Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stiff USB plug on new ONE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stiff USB plug on new ONE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Stiff USB plug on new ONE Reply with quote

Has anyone else experienced a problem with a still USB plug on their new ONE IQ Routes Edition?

I don't know how long TomTom have been using a recessed plug, but on my brand new ONE, the USB plug on the computer connection lead has very quickly become almost impossible to remove from the device.

It plugs in easily enough, but then doesn't seem to want to come out again! I was almost tempted to use a pair of pliers, but I refrained, and eventually just ended up with a very sore thumb! Crying or Very sad

I do not consider myself to be a heavy handed person, and as the device was only used for the first time today, I would normally just return it directly to Amazon for a refund/replacement.

My problem though is that we leave for Portugal early on Monday morning for a 10 day touring holiday, which is one of the main reasons for buying the device in the first place.

Is this a common, or known problem please, as it is not something I have experienced before?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recessed USB socket is new on this model.
Are you using the usb lead which came with it?
A "standard" one (if there is such a thing), even one supplied by TomTom for a different model, is definitely too tight, but the one the one that came with my XL IQ Routes is a good fit. A bit fiddly to get in, but I seem to have the knack now.

How about the one on the car charger, is that OK?
Cuddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my TT XL IQ four days ago. Exact same problem - I could not get mine out and eventually broke it. Had to pull remains out with pliers!!!!
Now using a straight connector from my old Navman - working perfectly. It has some sort of bulge near the connector to the TT.
Could not be bothered to send broken one back to Amazon.
Car charger fits OK and is easily removable.
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear that I am not the only one with this problem! Sad

@Andy... Yes I was using the USB lead which came with it.

Sorry for not replying earlier, but I had to shoot out to pick up a new LG 32" LCD Freeview TV for just £269.99... oops. sorry, wrong forum! Smile

However, I have now tried the car lead, and am still experiencing the same problem. The trouble is, we are off to Portugal first thing Monday morning for 10 days... which is one of the reasons I wanted to buy a new TomTom!

Anyway, I have just had a very long chat with Amazon, who have agreed that I can take it with me, and that they will either replace it or send me a refund, on our return, which will still be within a 30 day period (just!) from the date I received it from them.

In the meantime I would be very interested to hear if any other purchasers (appart from Cuddy!) have experienced a similar problem.

Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree TT shouldn't be sending them out like this, if it is just the plastic moulding on the plug, couldn't you just shave it down a tiny bit with a razor blade?
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think it's just the plastic moulding Andy... the problem appears to be with the socket on the TomTom.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.. nasty...

I mentioned it because I have a XL IQ routes edition and both the car charger and USB lead supplied with it were fine; but the lead I usually leave plugged into the back of my PC for connecting Tomtoms, cameras etc. (which was an old TomTom one) didn't fit.
On a closer look it was just because the plastic body had two tiny extra ridges on the sides.
Cuddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has nothing to do with the plastic cover.
The metal part of the plug was firmly stuck to the extent that it separated from the USB lead leaving the metal piece attached to the socket on the unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: