Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go 510 Issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go 510 Issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 510 Issues Reply with quote

Hi,

I got a TT Go 510 last week and I'm really impressed with it. However, I have two issues. Firstly although the unit links ok with my Sony Ericsson W800i, even though I set the phone to always accept the TT the phone seems to think its a 710 and also I always have to agree to the pairing and put the 0000 password in. This isn't very conveniernt when driving as it often drops out and I have to pair it again.

The second problem is that when I used the home dock (eventually having had to change the home dock) whenever I link it to the computer, the unit seems to lose all my information already and it's as though I've turned it on for the very first time.

Anyone know about these issues?
clockworks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 510 and 710 are identical units, only the maps on the SD card are different. If you look at the label on the bottom, you'll see that your 510 is even labelled as a 710!

My 510 also "reboots" when I disconnect it fom the homedock - presumably it checks the card to see if anything has changed. It doesn't lose my settings, though, just takes a few seconds longer to switch on.

Maybe your unit is faulty?
kDmG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@LT.. what settings are you talking about .. i.e. your TT loosing?

Check out the following post..

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=44945

Cause I had the similar issues when docking/un-docking my TomTom GO and perhaps we both might have similar issues.

Ta
GPS v1.21 Boot 4.86
MAP: v650.1046
===============================
tommot82
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have BOTH the same problems as you LT. My W800i wont "auto pair" i have to manually do it (including entering the 0000 code) and more annoyingly my 510 resets itself every time i dock it with a pc.

howto recreate:

1) plug dock usb into pc
2) switch iff tomtom
3) insert tomtom onto dock
4) switch on tomtom
5) click yes on tomtom to connect to pc
6) Tomtom home software on pc auto loads up (and sometimes insists on running virtual device SETUP** AGAIN)
7) Do anything (or nothing) within the PC application
8 ) IF virtual tomtom is open switch off using "virtual" off button
9) click the eject button above "My Device" in the bottom left corner of TT HOME
10) tomtom device displays yellow bar along bottom of screen (runnig from right to left)
11) tom tom reboots (faint sound of speaker initialising can be heard)
12)"would you like to connect to the
12) SETUP** displayed!
13) All settings are lost. such as Home location, home phone number, tooltip etc... they are all recerted back to the default!!!

PLEASE can someone offer a solution? I only bought the thing at lunch today! I dont see MUCH need for the PC application but the backup feature is nice. I havent had to plan a complicated route yet but i would imagine this is ALOT easier than doing it on the hardware itself.

Do i (we) have faulty TT's taht should be returned or is this normal?

** by setup i mean the following:
a) language select
b) "need to setup preferences screen"
c) left/right handed option
d) miles/KM option
e) Time display option
f) set time
g) voice option
h) brief tour option
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not normal. contact Tomtom Support about this. The internal flash memory needs to be re-initialised. They appear to have an easy fix for this issue.
It happens only with certain 510s or 710s. No need to return your device.
tommot82
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks. I just sent an email to tomtom support!
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fot the replies. I've not had time to do much today but could you let me know how you get on with TT support?
SteveLoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problems here.

1) Unit resets when it's removed from the dock (but still remembers home location etc)
2) Motorola V3 will pair, download phonebook etc, but needs to be re-paired with the 510 every time a connection is made between the two.

I've logged both of these with Tomtom.

Steve
LT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a reply from TT Support which is as follows:

Please connect your device to your computer and "login" to HOME. Then, "download your updates" and install the latest software application.

On your phone, delete all bluetooth connections, turn the phone off and take the battery out of the phone. Then, make sure you have the latest firmware installed on your phone. Turn the phone back on and search for the phone from the TomTom and pair the 2 devices. Make sure that you select the TomTom as a 'trusted device" on your phone.

I've not tried this yet, as I'm having a new floor put in, so wil try that next week. I've also spoken to T-Mobile, who tell me that the bluetooth pairing will drop out to save battery power etc, and that is why I need to keep pairing it, but I don't get why I should have to keep saying always connect without asking.
SteveLoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT wrote:
I got a reply from TT Support which is as follows:

Please connect your device to your computer and "login" to HOME. Then, "download your updates" and install the latest software application.

On your phone, delete all bluetooth connections, turn the phone off and take the battery out of the phone. Then, make sure you have the latest firmware installed on your phone. Turn the phone back on and search for the phone from the TomTom and pair the 2 devices. Make sure that you select the TomTom as a 'trusted device" on your phone.

Well, I've got the latest update on my 510 (as of Wednesday, the last time I docked and use TTHome) and the latest firmware version on my phone, and I still have the same problem.

LT wrote:
I've not tried this yet, as I'm having a new floor put in, so wil try that next week. I've also spoken to T-Mobile, who tell me that the bluetooth pairing will drop out to save battery power etc, and that is why I need to keep pairing it, but I don't get why I should have to keep saying always connect without asking.

I don't believe this for a moment! Surely they mean that the bluetooth connection will drop out. How does the pairing use battery power, it's just a saved setting? Surely by that logic, the phonebook uses battery power as well, and after a while you'll lose your phonebook contents? :D

I have another bluetooth hands-free thingy which is paired with my V3, and that pairing works as intended:

1) Pair them on the first connection
2) All subsequent connections are established automatically, as expected. The V3 simply tells me that the connection has been made when the bluetooth hand-free thingy is powered on. I don't have to enter a passcode or PIN every time.

I've also tested my 510 with my wifes Nokia 6021, and that does exactly the same thing, the phone requests the code (0000) to re-pair the two devices. Surely this points to a problem with the 510?

I wonder if the two problems (resetting when taken from the dock, and having to constantly re-pair the phone to the Tomtom) are symptoms of the same underlying problem?

I'm still waiting for the response from Tomtom on my question.

Steve
mikewhi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have same problem ,disconnect from home and have to enter all settings again also lets me set password via home but does not transfer to 510 sd card is unlocked.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewhi wrote:
disconnect from home and have to enter all settings again
Do you switch the Virtual TT off on the PC and then use the My Device Disconnect at the bottom of the Screen?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikewhi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done both of those still the same.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the attributes of the MapSettings.cfg and the.CF file with the same name as the Map? Both in the Map Folder.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
padsbrother
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Tomtom support sorted it! Reply with quote

Hi,

I found this post thread because I had exactly the same problems (well, at least the re-setting of prefferences bit - I haven't tried BT yet). I got in touch with TomTom support, and within two days they sent me a link to a file which I un-zipped, ran and it cleared the flash memory, much like TuurG described.
Once you run the file, you need to re-register your maps, but other than that, everything works fine. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: