Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recording speed camera locations
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording speed camera locations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Recording speed camera locations Reply with quote

The latest newsletter mentions how to record new speeed camera while driving:

All three are explained in detail in 'Read More' link below:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=72926&highlight=quick+menu

Am I being thick? - I cannot see any article on the linked page.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could start by reading this forum post.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You could start by reading this forum post.

OK, but as it was about TomToms, I only looked in the TT forum - surely a more suitable location than the dedicated subscriber forum.

And I am even more confused by the reference in this weeks newsletter to "This week we will address the issue for TomTom users and next week Garmin" as the new link is to a post by Andy dated 22 December, which again I would have thought more suited to the TT forum than the speed camera forum, given that it is only of relevance to TT users. So, to perhaps make it available to more TT users, here is Andy's post:

Andy_P wrote:
As there is no specific piece of software available anymore, here's a few alternative methods of logging camera positions:

Firstly, make a new POI category called "New Cameras" or whatever to store them in.

Then:

Method 1 - Store straight into the New Cameras POI category
Tap to go to to Menu page 1 / Change preferences / forward arrow / Manage POI / Add POI / Scroll up or down and select category "New Cameras" / forward arrow / GPS position / then name it.
The position is stored at the moment you tap the "GPS Position" button.

That's way too many button presses for me when driving, so:

Method 2 - Temporarily store as a Favourite
Tap screen / Add favourite / forward arrow / GPS position / name it anything quick (like just "30" or whatever).

Then at your leisure (i.e. not driving), copy it from the Favourites to the new POI category by:

Menu page 1 / Change preferences / forward arrow / Manage POI / Add POI / Scroll up or down and select category "New Cameras" / Favourite / select it / then name it properly.

Still too many button taps?

Method 3a - Quickmenu Favourites
If your TomTom supports the "Quickmenu" feature you can set it to JUST 'add a favourite' (as suggested above) in the Quickmenu preferences.
Now, with a single tap it will save a Favourite at your present location.

But this has two drawbacks, one small, one large:
1. it automatically gives the new favourite the name of the road you are on, no way to alter it at all, so you have to remember what the camera was, the speed limit etc.
2. If you try to add a second position while you are on the same road (the M25 for example!) it overwrites the first one because it has the same name!

Method 3b - Quickmenu Map Corrections
If your TomTom supports the "Quickmenu" feature and you use MapShare you can set it to JUST 'make a map correction' in the Quickmenu preferences.
Now, with a single tap for each, this saves a whole list of un-named positions which you can review later.
To do this (when not driving) you go to Map Corrections. The TT will immediately say "You have marked x corrections. Would you like to review and change them now?"
Tap 'yes' and 'Handle now" then any of the selections to get to see the first one on the map (it seems to remember them in the order you entered them).
You can then browse through them one by one and note down the Lat/Long Positions for submission.
Just remember to tap "Back" and then "Delete" to go to the next one and never tap "Done" as that would add it as a Mapshare correction for TomTom!

The disadvantage of this method is you need to either remember what you've seen or write them down somewhere as you mark them!

Personally I use method 2 normally, but if I know I've got a lot to log in quick succession (the M25 again!), I use method 3b. As you can see, there are advantages and disadvantages to all of them.

Good article, Andy and I use 3A.

EDIT: to reflect change to Andy's post

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner

Last edited by alanji on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
OK, but as it was about TomToms, I only looked in the TT forum - surely a more suitable location than the dedicated subscriber forum.

Which is where Andy's post is? The post in the subscriber forum concerns the links problem and wasn't posted by me hence it is where it was posted by the OP.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
With regard to method 2, if I 'tap screen' I do not have "Add favourite" as an option on my 720 - perhaps it was a previous version of Navcore?
On the 720, it's "Tap Screen/ Forward arrow/ Add Favourite.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not work on all TT's.

But I just use the screen capture feature. I tap the screen as I pass the camera, then when home use manage poi's and browse to that position comparing it with the image.

You can normally find the position quite quickly Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
alanji wrote:
With regard to method 2, if I 'tap screen' I do not have "Add favourite" as an option on my 720 - perhaps it was a previous version of Navcore?
On the 720, it's "Tap Screen/ Forward arrow/ Add Favourite.

Thanks for spotting that error both of you... I'll edit the original post!
(alanji....Maybe you could edit the version in your quote above too, please?)

Pocketgps wrote:
This may not work on all TT's.

But I just use the screen capture feature. I tap the screen as I pass the camera, then when home use manage poi's and browse to that position comparing it with the image.

Can you give some more details, Pocketgps?
I'm always interested in new methods to add to that round-up, but I can't quite see how the "Manage POIs" will help you to find the position again if it is a new camera and you grabed the normal navigation view.

I can see how a screen grab of the map page might be good (especially if the coordinates view is switched on), but that would be another few screen taps to get to the right view.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
alanji wrote:

Which is where Andy's post is? The post in the subscriber forum concerns the links problem and wasn't posted by me hence it is where it was posted by the OP.

So it is - I looked at the top of the page, by mistake. Don't know how I missed the post at the time.

Andy_P wrote:

Thanks for spotting that error both of you... I'll edit the original post!
(alanji....Maybe you could edit the version in your quote above too, please?)

Sorry, Andy - I did not twig that "add favourite" was on the second page - it is not something I have used. Someone Police had already edited the quote in my post but I have deleted my comment so it does not look daft.

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: