Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Crashed TomTom???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Crashed TomTom???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jediscrew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Crashed TomTom??? Reply with quote

Hi, new to the forum. I've had a TomTom Go 520 for about a year now and it's been great. I went to update it the other day for the first time in a few months and now when i turn it on all i get is a little musical jingle that i've never heard before and then onto the beach scene where it just stays. I've tried resetting it a few times but it seems to make no difference. Any help would be gratefully received.
Many Thanks
Gregg.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Gregg, did you make a back up of the device when you got it? - if not all isn't lost, connect it to your PC and using Windows Explorer can you see the drive letter associated with your TomTom, if so open the drive letter, now can you see files and folders?

I appreciate thats a few questions but with those answered we will be in a better position to offer more specific advice to resolve your problem - Mike
jediscrew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, thanks for your response. Been trying different bits on the pc before i saw your reply like updating the tomtom and i got the message G:\ttgo.bif could not be deleted and i remember this being the case before i had the problem before. Don't know if this makes a difference. Will try what you said too.
Cheers
Gregg.
jediscrew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It now appears that i can't connect to a pc. took it to my mum's which is a newer quicker pc and still can't so unable to what was previously suggested. really stuck now.
jediscrew
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

managed to get it connected and can see the folders now. wahey, what's next please?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you try more than one USB lead and try connecting it to the USB ports on the rear of the PC as using a Hub can mess things up - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous two posts in this thread were at the same time so ignore my last advice!

Right we can see the files and the folders, First of all you should use Windows Explorer to copy everything from the device to the PC in case something goes wrong during the next steps, the map folder is vital as you don't have this data on a disk unless previously backed up.

Read FAQ #1 on This if you need to know about creating a indows Explorer Backup.

With the back up complete, what you need to do is delete all the loose files within the root directory of the device.

DO NOT TOUCH ANY FOLDERS OR FILES WITHIN FOLDERS

Then connect the device to TomTom Home and let it update the device, this will download the correct files for the device and transfer them to the unit

Or if you don't want to use TomTom Home or delete any files from the device (which is probably a safer option) have a read of the method I posted last year which can be found by clicking Here - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: