Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wondering whether to update maps or buy a new Sat Nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wondering whether to update maps or buy a new Sat Nav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Wondering whether to update maps or buy a new Sat Nav Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 610 which I have had for a couple of years. I am wondering whether to update the maps or just a buy a new Sat Nav.

Like most Sat Nav users I get annoyed at it often wanting to use a minor singe carriageway, single track road or even farm track because it is a few yards shorter distance than a fast trunk road. They all seem to basically use the same mapping information so do any makes have more sensible software that it is able to distinguish between more types of roads? Some time ago I was told that most only use a very small number of road types in their database which is why they will often make stupid errors like these.

The other bit of stupidity that annoys me with the Nivi is that if you select the screen that clearly shows the speed whilst in an area with a lot of speed cameras then the Garmin keeps putting up alarm messages which hide the speed indication and need cancelling but they then reappear. In normal map mode you just get a warning on the top line which is not very intrusive.

MB
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 2 years it may be worth upgrading the maps. At 4 years upgrade the sat nav.

It is inevitable that the cost of an equivalent sat nav will have halved and the cost of an update may be similar. Basically you need to check the price of the update then get an assurance that the new satnav can be upgraded foro free.
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy124 wrote:
At 2 years it may be worth upgrading the maps. At 4 years upgrade the sat nav.

It is inevitable that the cost of an equivalent sat nav will have halved and the cost of an update may be similar. Basically you need to check the price of the update then get an assurance that the new satnav can be upgraded foro free.

Thanks, I just get the impression from all the comments that I hear and see that no one has actually improved Sat Navs. They have just added extra features, which I don't want, without fixing the faults that annoy everyone.

MB
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
see that no one has actually improved Sat Navs. They have just added extra features

What happens is they are making incremental improvements on what became "good enuf" about 3-4 years ago, Most people don't pay for "better than good enuf", so the manufacturers now have to add features to make it worth while, like cameras, bluetooth etc.

My general recomendation is if you really need a new map set, or a new feature, buy a new unit and sell the old one (Or give it away to a deserving cause). If you don't, then just keep it. I have the old Navman iCN630 in my car (Circa 2003 form memory), and it does what I need just fine, but thats a car I use to to get to and from work and not much else. My better half has the upto date unit (an the flash car Sad ).

Stick with Garmin - the open source community is now doing maps in Garmin formats, and in a couple of years may be just as good as the 200 quid commercial ones. (you caould always thry the latest open source maps and see if they are good enuf for you)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: