by a few days. Ok, my fault for not looking at the box with the rather large FREE £50 FUEL and small, small print.

But the 940 is ok and seems very good, especially when I use the hands free and the person I'm listening to comes through the speakers of the stereo using the bluetooth connection.

So, I find out the latest map is 825, ok great but home says I have the latest map. Call support, scan reciept, letter from doctor and great grandmothers birth certificate and I eventually get 825.

Superb, so latest map on device. So this gets me thinking, if I had the 825 when purchased and another map comes out within 30 days I should get that. I click on LMG and it days I'm not entitled to LMG.

I called TomTom support and get a answer. So if two people buy a TomTom on the same day and one has 810 maps and the other 825 maps and both update them on say day 5 to the latest map which is 825.

Both then have 825.

On day 10 a new may is released, lets say 835. Only the person who purchased the unit that left the factory with 825 on gets the latest map within 30 days of purchaing his TomTom, the other eprson has used hisLMG on day 5 to get to the same point as the other person.

I hope this makes sense and I think it is wrong, you should get the very lastest released map if it is released within 30 days of you buying a TomTom.

Anyone agree or disagree. And to finish my 940 will not pass the hands free through the stereo now and only the TomTom speaker after the firmware upgrade. Buying a top of the range device to beta test for TomTom is a bit rich to be honest.

n0v
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LMG only works once. Always has done i'm afraid, but i agree with you comparing a purchase with 8.10 maps pre-installed and a purchase with 8.25 maps pre-installed.

Theres nothing really that can be done. No way to know what version is on the box when you buy a device. To make matters worse, it is about time for the next map to be released. So if you had waited till day 28 or 29 to use the LMG, you would have got a map upgrade by 2 versions, not just one!

iPhone 12
n0v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks

To me it seems like it should be renamed one shot LMG or lucky dip LMG.

How much goodwill would they get if it was to say you are entitled to the latest map that is current on day of activation and if a new map is released within 30 days then you will also get that.

I would have thought the person that thought this up maybe had this in mind, the accountants disagreed and this half baked idea was the result.

So buy a TomTom, get it home, update it as anyone would want to on day one and miss out on a new map that was released a few days later. In reality not many people would get a new map due to the dates. Just the thought that they would is enough. I've seen some very poor ideas before but this is special as it must have taken several highly paid idiots to dream up a conclusion like this.

Even a few of the bugs would be more acceptable if it was not such a silly LMG!!! Because it is not anything of the kind.

TomTom sort it out as it is very silly and other companies retain customers with good customer service not good ideas that have been watered down to meen nothing to most customers.

Seeing as I got a 940 so old I missed out on the £50 free pertrol and very old maps is a reakl joke. You may be laughing now but when 90% of your custom goes elsewhere don't say we told you so.

n0v
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Latest Map Gaurentee Reply with quote

n0v wrote:

But the 940 is ok and seems very good, especially when I use the hands free and the person I'm listening to comes through the speakers of the stereo using the bluetooth connection.

Quote:
And to finish my 940 will not pass the hands free through the stereo now and only the TomTom speaker after the firmware upgrade.

Can I ask if anyone else has ever had phone audio through Bluetooth?(either before or after an update)

I certainly never have....
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is annoying to miss out on the LMG, I did that on the 530 when new maps came out when the unit was 10 days old and the LMG used. However the actual financial loss to me was only £6.99 (or very close) which is the extra I had to pay when I joined the map update service.

If TT made the LMG open for 30 days so you could update to any new map in this period it would do wonders for customer relations and cost them virtually nothing.

There are always a few smug know-it-all people around who say it is the users fault for downloading the latest map in haste, but for most people with a new gadget they know little about it is only natural to download the latest map when you first log on without reading all the small print in the T&Cs.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Latest Map Gaurentee Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Can I ask if anyone else has ever had phone audio through Bluetooth?(either before or after an update)

I certainly never have....

It works on my Go940 & Go530 with my HTC & Sonys T630s &T610 but I only ever use it when I do not have a hard wired car kit.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Latest Map Gaurentee Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
It works on my Go940 & Go530 with my HTC & Sonys T630s &T610 but I only ever use it when I do not have a hard wired car kit.

Can you confirm that you have handsfree via Bluetooth with the audio coming out of the car speakers rather than the 940- built in speaker? - I have never had phone handsfree from anything other than the built in speaker (except the 910 with the hack applied to it) - Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried it with the car speakers as I have not seen the option for phone output to do this. Would this be set up as in music output or instructions output?

My car could only connect by FM (so not the instructions on the 940) and my wife's Focus has bluetooth on the radio menu, but it does not seem to do anything other than search, I just assume it has a module missing that is an optional extra.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only asking for clarification - There is no way to route the mobile phone hands free audio signal to anything other than the built in speaker on any TomTom device that offers hands free functionality.

The Focus probably offers the Bluetooth hands free profile which could possibly pair with your phone rather than the TomTom, but built in systems are generally not very good in use - Mike
n0v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TomTom sent the audio through the stereo on the last update.

I have a Sony stereo with Bluetooth, the mic on the stero for hands free is poor so I thought I'd try the TomTom.

When I get into the car and turn on the TomTom is said connected to Blackberry 8310 and theen connected to hi-fi device or similar. Then when recieving a call the mic on the TomTom was used and the callers voice came through the stereo. The same as when listening to a audiobook which was great.

I was surprised that two devices could pair at the same time and they did, but now the sound from the phone only routes through the TomTom speaker and not the stereo. I will try and see if when I stream music that works from the phone to the TomTom and see what speaker it comes out of, before it was the stereo but I suspect now it will be the internal speaker. I do have the option set to send music via bluetooth by the way. I would like to get this feature back but knowing my luck it was probably a buy that gave it me in the first place and never intended.

n0v
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your device must be faulty if its playing hands free audio via the car deck, unless you had paired the phone to the car deck without the TomTom in the loop? - Mike
n0v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I would like it to be faulty again Smile then

I thought it was good that I got the audio from the phone through the speakers of the stereo just like when I play a audiobook.

Everything is the same, apart from after the update phone audio is routed through the internal speaker and not via the bluetooth connection to the stereo, which before was absolutly great.

The phone was not paired with the stereo as that device only allows one connection and that is to the TomTom as I used to get connected to blackberry 8310 and connected to hi-fi device what I turned everything on. Now that does the same but only allows audiobooks to play from the stereo. The bluetooth on the stereo does stream music via bluetooth as a function. If the TomTom say the voice from the phone as music then it would send it via bluetooth to the stereo as it used to, maybe it is now seen as something else and sends via the speaker.

n0v
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a backup from prior to the update you could re-install that, but there isn't much point as you cannot use the new map you have got with the older software. I would forget about trying to get the phone audio via the TomTom through the car speakers, as you had it working before there must have been something wrong with the software and possibly the combination of hardware. Blackberry devices have been known to behave strangely with TomToms before now.

Also when you used MG have you updated BOTH maps, you have Western_and_Central_Europe PLUS Northern_America maps on a 940 so make sure you update them both within your 30 days - Mike
n0v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thanks I did get both. If I were to buy the 2 years upgrade to maps pack is it worth leaving it to the last minute and you get 2 years or do you get 8 maps!

I cannot trust their wording, you may get 9 map updates in 2 years if you time it right.

n0v

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: