Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTG 720T RDS TMC and mctx.dat
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTG 720T RDS TMC and mctx.dat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: TTG 720T RDS TMC and mctx.dat Reply with quote

Hi Folks

For no good reason, my 720T stopped displaying the traffic update on screen. No amount of unplugging / plugging back of the connector made any difference.
Also, the computerised voices took on an awful st st st stutter.

I managed to cure the st st st stuttuer by doing a reset - but I still couldn't activate the traffic update or seem to get a signal displayed. Had never been an problem before.

Found on this forum a fix for a corrupted mctx.dat file - but it threw up one slight technical issue that I cannot find the answer to.

Should the mctx.dat file be saved with 22222 or 22220 ??
It's currently saved with 22222 - but doesn't seem to lock on to any signal - though I have only tried that static on the driveway.

Ordinarily, I'd look at the backup file for reference - only that's corrupted too.

Thanks

Mick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of Navcore have you got installed to the unit? the last file set that I have for the x20 units with mctx.dat was 7,221 where it read 22222 after that every release has contained something else which perhaps the Egyptians could have written - that said with every version 7 release the one minute delay was a problem, so perhaps you shouldn't be putting this value in to the file.

The posts from earlier today concerning this were relating to a different device the Go-710, please do not assume a fix for this hardware is applicable to all devices - Mike
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
What version of Navcore have you got installed to the unit? the last file set that I have for the x20 units with mctx.dat was 7,221 where it read 22222 after that every release has contained something else which perhaps the Egyptians could have written - that said with every version 7 release the one minute delay was a problem, so perhaps you shouldn't be putting this value in to the file.

The posts from earlier today concerning this were relating to a different device the Go-710, please do not assume a fix for this hardware is applicable to all devices - Mike

Hi Mike.

Sorry - how do I discover what version of Navcore I'm running?

The contents of mctx.dat looked like a random set of characters typed in by the cat walking across the keyboard.
having input 22222, I do now at least get the traffic indicator on the screen ..... even if it hasn't (yet) locked on, so I assume I'm heading in the right direction.

Regards

Mick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To find out the current Navcore tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box on the righthand side of the screen, the resultant screen will display the Navcore version and current map - what combinations have you got installed - Mike
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
To find out the current Navcore tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box on the righthand side of the screen, the resultant screen will display the Navcore version and current map - what combinations have you got installed - Mike

Thanks ... as follows

App 8.300 (9732/08130) OS:244890
64 MB RAM (free: 16.9MB)
gps v1.20, Boot 5.5015
map: western _europe v815.2003
language: english uk

Mick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no "mctx.dat" file in the 8,300 Navcore update so the file will have remained the same as used in the previous version which is:

TX01C°óöÌVε .•P°Q'Îw^';mµ#ó5»‡OϺïp<#ÕÿHpç

Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 8.3 core update (for the x30 series) cab file there is a mctx.dat file which has virtually the same string as Mike's above except there are another 7 characters (ƒT ×±wù) after that.

On my 530 this works on both the jack and USB type TMCs although I had such bother getting a signal I gave up on TMC. It works fine in my loft but not well in the car in the area where I live (nr M25/M1).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting find MrT someone was asking only the other week what the difference was between software for the x20 and x30 and I couldn't find any (I was looking at 8,320 though).

The only reliable way to get RDS-TMC working in the UK is to use an external aerial either a new dedicated aerial or couple the lead to the existing car aerial. The UK has rather low signal strength from transmitters positioned away from populated areas stuck on top of hills - I live in an area that is patchy for reception but I never have issues since I use an external aerial - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for posting in 2 threads, but this one is more relevant as I have a Go 720. the other one is mainly about the 710.

My "mctx.dat" file has the extra characters that Mr T has on his X30(in red below.
Quote:
TX01C°óöÌVε .•P°Q'Îw^';mµ#ó5»‡OϺïp<#ÕÿHpçƒT ×±wù

I can't tell if my RDS-TMC is working because we don't have a transmitter here in Guernsey, but it was working ok in the UK last October.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone say if my device should work with the "mctx.dat" file I posted above or if I need to change it please?
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax,

My GO920 RDS-TMC works with the mctx.dat file string:

Quote:
TX01C°óöÌVε .•P°Q'Îw^';mµ#ó5»‡OϺïp<#ÕÿHpçƒT ×±wù

So there does not seem to be a problem with your mctx.dat file.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really say calormax you will have to wait until you get a signal unfortunately. If it's any help my 720 (8.320 815 mapping and the mini-USB TMC unit) has a 51 character string in this file.

TX01C°óöÌVε .•P°Q'Îw^';mµ#ó5»‡OϺïp<#ÕÿHpçƒT ×±wù

Or in HEX if you are so inclined...

5458303143B0F3F6CC56CEB5202E9550B05127CE775E273B6DB51023F335BB874FCFBAEF703C23D5FF4870E78354A0D707B177F9
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. It sound as though I'll be OK then. Very Happy
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TTG 720T RDS TMC and mctx.dat Reply with quote

mickrichardson535 wrote:
Hi Folks

For no good reason, my 720T stopped displaying the traffic update on screen. No amount of unplugging / plugging back of the connector made any difference.
Also, the computerised voices took on an awful st st st stutter.

I managed to cure the st st st stuttuer by doing a reset - but I still couldn't activate the traffic update or seem to get a signal displayed. Had never been an problem before.

Found on this forum a fix for a corrupted mctx.dat file - but it threw up one slight technical issue that I cannot find the answer to.

Should the mctx.dat file be saved with 22222 or 22220 ??
It's currently saved with 22222 - but doesn't seem to lock on to any signal - though I have only tried that static on the driveway.

Ordinarily, I'd look at the backup file for reference - only that's corrupted too.

Thanks

Mick

Udate.

After all sorts of tricklery with uninstalling and reinstalling applications on the device - and still not getting RDS TMC to work, TT Tech Support asked for the device back for repair.

As a last gasp and in order to rule out software issues, I went to Halfords and bought one of the USB RDS TMS aerials on the understanding that I could get my cash back if it didn't work with my device. It did - and does (though I'm still yet to lock onto a signal).

That means either the socket in the base of ther device or the old plug is / was faulty - the old aerial by the way is the one that according to the TT website is used on the x10 series - whereas my device is a 720.

All I have to do now is to actually get a signal!

The mctx.dat file (upon reinstallation of the application) contains

TX01C°óöÌVε .•P°Q'Îw^';mµ#ó5»‡OϺïp<#ÕÿHpçƒT ×±wù

Mick
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: RDS-TMC not working Reply with quote

Hi Mike

After looking at these posts, I checked my 720 and the file mctx.dat showed "something" like TX01C°óöÌVε .•P°Q'Îw^';mµ#ó5»‡OϺïp<#ÕÿHpç (I have copied it from one of the above post so on my device, there might be something entirely different from what you see now).

I then put 22222 there but after tests for several days, RDS-TMC on my device is not working. The last time I used RDS (working OK) was on application 8.0 but then I upgraded to 8.3 and had not checked if traffic was working or not.

What have I done wrong?

RATOM

Application 8.3
latest maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: