Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - LMG question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

LMG question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: LMG question Reply with quote

I understood that the Latest Map Guarantee entitles you to any new maps issued up to 30 days after you buy the TT. However, I just spoke to TomTom support who say that you are only entitled to any new versions which were already released when you bought the TT.
stuey99fx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i suppose that the LMG is there to ensure that your tomtom as upto date with the latest map when you buy it , not for you to hold out until day 29 to update and hope you'll get a newer map .
question is will the TT server know this and stop you getting a newer map than the one you should get ?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download the latest released maps within 30 days of first using the unit once.

So if you downloaded on day 2 and a newer map comes out on day 5, you can not download the newer map on day 5. If you had waited to day 5 without downloading you could then download that map.

Often TT support do not know what they are talking about.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT talking out of it's Censored

If a new map becomes available within the 30 days you can download it for free. That's the whole idea. LATEST map guarantee.

But when the next map/update will be released is the question Crying or Very sad
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
TT talking out of it's Censored

If a new map becomes available within the 30 days you can download it for free. That's the whole idea. LATEST map guarantee.

But when the next map/update will be released is the question Crying or Very sad

Well I thought that was the case. I currently have Map 8.10.1934 and my 30 days expired yesterday but I've only just noticed today that the latest map is 8.15. So I rang TT in the hope that they might take pity on me (ho,ho), but if they won't even agree what you are saying above then no chance.

Incidentally, they sent me an email after the support call as follows, however I find it ambiguous on the subject (the fact that they stress the one-time nature of it lends weight to the argument that it can be a new one after purchase) -

"The Latest Map Guarantee Code is used to ensure that you have the latest map released at the time of purchase installed on your device. It entitles you to a free download of the latest Map within 30 days from the date of purchase."

I had to cut out a load of installation instructions here cos the forum was not letting me post HTML tags, but the last instruction was -

"This will offer you the latest map as a download if it is not already installed on your device and you are within 30 days of you first connecting your TomTom to your computer. Please note that the Latest map Guarantee is a one time offer. Once you have downloaded and installed the latest map, the latest map guarantee offer will expire."

I think the first para above is the support person's own paraphrasing of her understanding of the rule and the second one the truth.

(10 minutes later)
Good job I persevered. Just spoken to them again and another support person told me what I thought, that the first person was talking rubbish. I am now upgrading, however made the mistake of kicking it off from work to discover to my dismay the first map (North America) is going to take 4 hours to download with dire warning messages not to interrupt it. I will have to come back to work this evening to collect my laptop.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LMG works like this, if i understand it correctly.

You buy a TomTom with map 810 installed.

You know 815 is out already and map 830 is possibly round the corner.

If you download nothing within the 30 days you are stuck with map 810.

If you download map 815 within the 30 days you are stuck with 815 even if map 830 comes out before your 30 days period is up.

If map 830 is released and you haven't used your LMG (i.e. you are still on 810) then you can upgrade to 830.

Personally I'm waiting until day 27-28 unless something appears sooner.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Personally I'm waiting until day 27-28 unless something appears sooner.

Yes, that was my understanding too, hence the reason I waited until the end of the period (but then forgot, doh !). However, you may not have noticed my edit above, all is resolved now.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a consolation, if it all goes wrong and you do not get the LMG but then subscribe to the Map Update Service (before the new maps are released) you would have to upgrade to the latest map for which you would get an 85% discount then pay for the Map Update Service. The cost of getting the LMG wrong was only £6.95 extra for me for the UK maps.

If you get the latest 8.15 map under the LMG and you want the Map Update Service I would suggest subscribing after the 8.15 is installed but before the new maps are released (very soon I expect) and you will only pay for the service. After the new map release date you would have to pay (less 85%) for the latest new map before joining the service. Guessing the dates is very difficult.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sorry (doing 3 things at once) and i missed it. Well done Thumbs Up
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted Tony Laughing
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now downloaded latest maps to my 940 (and incidentally TT seem to give a little bit of leeway on that 30 days, because I know I was a day or two over), although I did have some problems with failed downloads so I would like to check what versions are installed. The Europe one is easy enough and I have 8.15.2003 but how do I check the American one, it doesn't appear in the information screen ?
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, just answered my own question, I have to switch maps first.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: