Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Performance between ST to XT modes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Performance between ST to XT modes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Performance between ST to XT modes Reply with quote

Have had the Fortuna Clip on for a couple of weeks, and have tried both modes. It is paired with Copilot 4 (v105), Ipaq 3970 and WM 2003

I'm just sharing my experiences whilst driving through central london (Gower St, Covent Garden and Aldwych area)

When using the ST mode the Fortuna never lost a signal, however sometimes the accuracy was way off - perhaps two streets away.

When switched to XT mode, as you would expect the signal was improved and even when I was in traffic with at least 10 story buildings either side still maintained a 3d link.

I have heard that the XT mode cause performance problems delays etc. Well I now leave the fortuna in XT Mode and so far even on motorways doing 70mph + (ahem) has still worked perfectly.

Am well pleased with the Fortuna.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this experience. Generally the XT mode should only show in phases of acceleration or deceleration. For example when you happen to stop for a traffic light, the receiver may "continue to drive on" for a few seconds before coming back to your position. Same for turns. Driving at constant speeds doesn't normally expose this XT induced effect.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also experenced the lag. I still use it for street nav though. I just watch my route to know when I need to turn insted of waiting for the program to say when. The XT mode is great. I get 11 in view, 10 tracking and fix with 8-9 all the time. I've seen a fix with 11! However, I have never seen 12, the max I believe. I usually run with 12-19 feet accuracy. I've never seen less than 11 though. I'd like to once see single digit accuracy like 9 feet.
bengt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: XTmode Fortuna Reply with quote

I have used my Fortuna since jan04 and been travelling around the world with it and used it in much in streetnavigation- Only uses XT mode-and never STmode- It almost never loses fix WHEN it has got it. Accuracy very good and if you know its a small delay it causes no problems whatsoever .
If you start up the GPS eg in the morning after a long idle time in a running car and you have few satellites and weak signals it can take a very long time to get a fix. A Magellan colour (Quad/Helixantenna)at the same conditions gets the fix faster.
On the other hand if you stand still a couple of minutes and get a fix to the Fortuna under those conditions its no problems it almost never loose it.
The Magellan can loose the fix where the Fortuna still has it.
I tested this in Australia in March at least 10 times with both GPses operating when travelling in the rainforests and mountains and a moving Fortuna always had the troubles starting with no fix under severe conditions
http://hem.passagen.se/bigben39/log.htm

Ben

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: