Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps - Old vs New
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps - Old vs New

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Maps - Old vs New Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Garmin City Navigator Europe V8 is the same as Version 9 as its pointless spending £59.00 if it is, I have V8 and my freind has updated to V9 and i cant find any difference ..thanks for any replies.

Admin Edit: Title Edited to reflect subject. PaulB2005

TomTom 940 Live
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know if Garmin City Navigator Europe V8 is the same as Version 9 as its pointless spending £59.00 if it is, I have V8 and my freind has updated to V9 and i cant find any difference ..thanks for any replies.

Of course they are not the same. It's going to be very difficult to know exactly what changes have been made so if you're not convinved just upgrade every 2-3 years instead.
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Of course they are not the same. It's going to be very difficult to know exactly what changes have been made so if you're not convinved just upgrade every 2-3 years instead.
Ok so if its that dificult to distinguish between the 2 versions then it should be known to the intended buyer what the diference is before we spend our £55.00 I think that surely that is a fare comment.

TomTom 940 Live
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fair enough but the only people who can tell you that is Garmin. Contact them and see what they say the differences are. I can't think of any map manufacturer who'll list all the changes between maps.

The reason i said it was difficult to tell the difference between two maps is because there is no comparison chart or tool, the changes aren't generally published (short of a description like 10,000 new POIs added and over 5000 miles of changes made to the road network) and it's almost impossible for someone to find them all looking manually.

Even if you did have all the changes listed you have no way of knowing if all the changes are up to date or accurate. If you like in the south how would you know if changes made in Birmingham or Scotland are accurate and up to date?

At the end of the day you have to take a bit of a gamble with the maps on how up to date and accurate they are. For every new estate added within 12 months of completion there's another estate that's existed for 5 years and is still not on the maps.

Not a perfect system but the best you'll get.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the Garmin site for CN Europe NT (similar for CN non_NT). Assume list is changes from previous version?

Quote:
* Includes full country coverage for Western Europe and many countries in Eastern Europe; see coverage map for details.
* Expanded address ranges for Belgium.
* ATM/cash stations added for all covered countries.
* Displays 1.5 million points of interest — restaurants, lodging, border crossings, attractions, petrol stations, campsites, shopping and more.
* Includes motorways, national and regional thoroughfares and local roads.
* Includes detailed information such as turn restrictions, roundabout guidance, speed categories and other navigation features.
* Gives turn-by-turn directions on your compatible Garmin device.
* Contains traffic data for compatible Garmin devices that use traffic receivers.
* Enhances pronunciation data for compatible Garmin devices that speak street names (example: "Turn right on Main Street.").
* (DVD only) Includes MapSource, computer software that lets you plan trips on your computer and transfer waypoints, routes and tracks between your computer and your Garmin device.

PeterSm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: V8 to V9 Reply with quote

Hi,
I've actually upgraded recently from V8 to V9 and I noticed quite a difference from the UK/Ireland maps at least.

Theres a lot of new roads, roundabouts etc, lots more built in POI's (which of course you'll ignore and use the ones here/MaFt's..) and it seems to calculate the routes slightly better (that may be nothing to do with the maps), but I do think it was worth the £55 I paid for it..and of course its kept the hardware usable for another year or so at least as well...
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: V8 to V9 Reply with quote

PeterSm wrote:
Hi,
I've actually upgraded recently from V8 to V9 and I noticed quite a difference from the UK/Ireland maps at least.

Theres a lot of new roads, roundabouts etc, lots more built in POI's (which of course you'll ignore and use the ones here/MaFt's..) and it seems to calculate the routes slightly better (that may be nothing to do with the maps), but I do think it was worth the £55 I paid for it..and of course its kept the hardware usable for another year or so at least as well...
Ok thanks for your comments, but all i am saying is- is that i would have thought that Garmin should give a bit of info as to where changes have been made, I bought a Garmin Street Pilot 3 about 6years ago and the software on it tried to direct me up a one way street while in Skegness and in Coventry, and now 5-6 years later we are on Version 9 and these errors still exist which i would have though would have been fixed on earlier versions, even last week while half way down the M1 my Garmin told me to turn around when possible and while in Leicester i was told to take the next right so i did and there was a brick wall in front of me with a canal on the other side which was a pain as i was relying on it for directions ..and NO the unit wasn't set for off road......i would have thought that some of these errors would have been corrected on these later versions especially with the Navtech mapping but they arn't. I am an electronics engineer and if i charge for the repair of a piece of equipment and the customer finds it still faulty they will return to me with a few harsh words.

TomTom 940 Live
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully understand. The v7 maps with my i3 where brilliant with only one or two errors in my locale in 2 years, but the 2008 and 2009 maps have loads of errors in my locale which i've spotted in a few weeks. Routing up bridle paths, routing through Private Gated estates, into a pub car park and through a brick wall (i'd love to know how that got in there!!!) and all manor of turn restriction errors.... Even a POI for a cinema torn down 9 years ago or so....

Really you need to take it up with Garmin or NavTeq. They'll have the info but i'm not sure if they'll give it to you or how detailed it'll be....

I understand your frustration but the quality of the maps is something i've learned to live with....
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone contacted Garmin or, probably more correctly, Navtaq, pointing out mapping errors in their locality? Unless advised otherwise, Navteq will assume that the maps are correct.
The mapping company produces maps for all over the world, errors on a particular local road may not be noticed by them for along time as I suspect that a road may only re-surveyed every 5-10 years, unless there are big changes in the area.
I think that it is up to users to look at their local area and bring errors to the attention of the relevant people so that they can be corrected on the next update. As far as I can remember there is a link on the Garmin web-site for this purpose.

Stop cursing the darkness, light a figurative candle. Smile
greg_m
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a great tool on the navteq website to report map errors:
http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/
just reported one common error on all maps near to my work place.
i hope it helps.
cheers.
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SILVERFOXE
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:30 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Chap's & Chapess's I too have just down loaded the latest map from Garmin & when driving along the A2 M at Dartford in Kent it still show's me driving in a field , exactly as it did with my old map which was 3 year old & the road was in situ even then .Some how me think's that garmin are taking the PEEE!!!! I mean just how out of date are these supposedly LATEST MAP UPDATE's At £60 a throw .

nuvi 350
map Europe NT 2009.11
Peter Pearce
I think Garmin are a crowd of Joker Joker Joker &SHOULD BE Gun Shoot Out Gun Shoot Out
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Map Updates Reply with quote

If concerned, it is best to subscribe for £99 one off fee to Garmins NuMaps which gives 4 map updates a year for the "life" of the unit, which will consistently give you the most up to date and accurate mapping

Not perfect, by any means - but best available

Otherwise make do with out of date maps and save your pennies - but don't complain, as mapping isn't a perfect science (yet) and until we have live mapping updates with many organisations inputing to their content (ie poit's that get out of date) then they never will be. For me they're pretty darn good though!
SILVERFOXE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your missing the point ,if they can't update one of the countrie's 2 most important road's to the continent after it being in situ for 3 year's , just what will be updated in 3 mth's . The point is they are asking us to buy an update which you are not getting ,one off or 4 time's a year you are still not getting an up date .

"Otherwise make do with out of date maps and save your pennies - but don't complain,"

Well I am complaining , & while people are prepared to put up with a 2nd rate service , that is what people will pay good money for .

No Spam Here or update's Regard's Peter Pearce
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Map Data Reply with quote

But Peter that is the data from Navteq not Garmin, and that is what IS on offer - if you don't like it, don't buy it. I know roads locally that appeared weeks after completion, which IS impressive

I understand not everything is up to date or included - or indeed accurate

And I too wish it were so

But it is not, and I for one am happy that for £99 I can get updates which, on a daily basis, help reduce one bit of stress from my job - getting to my clients on time

It is not accepting second rate services, but accepting that for the money we are are prepared to pay for sat nav (very low at the moment) the map data currently provided with your unit is superb - if we all are happy to pay £500 for updates, I am sure Navteq and TeleAtlas would be happy to employ many more people ensuring many more updates and corrections.It is about balance of cost and accuracy (and you won't hear me say that next time my unit doesn't get me to the door!!!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: