Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 740 - Live Services question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 740 - Live Services question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: New 740 - Live Services question Reply with quote

Hi all.

Got my new 740 yesterday, but due to time issues couldn't spend too long getting it ready. Out on the road for 12 hours, no access to LIVE services. Just kept getting a message that 'an error has occurred on the TomTom servers. Please try again".

Should these services work 'out of the box' or do I need to subscribe via HOME, then this activates the 3 months trial? The only options I see in HOME are 'pay' options, so my assumption is you subscribe, then cancel at the end of the 3 months?

Or is it possible that since I have replaced a 910 on the the same account, it's not giving me the 3 monthe free for some reason?

advice anyone?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to use a seperate e-mail address for the new unit or you will have lots of issues with not only the Live services but also any map updates or Plus services you intend to use.

The Live services should be working straight out of the box though, I would check the charge status of the device because when the battery gets low it will switch the GPRS modem off.
Also check the following tap the sat strength meter (lower right corner) followed by the version box, at the bottom of the screen are three buttons press the "Network" button is it showing as connected, if no what are the first four numbers of the Sim ID (probably 8944) - Mike
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key with the Live services trial is to not set up an account on the device. If you have done this, you need to restore to factory settings.

You can though, once the trial has ended, use an old account, but you may have a little hassle getting old services cleared from the servers. Took about a week of to-and-fro with TomTom to make my 910 account work properly, but all fine now. If a different email address is possible, then it makes sense.
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it matter if I've already logged in using my old email address? When I first connected to HOME it just asked if I wanted to replace my existing unit with the new one. Which I did. If I were to create a new account and try and log-in using the new email address, would it say that this unit is already connected to anotheremail @ whereever.com ?

The Live services have suddenly appeared after connecting to the dock again......weird
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, just realised I didn't answer everything you pointed out:

Yep, the SIM ID does start 8944 and had shown as 'connected' all night. Just no Live services. Didn't need them in the end, but you know when you just have to play with your new toy?

Connecting to HOME today, without doing anything else, suddenly seemed to fire up the services so all OK.

Mike & Matthew

I've created a new account, logged out of Home & back in again and was asked to link the device with that new account, which I did. All still seems to be working so no further issues......yet.

All we need is to convince TT that fuel prices that are up to 5 days old aren't a huge amount of use Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear its working, the reason I asked for the first four digits of the SIM ID is these are country specific, the 44 part denotes a UK based device, had this number been different the device would have been intended for use in another county - Not a mistake that happens very often, but worth checking when the Live services stop working or its not able to connect to the network.

The unique e-mail address per device is somewhat a bind for users of multiple units, but this is all part of TomTom's licence activation system, multiple devices on a single e-mail address are known to cause major issues - Mike
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The unique e-mail address per device is somewhat a bind for users of multiple units, but this is all part of TomTom's licence activation system, multiple devices on a single e-mail address are known to cause major issues - Mike

Couldn't agree more, but oh how I wish multiple units was the problem. Know anyone who wants a TT910 shaped doorstop / paperweight? Crying or Very sad Just seems TT are under the impression things don't break.....

Thanks again for your help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: