Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A Few Newbie Questions!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A Few Newbie Questions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: A Few Newbie Questions! Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got an Ipaq 5450 and I just got a TomTom wired GPS and Tom Tom Navigator v3 (GB). I've installed the 3.01 update, the 3.02 gps update, Niels postcode app, checkpoint 2.02, poi-edit and loads of POI's.

I have a few questions I wondered if you guys could answer for me though:

1) Slightly slow updating when i'm driving along, it seems slightly slow updating - so if I set off or speed up, it takes a good 3 or 4 seconds for the speed readout to catch up to anything like the speed i'm doing and if I pass a road, it's another second or 2 before the arrow on the navigator passes is - is this normal?

2) I am getting the odd funny hang or sometimes where I click something and the map or menus dont draw properly and I have to restart - is this normal?

3) Do TomTom produce map updates? - if so how often? - as I say i've installed the 3.01 navigator update and the 3.02 gps update but neither of these mention updating the maps. There is a road near us which has just been built/opened over the last year - how long before this is likely to appear in TomTom?

4) How can I add a specific point into the favorates? - if I sit outside my house the only way I can find to add it is to point to the map and it saves where the cursor is - isn't there a way of saying add the exact current co-ordinates to a favorate?

5) What's the accuracy of these GPS units/software? - i.e to the metre, centimetre, mile??

6) What kind of signal reading is good/bad/normal? - I see tomtom gives me a few bars and a number and the gps info gives a strange bar graph looking thing. On the way home last night, TomTom was giving between 3 and 5 - is this normal?

7) When you navigate to somewhere, tomtom flashes up "GPS position unreliable", then goes ahead and plots the route and works fine - is this normal? - is it just initialising the gps again or something?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance !!!

--ian
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) you may have too many programs in main memory. You mayy have too many POIs loaded.
2) may be caused by 1)
3) expect map updates on a yearly basis. They will not be free, however. Your road will only be included if bot the map provider and TomTom take it into account. Please report the missing street to TelAtlas.
4) in map mode, tap and hold the location that you want to add. a popup menu appears which includes "Add to Favorites"
5) 15-25 meters
6) you need at least three red bars for navigation. Everytinh above 4 bars is very good.
7) if TomTom can't find your current position on its map then you get that message. As soon as you are on known terrain it goes away. Live with it or report map discrepancies to TeleAtlas.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lbendlin,

Thanks for the reply - just a few followups:

Quote:
you may have too many programs in main memory. You mayy have too many POIs loaded.

I only have TomTom loaded but what do you mean by "POIs loaded"? - do you mean installed or ticked in the preferences to be shown on the map?

I have loads on there from POI-Sync but only petrol stations and cash points are been shown on the map with speed cameras been watched by checkpoint (v2.02).

Quote:
3) expect map updates on a yearly basis. They will not be free, however. Your road will only be included if bot the map provider and TomTom take it into account. Please report the missing street to TelAtlas.

That's a shame - I thought they'd do regular updates and assumed they'd be free.

What data do I need to report the new road and how do I find it?

Quote:
4) in map mode, tap and hold the location that you want to add. a popup menu appears which includes "Add to Favorites"

Ah, ok - that's how I was doing it.

Thanks!

--ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: