Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Home on two computers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Home on two computers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jej12000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Home on two computers Reply with quote

I have been updating my 730T using Tom Tom Home on the desktop computer, but it would be convenient to also sometimes use the laptop. I had assumed that Tom Tom Home was just a means whereby the SatNav communicates with Tom Tom servers, but having now tried out connecting the 730T on the laptop I get a different set of updates offered, eg the mapshare data is actually up to date on the device but I'm offered a 23MB download; also some postcode file is listed and some speed camera file none of which appears when connected via the desktop computer. I presume that by logging in on the laptop with my email address and password the correct device will have been identified but it doesn't seem to know what is on there already. This is all a bit unexpected as I had rather presumed that connecting the TomTom via a different computer would be straightforward but it doesn't seem to be!

Please could anyone advise whether it is safe to update using 2 different computers and if there is any way of syncronising so that which ever computer is used the latest update is offered.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home downloads stuff and keeps it on your computer, so I guess it checks your PC (against the web), not your device.

You could do a full backup (using Windows Explorer), then allow the laptop to download things and see how it all goes.

Then you could suffer twice as hard - having Home on two computers seems a bit like walking into a wall deliberately. Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a USB powered external disc which I use as the 'home' device for TTHOME. This way I can use my home laptop and work PC with the same data. Simply assign a drive letter to the device which it will always get when it is inserted. I tend to start at the back of the alphabet for this as pen-drives etc tend to get allocated at the start.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Then you could suffer twice as hard - having Home on two computers seems a bit like walking into a wall deliberately. Twisted Evil

I used to keep the same two TomToms updated on both my home and work PCs and it works fine.
Once you realise what Dennis has said it all makes sense. For things like purchased maps, Home checks what is assigned to your account on its servers and compares it to what it finds in the PC's downloads folder. So on the PC you downloaded it on originally you won't be offered it again, but If it doesn't see it there (i.e. on the second PC) it offers it to you again.
You can either ignore it, or if you have lots of free space, there's no harm in re-downloading it on the second PC.

jej12000 wrote:
also some postcode file is listed

Do be careful with this sort of thing though....
There is a bug in Home where it will offer you VERY OLD maps you once bought and the postcode files to go with them (I keep being told to download a v6 UK map and associated postcode files).
Check the version number you are being offered (click on 'more info') and compare it to the ones you have already (go to 'Add Maps voices etc' - 'Items on my computer' - 'Postcodes' - 'More info.')

philpugh wrote:
I have a USB powered external disc which I use as the 'home' device for TTHOME. This way I can use my home laptop and work PC with the same data.

That's a good idea... Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: