Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sorry I'm a newbie and need some advice before I subscribe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry I'm a newbie and need some advice before I subscribe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Sorry I'm a newbie and need some advice before I subscribe Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am rather slow when it comes to technology. I want to download the camera database but am worried that I already have the tomtom original database and another database, that i purchased on 'ebay' that is very out of date. They both are on the device so i have mulitple warnings! Ugh!!

I would like to remove the old stuff and start again with the pocketgpsworld download. CAn I remove the old rubbishy stuff. Is it simple for someone like me? Would it effect my TT guarantee as the device is only 2 months old.

I am a tomtom 730T

Thanks in advance for any replies.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the easy ways to remove redundant POI files from the device is by actually doing it from the on screen menu:

If you tap Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Delete POI Category the device will list all the custom POI files you have installed in the map folder - select each POI file and confirm the deletion, repeat this process until all the categories you don't want have been purged from the device.

For the TomTom database go to TomTom Services/ TomTom Safety Cameras and disable the cameras from the options provided.

The above avoids connecting the device to the PC and deleting files and is probably one of the safest methods to remove unwanted POI categories.

Doing the above will have no bearing on the warranty at all - Mike
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, that was a quick response, I only popped into the kitchen to make a cup of tea!

Thank you very much for so quickly answering. This is a FANTASTIC forum. I'm gonna try and do what you suggested. Sounds simple enough even for me.

I hope it will be as easy installing the new ones as I've decided to subscribe to this database.

Thanks ever so much once again.

Ron
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron there are a number of guides to installing the database from this site which you can read, most are linked from the Speed Camera downloads page if you scroll down to the table of software/ devices supported.

If you get stuck or you are in anyway unsure about what to do please post on the forum and someone will answer your questions - it is very easy to install and configure - Mike
Shane-1970
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do better than this forum, the people who run it and all the members who are willing to help in any way they can.

The PGPSW Camera Database is the most up to date there is, I did have TomTom's at the same time but found they never updated it no where near as much as here so I stopped using TT's and that was quite a few years ago.

Oh welcome! Very Happy
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, have you backed up your 730T to your computer? It gives you a working version to reinstall if you inadvertently remove or corrupt any vital files.

Follow the instructions for #1 on the TomTom FAQs Page.

It's worth spending some time looking at the other useful stuff on that page too.
Samsung Galaxy S21
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your kind help.

I have deleted the things suggested by Mike and everything still looks good.

I have followed the guidance from Anita and backed up everything using the tt home page.

I have just subscribed to the database and am now working my way through the instructions.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks everybody.

Ron
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rascall wrote:
I have followed the guidance from Anita and backed up everything using the tt home page.

Don't rely on a back up made via Home. It isn't always reliable, and if you make a second backup it overwrites the previous one. Follow the instructions linked to in my previous post to make a backup via Windows.

It's worth making backups before you make any major changes to your device, such as updating software or maps, but make a fresh backup each time, naming it something meaningful so you'll know which is which.
Samsung Galaxy S21
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks, with all your help I think I am done. I have installed the camera database and the voices.

Not sure what pocketgps uk pmobile means but downloaded a voice file to cover these, but I think thats where I have gone wrong as I did not get the same option screens and it is not offering me to choose which voice input to have.

The only thing is to try it out but I dont know how to get the cameras and voice up on demo routes. I want to go out for a spin now to try it now but its too icy out so I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

I think this is going to be the best £16+ quid I have invested in.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure what pocketgps uk pmobile means

pMobiles are covered on the download page.

Quote:
What are the pMobile files?

The pMobile files were added as an extra set of warnings so that you could be aware of places that may have a mobile camera in place. They are sites that have been submitted but not yet verified and so have not been checked for accuracy.

It would be of benefit if you could report, via the submissions page, whether you have seen a pMobile site in use or any other information that may help us verify or reject the pending site.

Quote:
The only thing is to try it out but I dont know how to get the cameras and voice up on demo routes.

I'm not sure but they might appear on a demo route anyway. Try it and see...

Good luck with it, let us know of any problems so we can help.
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. All of the cameras seem to be on the map and it's looking good. Thanks for all your kind advices.

I now have a new problem. When approaching one of the cameras the voice includes the words ''pocketukgps'' before every warning. Is there a way that I can delete just this word. I thought that it would say ''warning'' instead.

Thanks again folks.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rascall wrote:
I now have a new problem. When approaching one of the cameras the voice includes the words ''pocketukgps'' before every warning. Is there a way that I can delete just this word. I thought that it would say ''warning'' instead.

Thanks again folks.

Are you using the 'Full' or 'Brief Spoken Warning' option? It will always read the file name of the POI which includes our name. Much better to use our custom real voice alerts instead, available via the link in my signature or alternatively type in your own warning.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you set up the POI Warnings Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI there are four sound related option to select from - you need to use the bottom one "Type in your own warning" - this gives you the option to enter whatever text you want for the device to read out.

You will have one of the top two items on the selection list checked which force the unit to read out the name of the POI file, this is why the device is reading out the "pocketukgps" - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But do try our real voice alerts, they're the best solution IMHO.
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having much luck.

I have tried to do what Mike has kindly suggested but am not getting the screen with the four related sound options. I removed the sound for each spped zone file and re-entered. It asked me to add the sound and I clicked on the little speaker for each camera, ie ''gatso 20 mph'' and the womans voice repeated it. I clicked that this was the voice I wanted to use and clicked done. I have repeated this for every icon and now it has reverted to bongs for every camera???

Any ideas? I am sure it's me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: