Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should Memory Map now support the Active 10?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should Memory Map now support the Active 10?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Should Memory Map now support the Active 10? Reply with quote

When I first got my A10 I contacted Memory Map to ask when their mapping software would include the Satmap Active 10 in it's list of supported GPS units: their answer was "never", on the grounds that it was a direct competitor to their own Road Angel device.
Since Garmin have now launched OS mapping on their Oregon range of devices, and I think we can safely assume that Memory Map aren't about to drop Garmin from the supported GPS unit list in the next release of MM, that argument no longer holds water.
There is no longer any reason to exclude Satmap users from their software in the way that they have been until now; by sheer market inertia, Garmin's OS-enabled units pose a far greater threat to Memory Map's Road Angel than Satmap's Active 10 and memory map are at risk of actually losing users because of this intransigence.

In an ideal world, Satmap would develop their own mapping software that employs a USB SD card reader to access mapping direct from mapcards, but this looks unlikely at this point in time (nice idea though it is, the online route planning facility is far too limited in terms of performance, size of map visible on-screen and reliance on a network connection to be a viable alternative). Memory Map appear to be cutting off their own noses to spite their face.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sem to recall somewhere on these forums that SatMap originally approached MM to share software/hardware but they couldn't agree terms.Whether this is true or not I don't know but if it is perhaps there is a bit of animosity from MM at SatMaps success.

I tend not to agree regarding the Planner.I can see it being a big threat to the likes of MM,Anquet etc.For the price of a SatMap and maps you are virtually getting MM of the whole country ( 1:5000 AND 1:25000 ) plus other world wide mapping,aerial 3D etc. thrown in for free ( although I understand a charge is to be made for those units registered after the planner comes out ).

If I was MM etc. I would be afraid,very afraid.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: