Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I/O Device Error on Tomtom One V4
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I/O Device Error on Tomtom One V4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OneTomtom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: I/O Device Error on Tomtom One V4 Reply with quote

Hi,

Just got a new Tomtom one v4. I'm now just starting to make it mine and I wanted to add voice alerts for the speed cameras like I had on my v1. I think I'm right that I need to put them into the sounds folder on the device this time, but when I start to copy them across I get a I/O device error message. Worried I then tried an update via Tomtom home to see if that would work and it was fine, updated mapshare updates no problems. Have also installed the latest camera data base tonight, but this was before the error message.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Onetomtom

TT1 v4, Application v8.012, Map v815.2024
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the poi .ogg voice files in the Map folder along with the poi files on my ONE v4 via Explorer.

Not sure why you are getting the error.

Just noticed the App on your ONE is different to mine.

Mine is 8.010
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either method (sounds folder or "name of map" folder) should work, but if you opt for the sounds folder, don't leave the files in the map folder as well, 'cos that can cause all sorts of confusion.

As for the "I/O device error" message, that usually implies a corrupted file or file structure on the device.
If you go to "search" at the top left of this window, type (or copy) "I/O device error" (without the quotes) into the search box and select "search for ALL terms" then direct it to look in just the TomTom Go forum section, you should get 5 "hits" (yours plus four previous ones).

Most of them refer to the SD card storage used on other models, but the principle is the same.

The topic HERE seems as good as any, and involves trying to copy files one by one to work out where the problem lies.

Let us know how you get on.
OneTomtom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your replies.

I struggled on last night after posting the message and did manage to copy the files across one at a time into the sounds folder. I got the I/O error ever third or fourth file I copied. Had to disconnect the TT reboot and reconnect then it would work again. After several goes I got all the ogg files copied.

This is much nicer than my old TT, I renamed the files before I copied them and you can now choose by name instead of having to remember that the cow said speed limit 30 etc. much nicer. I did find the way the TT worked a pain though, after setting each warning it returned to the map screen and you have to start the whole process again. Why can’t it just go back to the warn when near poi menu.

Anyway all seems well now, I’m just a bit worried what will happen when I copy next month’s data base over. Guess I’ll find out in a few weeks.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera database is released weekly now (assuming you are using the one from here). Next release due tomorrow.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and there should be no problems...
To update the database next time JUST copy and paste the .ov2 files, every thing else can stay the same, and the warnings should be retained too.
The only time you're likely to lose them is after a SOFTWARE update, and often just copying across a copy of your MapSettings.dat file (from your named map's folder) will restore them even then (didn't work last time, but may well do next time.
OneTomtom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a problem. Tried to copy the new camera data base over tonight and got and message telling me corrupt folder or file. Anyway I opened up the UK and Ireland file folder to find it full of strange folders and files. I then crossed referenced this with the copy I made of the device when I purchased it and it’s totally different. I thought I might be able to copy the folder back onto the device but I’m unable to do this because as it won’t recognise any of the folders or some of the files which have got in there I won’t over right it. I have also tried to delete the stray folders and files but again because windows doesn’t recognise them it won’t delete them.

Any ideas ? I haven’t got a clue how they got there and now it’s telling me I have not got any maps. It's broke big time !!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try this:

In My Computer, right click on the drive designated by TomTom and select Properties and repair.

You could try to format the drive and, if successful, copy back your entire backup.

Just a thought.........
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the link I put in my first post, intended you to try copying the entire TomTom drive contents one by one (or section by section) to see where the corrupted file was, rather then the PGPSW camera files.
There was obviously something dodgy on the drive , possibly caused by not following the "safely remove hardware" routine before unplugging?

Where do you stand with backups?
OneTomtom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backups I have a complete copy of the entire device as I brought it, but before my map upgrade. Just copied the entire contents of the Tomtom to a folder on the computer.

I also have a couple of backups taken through home one after the map upgrade. I'm assuming that the new map must be on the computer as well somewhere anyway.

What do you reckon reformat the device, copy over the files etc. I made of it after purchase and then restore the back up from home ??
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you format the drive, connect the ONE v4 to your pc.

Navigate to the drive letter for the ONE v4 (TomTom (K) will be different drive letter on your system), right click, select Properties, then Tools, on that tab you should see Error-checking, now click the Check Now

Let it run, may take some time (2-20 mins), then after see if you can then copy to and from the ONE ok or not. If you still get errors then you will have to format the drive.

But if the drive appears to work OK, then just delete all the files from it via Explorer and then copy back the original files you backed-up when new.

Disconnect via Safely Remove Hardware (icon on task bar)

Once you have, then turn OFF the unit and reboot via holding the ON button for about 20-30 seconds, the TomTom screen will appear and you can then release the ON button. It may take several seconds before it comes on, but it should then be restored to factory new condition Laughing

Hope all goes well.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got nothing to add to that! Laughing
OneTomtom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up having to reformat, then copied the original back up across, switched on and bingo it worked. Home then did it’s up dates and put the new map back on etc and all was well. Have put the camera database on and the voices, still had problems with copying files over but it all seems to work now.

I don’t think the lead that is supplied with it is any good, it’s fiddly to get it into the connector on the device because it’s recessed in, the lead has the wire come off at a 90deg angle so it not very good and because of the wires not straight it seems to pull easily, so I ditched that and am using a lead with a straight connector that you can get hold off and that so far has not had a problem.

The only thing I have noticed since I did this Friday is the car position on the device in relation to the to my actual position is off. I missed a turning on Saturday, I was still approaching it according to the Tomtom but in reality I’d just driven past it. I have read other postings about this so when I’d stopped I checked and did turn off poi’s that where obviously defaults, I’d missed when setting up again, petrol stations, airports etc. However turning theses off made no difference what so ever it’s still lagging, the only poi’s it running are the PGPSW speed zoned uk cameras, have they turned down the power or the accuracy of the satellites. My old V1 One was much better.

Anyway thanks for the help in getting me up and running again, I still don’t really understand how it corrupted it’s always disconnected correctly, perhaps it is the lead that I’ve now ditched.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is the second post that I have read today complaining that the position is not accurate. Try a pin reset (in the hole underneath). It might be a dud quick gps fix file supplied by tomtom. Whatever it is will probably correct itself in a day or two.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, have a read of the replies HERE

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: