Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Audible audio books and 940
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Audible audio books and 940
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Audible audio books and 940 Reply with quote

At the moment Audible audio books don't work on the 940. I have complained to the 1st line TomTom support team who have sent the below reply. In essence please write to TomTom to if you want to see this feature added!

Dear ,

We passed your feedback on again within our technical department and have received a response.

Due to author rights and licenses TomTom chose not to implement the function in the new releases of our software for the GO 940.

We have registered your feedback and should we receive a lot of feedback regarding Audiobooks, it may well be in the companies interest to add this feature in the future.

Many thanks for your time.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that doesn't work, I'll swap you my 920? Very Happy

Although the way things are going the functionality will be removed for them soon.

I would be surprised if they changed the x40 to accommodate Audible recordings.

I would have also thought that Audible would have had to pay them for the feature on their devices, not the other way around, if all else fails you could always get an Ipod!

Cheers

Carl
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larok,

I'm sure you have tried, but Audible say that their Audible Manager is compatible with 'many' TomTom Devices. Have you tried authorising your 940 through Audible manager.

As far as I know, you can have only three 'authorised' devices on an Audible account, so if you had a previous TomTom in use, you may be advised to 'deauthorise' the old one.

It may be that TT don't understand how Audible DRM works, so perhaps a query with Audible's tech support may be more fruitful.

I had to 'reconnect' my 520 to Audible Manager after upgrading the software to 8.30
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an Audiobooks folder on the 940 and/or an Audiobook option from the menu system?

When it searches for .mp3s etc. is there an Audiobook folder, if there isn't then it makes no difference whether the Audible Download Manager will allow it, there will be nowhere to play it, another option is to convert the Audible file but then, if it could be done, you would have the age old problem of not being able to save your current position.

Also if you look at

TomTom says 940 does work with audible

you could ask them for an explanation of how your 940 isn't fit for purpose as advertised.

Cheers

Carl
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this thread
Tom Tom have removed the jukebox from the 540... so it does look as if they are removing features to help new ones run succesfully on this unchanged basic hardware...

Wouldn't be surprised if similar measures may be taken on the next Navcore for X20 and X30 devices... for the X20 at least, to try to solve present problems with that model.

Alan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more a marketing move IMHO, in a similar way to the x10 range only the top device gets the mp3 player capability built in.

The 940, 740 and 540 all share the same processor RAM etc so only the software load and certain firmware at a board level are different, the 940 can play mp3 quite happily and play demo audio books that are supplied with the device.

Why they have decided to only make the music player available on the 940 is more probably to entice users to purchase that device than a hardware limitation - Mike
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that it may have been you who answered me in another topic a week or two ago Mike, that Tom Tom had done just this with the "One" series... progressively reducing features... such as Itinerary Planning and POI editing as each new version was introduced... mind you, I would rather not have a juke box, than lose the excellent Itinerary and POI edit features on the Go.

Alan.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
mind you, I would rather not have a juke box, than lose the excellent Itinerary and POI edit features on the Go.
Alan, every user has different uses and needs from their device(s) - I could make do without Itinerary and to some extent the POI options (Warnings of POI are a definite need though).

I wouldn't be happy without the Music player and am somewhat disappointed at the current state of affairs with the FM Transmitter - I don't need it in my own car as I use Bluetooth, but when I use a hire car which is quite often I liked the flexibility the FM Tx offered without having to carry an external transmitter.

Each to their own I guess, the world would be a very boring place if we were all the same! - Mike
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess we'll see if audiobooks is supported on the 940. Really like the device and Live services though.
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be a little lost without the Itinerary Planning Mike, as Eirwen and I have a motorhome as our only form of transport, and without a decent "narrow roads" feature, depend on the Itinerary Planning to keep us out of the really narrow lanes... Rolling Eyes ... which originally decided me to choose the Go device rather than the cheaper current One series... if Tom Tom did start to reduce features on the X20 devices, then I would revert to one of my earlier Explore backups, to keep the features I require of my device... thank goodness for the constant reminders on this forum to make Explorer backups... Very Happy

I only use the X40 navcore at the moment, as I particularly like the new "pointy" POI markers... they seem to point more accurately than the old ones, which is an aid when using Itinerary planning... I use POIs as waypoints, rather than Favourites when planning a route... also quite like the new menu icons, but they are only cosmetic of course.

As you say,.. each to his own.

Alan.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
I only use the X40 navcore at the moment, as I particularly like the new "pointy" POI markers...
The new x20/ x30 releases (8,300) also use the "pointy" POI icons, but I can understand you running the x40 release of Navcore on the device TBH - Mke
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there more than one type of audiobook as I have about 5 demos on my 940 that play back OK? I go into Jukebox then Audiobooks and get the choice of Cell, Enders Game, HBR ; The Why etc, Holidays on Ice and Horton Hears a Who.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT, yes there are various formats for audiobooks available. The ones on the TT as Demos are in plain mp3 format, but if you get them from iTunes or Audible.co.uk they are in proprietory formats which are DRM protected.

In the case of Audible audiobooks, several TT devices are compatible, but the x40 series is not on the list of supported devices. As I'm a subscriber to their service, I asked their Support and got the following response overnight:

Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting Audible UK

We are constantly in discussion with device manufacturers in a bid to have as many players support our format as possible but I am sorry this isn't the case yet with TomTom X40. You can, however, still burn your titles to CD or play them from your computer.

I have also kept a record of your contact and will notify you if the player supports our format in the future.

Kind Regards

Audible Customer Support

If I hear aything from them, I'll post again.
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

I wounded if you recieved a response from Auible.co.uk or anyone for that matter regarding the compatibility of the 940 with Audible Audio books?

Stupid me took Tomtom on their word assuming that what they advertised was infact the truth, silly me hey!

Very frustrated as I use audio books a lot, and having spent a small fortune on the 940 I know find out I would have been better of sticking with my 930!

Any updates anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limans75 wrote:

I wounded if you recieved a response from Auible.co.uk or anyone for that matter regarding the compatibility of the 940 with Audible Audio books?
Cheers,
Steve

Steve,

I'm sorry to say that to date, I have not had any news regarding the TT940 from Audible. I've just checked their compatibility list again and it shows just the Go series with the following models - 930, 730, 930, 730, 920, 720, 520 and 910.

Sorry I can't help any further.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: