Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - mio didi walker 168
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

mio didi walker 168

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: mio didi walker 168 Reply with quote

hi all i have a mio digi walker 168 the main charge/data connecter on the motherboard has come off so im unable to charge the unit so i want to hack into the battery wiring to charge it up,what i want to know is witch wires are plus/minus,there are 4 wires coming out of the battery.
cheers longy. Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is problem with doing this sort of thing though - its called safety

The PDA will contain regulation circuitry to prevent the battery from going over temp and taken too far they can in fact catch fire with quite explosive results - I would try and get the 168 repaired or replaced than risk a battery fire through incorrect charging - the extra wires are often temperate sensors to prevent the battery from going up.

Try looking at YouTube and do a search for LiPol and it will show you what I mean, This is one such example - after one and half minutes imagine that in the house!!!! - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a post here somewhere where it tells you where you can get the part, quite cheap, and how to fit it, evidently no soldering required. I can't find the post at the moment but will have another look.
longy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys for your replies
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found it, I thought it was on this site but it was elsewhere.

Quote:
For those of you who suffer the dreaded charge socket failure there is some news for you!
When mine broke I thought I was going to have to pay around £45 to get it repaired - not the case at all. Despite the online adverts stating it's a 22 pin connector (which is true) NONE of those pins are actually soldered at all!
Just 4 crosshead screws and split the case apart and you wil see the socket at the bottom of the motherboard. You will probably have to disconnect the gps aerial but thats just a small connector - don't forget to re-connect before you put it all back together!

The socket is connected to the motherboard by 2 small lugs which are actually part of the casing of the socket. Using a small soldering iron and a small bit of pressure, the socket will come away from the motherboard quite easily. I got my replacement socket on Ebay - around £4.50 inc postage!
Suggest you clean up the 2 places where the case goes on the motherboard to get the old solder out then just put the new socket in - you'll see that the 22 pins actually only 'pressure' connect. Make sure you press the new socket down as you solder the 2 lugs and hey presto a fixed 168 !

longy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that m8. Very Happy
longy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys for all your help iv managed to fix it using this method below works perfect

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/taximania/maxx/repair.html

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: