Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One 125 Firmware downgrade? [Solved]
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One 125 Firmware downgrade? [Solved]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: TomTom One 125 Firmware downgrade? [Solved] Reply with quote

I just purchased a TomTom One 125 (bottom says 4ee0.001.00) running software version 8.014. I'm really not sure if this is classified as a V1, V2, V3 or V4 unit. There's 1GB internal memory and no SD slot for me to play with.

There's a feature in the TomTom Home software called "Operate my One", which fails to work. I'm told that if I had software version 8.010 that this feature would actually work. Further, it sounds like if I had an even earlier version I'd have an "Itinerary" feature that sounds slick.

I already found a 8.010 image on rapidshare, but it didn't seem to work and I'm not sure if it was for my device (or if that even matters). It failed to boot, but when I plugged it into a computer and rebooted it showed up as a drive, so I was able to restore from backup. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by bobpaul on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in the US, bobpaul?

I've only heard of a model called the "125" being sold in America (with US and Puerto Rico maps - no Canada), but that had a slightly different model number.
In the UK, the 4EE0.001.00 number refers to what TomTom usually call a One "30 series" or "22" model (they've used both names on their website!), but which is generally known as the "models with the new 'easyport' mount" There are both Western Europe and UK models - which is yours?

Anyway, on to your questions. The Itinerary feature was disabled on earlier ONE models but still existed, buried in the software, and a new custom menu could bring it back. Later software versions removed it completely.

The "Operate my One" feature WILL work, once TomTom get round to producing the .dll file needed for it.
When they have done so, Home will download it automatically, but only when you try to use the "operate..." feature, so try it often.

There are different versions of v8.010 for different machines, so you probably got a version for a different machine/model, but the correct one for the 30-series models (if that is what you have!) can be downloaded direct from TomTom HERE

Once downloaded, you will need to use WinRar to extract the files and folders from the .cab archive (Search Google for sources of WinRar)and then paste them onto your machine in place of the existing system files/folders of the same names.

As usual - BACK UP EVERYTHING FIRST.
bobpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I am indeed in the US. The maps I have are version 725.1905, according to the "Show Contents" feature in TomTom Home. (Interestingly, they have version 815.x maps for sale, but when I do "Use Latest Map Guarantee" it says I already have the latest maps. That's clearly not true. Hrmff.) I do have the EasyPort mount. When I bought it, I noticed it looked identical to the 130 but without Canadian maps and a third cheaper.

After extracting the CAB file you found onto the device it froze at the splash screen the first 2 or 3 times I tried to turn it on. Finally, just when I had given up and was going to restore the backup it booted up as normal.

And there we go! 'Operate my One' now works. Thank you very much. How did you find the firmware on their website? Everything I found said TomTom Home would mange the updates for me.
Jackseric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there down sides to rolling back your software to the older version?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, quite often new maps require the software on the device to be of a specific release or newer (as they are made available), putting new maps on a unit running old Navcore will often produce a warning screen saying "No Maps Found".

You can use older maps with the newer software though if you really want to - Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobpaul wrote:
Thanks, I am indeed in the US. The maps I have are version 725.1905, according to the "Show Contents" feature in TomTom Home. (Interestingly, they have version 815.x maps for sale, but when I do "Use Latest Map Guarantee" it says I already have the latest maps. That's clearly not true. Hrmff.)

The Latest Map Guarantee only works ONCE. If you have accepted the map it offered and downloaded it then you cannot use it again.

As you may have only had this unit a few days then wait until approximately the 2 week in February as a new map/map update should become available. The current map v815 was released on the 11th Nov, 2008. So that means that the quarterly update should be out in Feb as I said above.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
.....wait until approximately the 2 week in February as a new map/map update should become available.

Not a good idea for 'bobpaul'..... he bought his unit before he made his first post on the 5th of Jan!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Pocketgps wrote:
.....wait until approximately the 2 week in February as a new map/map update should become available.

Not a good idea for 'bobpaul'..... he bought his unit before he made his first post on the 5th of Jan!

Are, yes.

I must read the ORIGINAL post date first Stop it!
bobpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Well, and not to mention that the first thing TomTom Home asked me when I first loaded it up was "Would you like to look for updated maps" to which I replied, "Duh!".

That would have been around Jan 1, I believe.

Anyway, I'm still curious how you found the firmware on tomtom's website. As long as I have old maps, I may as well try out some older firmwares. I hear this thing used to support multiple waypoints with an itinerary manager. How far back would I have to go for that? How far back does TomTom still have firmwares posted?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure "Itinerary Planning" isn't in the menu? and if it isn't can you make sure you don't have a custom menu intalled to the device.

AFAIK the newer XL has the Itinerary option, but I have never seen the exact US spec device you have so I could be wrong - Mike
bobpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Are you sure "Itinerary Planning" isn't in the menu? and if it isn't can you make sure you don't have a custom menu intalled to the device.

I've done nothing to the device other than install the official 8.0.1.0 firmware that Andy_P found for me.

mikealder wrote:
AFAIK the newer XL has the Itinerary option, but I have never seen the exact US spec device you have so I could be wrong - Mike

The XL is a higher end model, and yes, the US version of that has itinerary. From what I've read, lower end models, such as the 130 and 125 lost itinerary completely in the 8.x series of firmwares, but some of the 7.x series firmwares still had it, but it was disabled (ie, custom menus could bring it back). The only maps that I have are the maps that I believe came with the device, 725.1905, so I'd be limited to trying firmwares new enough to run those maps.[/url]
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy has v7.166 for the One on his website HERE, but my notes say that was for the "One 3rd Edition" only. So long as you have everything backed up, there's no harm in trying it though.
bobpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got smart and used the version numbers from the oldboy 7.166 to get a download link for v6 on the tomtom website. Sadly it still doesn't seem to work. Actually, there are fewer files in the 7.166 archive than in the 8.010 archive that did work, so I wonder if the 7.166 is just a hotfix of sorts and only works when applied to an older 7.x firmware, or if it doesn't support my hardware (no complaint about the maps.. sometimes it plays a startup sound and always freezes on the TomTom logo).

I searched further and found this definitive list of firmwares (Oh, hey, it's Andy_P...) which states that the 30 series requires a minimum of 7.522 in order to function. Unfortunately, I would also need the 4 digit application version number to guess a link for download.tomtom.com.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what version are you actually trying to find?
bobpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
So what version are you actually trying to find?

Well, I was actually hoping there was a way to browse the firmwares available on download.tomtom.com, but I guess that's probably not going to happen. I had thought I was looking for 7.166, but that list would seem to indicate that 7.522 is the earliest that would run on my device.

The specific firmware isn't really important, but I'm hoping to get something from the 7.x series running on my device so I can use custom menus to enable itinerary support. It's entirely possible that 7.522 is still too new, as all of the instructions I've found for itinerary support have referenced 7.166, but the only complaints I've read have been about that evil 8.x firmware, so maybe anything from the 7.x series is fine. I don't know... I'm new at this.

Anyway, I appreciate the help thus far. By my reading, nobody else has gotten itinerary on a One 125/130, though, so it's probably not possible. But I'm obsessive by nature, so damn if I'm not going to try! ;)

Edit Well, I had an interesting Saturday. I found an 8.204 firmware put together by the guys who pirate maps. It's from one of the live products, but has been modified to work on all of the Ones. I guess it's also been "pre-cracked" so you can use pirated maps, but the USA maps that came with my device still work without doing anything. It has icons and preferences for things like bluetooth, fm transmitter, and search google, and record voices that my hardware can't support, but it does have the Itinerary planning feature, so I got to play with that. The other device must have a smaller speaker, because the voices are EXTREMELY loud, even at 10% volume. Also, I'm a little afraid to hook this up to tomtom home. My maps are legal, but the kernel(?) has been modified, so I'm not sure what might happen if I synchronize, so I'll probably revert even if I can't get the volume sorted out.

Last edited by bobpaul on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: