Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom OFFICIAL safety cameras OR PGPSW speedcam database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom OFFICIAL safety cameras OR PGPSW speedcam database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biglunn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Tomtom OFFICIAL safety cameras OR PGPSW speedcam database? Reply with quote

This might sound like a strange one, but Im after some info on comparing these different databases - which one is better?

I have used PGPSW speed cam databases on various Tomtoms (membership now expired) and they have been excellent, but now I have a new Tomtom 520 and Tomtom have a good offer with Speed Cameras & Traffic Updates for just £35.

How are the official Tomtom databases (and functionality) in comparision to PGPSW ones - do they break down the individiual cams like PGPSW ones (ie gatso, traffic light etc) and are they speed zoned?

Cheers in advance!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

This thread answers a lot of questions on the differences / pros & cons etc

Quote:
How are the official Tomtom databases (and functionality) in comparison to PGPSW ones - do they break down the individual cams like PGPSW ones (ie gatso, traffic light etc) and are they speed zoned?

The TT ones do feature the different types of cameras you mention but I'm not sure what you mean by "...are they speed zoned?" They do tell you the speed if that's what you want to know. Otherwise can you clarify the last section?
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 520 was running both data bases, but I've stopped using Tomtoms in favour of pGPSw and disabled the Report camera option for now, as it is slow to update from the Tomtom site. But this is a pending action, unless someone proves its worth!

Take care, keep your eyes on the road, not the navigator?

chas
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you were running both databases. Surely that gave you a comparison better than any of us can provide as "hearsay"? Didn't you notice any difference?

Here's the differences I saw when I did the same.
1. I can see the pgpsw cameras at all times when I browse the map. I can't see any of the TT cameras until I drive by one.

2. Pgpsw tell me how many cameras they have, TT don't. If for some reason I think pgpsw might be conning me and telling me a false figure, I can actually pick off the list and count them to prove it one way or another.

3. When I had the two databases running side by side on a brand new TomTom device which had received its first and only free update out of the box, the TT cameras on a run into London were wildly inaccurate, whereas the pgpsw ones were spot on. That was on the M4 and A4 route, not some obscure back street where TT could be forgiven for being a bit out of date. Memory fails me, but I seem to recall out of 17 cameras they had about half a dozen correct - including a whole raft of Specs Average speed cameras which had been removed moinths previously and another bunch not shown which had een there for ages. Just as bad, they had three different identities for three identical cameras (Gatsos which they showed as three different types).

4. I can configure the pgpsw ones to my heart's content, choose my own distance for the warnings to activate, choose my own warning alert sound - that is, mine all announce the speed limit of the camera in question. TT doesn't do this.

5. When I report a new camera, pgpsw act on my report and I can see on their submissions map that they have acted on it. They also send me an automatic email response acknowledging in writing receipt of my submission and mirroring back to me the contents of my submission.

Now, obviously I'm biased in favour of pgpsw database, but I have to say if you've run the two databases, I'm astounded you haven't noticed the difference for yourself.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: