Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Overspeed Warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Overspeed Warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lonedreamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Overspeed Warnings Reply with quote

Hi there

First of all I need to admit to being a 'newbie' straight out, simply so that if im missing anything obvious, you know that may be the reason!!

Bought my first GPS device literally 3 days ago, a Garmin Nuvi 205WT simply based on cost - needed a basic GPS system, though liked the traffic idea. Had to give up my snooper so was glad to read about the speed camera alerts.

Set up device, easy peasy but within about 10 seconds of leaving the shop was in a supposed 'temporary speed camera zone' telling me to travel 40mph in a normal 70mph limit....Issue being there was no 'temporary zone' so essentially I got 'bonged at' every 3 seconds for the next 5 minutes.
Suffice to say, Im a rep, and yes I speed...sorry but I do! I really want to know where there may be cameras coming up, but REALLY dont want to hear about the fact Im over the limit every bloody second..

After looking around at Garmins site, I couldnt see anyway of preventing the constant bonging, so I seemed to have to make a choice, scrap the Garmin and get a Tom Tom, on which I believe you can have one bong warning and no constant nagging....or stick with the most annoying feature ever.

Suffice to say, I found this site, and on reading about the camera warning POI here, tried to determine whether I could stop the ongoing beeping if I happen to be staying over the 'limit'
There seem to be several ambigious posts that each suggest a slightly different thing, some seem to suggest I can, others that its down to 'garmins system' which would suggest I cant.

I succesfully downloaded and installed (first time, would you believe it!!) The camera warning POI AND Ash's camera manager but yet still I am unsure

Please tell me I have not just spent £20 and yet am going to have to go and buy a tom tom anyway,

Question being...Can I stop the machine constantly warning me if Im 'overspeeding' ... can I do that with the 'poi' or with Ashs system, and if so, what setting do I need to fiddle with..

I would just like 'BONG' theres a camera soon (or maybe a camera) and then ONE 'BONG' you still seem to be over the limit....END OF STORY, Im not your mum, Im not going to nag the hell out of you.

:-)

(Laughing Out Loud please someone reply ...)

Thanks!!

Lone
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

The first problem is caused by Garmins own Cyclops Camera Database. To stop that you'll need to disable it.

Goto Tools, Settings, Proximity Points and untick Garmin Cyclops Database (Or similar).

As for using the PGPSW database once it's set up you should be happier.

First of all you only need to use either Ash10 Camera Manager (CM) or a manual download of the database as CM downloads the database itself.

If you contribute to Ash10 you'll be sent an unlocked version of CM which will allow you to separate out the Proximity and Overspeed Alerts for the database so you can only load the Proximity Alerts if you wish. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about the way Garmin make the Overspeed Alerts work as that's built into the unit, but with the Proximity Alerts only loaded you'll get one warning and that's it.

Any problems / question please ask.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it warning you of 70MPH rated cameras when you are above 43MPH actual road speed?
Also does it warn you of 30MPH rated cameras when you are above 17MPH actual road speed?

If you can answer yes to the above you have used POILoader to install the speed camera files with it set to KPH - it needs to be set to MPH for this to work in the UK, re-load the files using the MPH setting - Mike
lonedreamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Mike

No, its not the GPS World POI doing it (at the moment) its the built in Garmin one. - My question was therefore more in theory than practice, regarding whether or not the pgpsw warning system would allow me to switch off the ongoing (and extremely annoying) overspeed warnings which you cant actually switch off on the Garmin without turning the entire warning system off. - I made sure when I installed the POI using poiloader that I switched it to the feet/MPH setting, so that should be no problem.

Thanks Paul - looks like that answers the question. Seems ridiculous you cant set it to simply beep once for 'overspeed' or simply 'click' on an option to not have the overspeed warning at all... Personally cant imagine what Garmin were doing when they decided to make it like that, and am still tempted to take it back and replace with a tomtom - I suppose I can reassure myself that I havent wasted my 20 pounds as I now have lots of new friends to talk to in here ;-)

Chris
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have the Cyclops database switched off (don't forget it'll be out of date when you buy it until you update it) you'll only have the PGPSW warnings. That should improve the accuracy, with the exception it won't be directional - in others words the PGPSW database will warn of cameras on both sides of the road. Both Garmin and TT reserve that facility for their own use.

With regards to the £20 don't worry because whatever you do, stick with Garmin or switch to TT you can continue to use your subscription here.
edessad
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Overspeed Warnings Reply with quote

lonedreamer wrote:
Hi there

I would just like 'BONG' theres a camera soon (or maybe a camera) and then ONE 'BONG' you still seem to be over the limit....END OF STORY, Im not your mum, Im not going to nag the hell out of you.

Lone

There is an option under the POI's on/off setting under "audio" where you can set the warning to either give you a single beep or continous beep.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: