Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satnav/GPS combo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satnav/GPS combo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
george_the_disco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Satnav/GPS combo Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is a SatNav/GPS combo on the market? The reason I ask is that I could really do with updating my satnav unit and rather than leaving it in the glove box for someone to pinch I'd rather take it with me to navigate up hill and down dale (and in forests, etc).

Does anyone know if such a beast exists?

Thanks
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always get a PDA or Smartphone with GPS and install Tomtom & Memory-map/OZI etc
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been one or two device that can do this but they are "Jack of all trades and Master of none" the RA-7000 is one such device and having used one whilst walking I have to say there are considerably better units than this contraption, as for on road use it is dire.

The PDA is a good route to consider BUT again you will need a decent PDA plus software for on/ off road and a rugged enclosure to put the PDA in for walking as well as a decent car mount which all cost money.

The best approach are the dedicated devices for on road useage such as Garmin/ TomTom which can be found for bargain prices if you shop around. Then get a seperate device dedicated for the walking, they are so much better the Satmap active10 takes some beating, but its far from cheap. I would sooner spend a few hundred pounds on hardware that offers a quality solution than put up with a compromise - I have tried the compromise with the PDA and whilst it can be made to work it really is a sub-optimal solution - Mike
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But make sure whatever you buy gives you access to all the maps you will need - some systems (including Satmap) don't allow import of other maps.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolly47roger wrote:
But make sure whatever you buy gives you access to all the maps you will need - some systems (including Satmap) don't allow import of other maps.

Which ones do? The Uk version of Memory-Map doesn't.
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at http://www.the-thorns.org.uk/dwg/info.html

My 513 version of Memory-map allows import (but not calibration) so the map image needs an accompanying .jpr file. Also the European version (which allows calibration) can be downloaded alongside and inherit the licence.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolly47roger wrote:
Have a look at http://www.the-thorns.org.uk/dwg/info.html

My 513 version of Memory-map allows import (but not calibration) so the map image needs an accompanying .jpr file. Also the European version (which allows calibration) can be downloaded alongside and inherit the licence.

There are several versions of Memory-Map. Most people in the UK would tend to buy the OS mapping version which doesn't support use of other mapping. There are other versions of MM (the European version for example) that do allow import/scanning and calibration of other maps. See details here

Edited 30/4/09 to correct URL
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - having re-read the post I think we are agreeing! I've never tried scanning/import on MM as I tend to use OziExplorer for this - and I haven't done that for a while either.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: