Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Avoiding "B" and "C" roads.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Avoiding "B" and "C" roads.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clockworks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Avoiding "B" and "C" roads. Reply with quote

Had to go to Torrington for work yesterday. Left there at about 16:45 (as it was getting dark) to come home to Helston, Cornwall.

Anyone who knows North Devon will know that the roads are very twisty and narrow - not ideal when the weather is so cold and damp. The Council never grit the minor roads, so I wanted to stay on "A" roads.

My 540 was coming up with some pretty weird routes, so I ended up just following the road signs to Bideford, then A39/A30.

Is there a way to force the 540 to stick to major roads?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good old IQ routes! I don't have a x40, but I'd suspect the answer is to ask for Fastest Route, then Find Alternative and either Avoid or more likely Travel Via. Personally I might have been tempted to Travel Via Okehampton.

Another alternative might be to do Itinerary - Bideford, Kilkhampton, Camelford.

All of the above, of course, assume you know useful places en route to avoid or travel via. Innocents like me would have to trust IQ Routes that we can burn along the North Devon lanes at 60mph and hope a deer doesn't hop over the hedge onto the bonnet. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are regular routes you want to avoid you can always go into map corrections and block a road and make sure that you do not share this correction with others. I have done this for a few local roads that have traffic calming measures on them. I did try changing the speed limit on these roads but this did not appear to change any routing calculations, just the warning about exceeding the speed limit.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi clockworks
I would use the Itinerary option as Dennis has already suggested. I personally find the Itinerary option one of the most useful functions on the device. It will travel the route that you want it to travel.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itinerary is indeed a very good suggestion, particularly for regular routes. Learning how to use it effectively is worth doing, particularly things like waypoints which you just travel via. One of my routes travels via a spot on the motorway, so I know it will take me the "right" way to where I want to go, and not through a busy city, but it doesn't expect me to stop when I reach that point, just moves onto the next part.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi matthewj
Yes, learning to use it affectively is important, and be especially careful where you place your waypoint. For instance, if you accidentally place a waypoint on the other side of the motorway you will land up using language that will make the local Vicar faint.

However, once mastered it works just great. And, you have the added bonus of being able to plan your journey on your PC and then transferring it to your Tomtom.
Great for planning one’s holidays.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we all REALLY want is a simple "Avoid very minor roads" option, but TomTom have decided to only offer something like this only to the users of their paid-for "Work" package for business.
clockworks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
What we all REALLY want is a simple "Avoid very minor roads" option, but TomTom have decided to only offer something like this only to the users of their paid-for "Work" package for business.

Absolutely. I get fed up with some of the stupid shortcuts, down single-track roads which save maybe 0.1 of a mile, but could add 10 minutes to a journey if you meet another vehicle.

The 540 seems to do this more often than my old 510 did.
clockworks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Good old IQ routes! I don't have a x40, but I'd suspect the answer is to ask for Fastest Route, then Find Alternative and either Avoid or more likely Travel Via. Personally I might have been tempted to Travel Via Okehampton.

Another alternative might be to do Itinerary - Bideford, Kilkhampton, Camelford.

All of the above, of course, assume you know useful places en route to avoid or travel via. Innocents like me would have to trust IQ Routes that we can burn along the North Devon lanes at 60mph and hope a deer doesn't hop over the hedge onto the bonnet. Confused

I'll have to look at the Itinerary and Alternative options. I've got to go to South Molton, Torrington and Saltash tomorrow, so I'll have a play.

I guess the problem is that North Devon has plenty of "roads", but nearly all of them are rubbish!

It'd be nice if there was a "minimise road changes" option
michaelb104
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opposite issue earlier this week, I had to travel to Roundwood Avenue at Stockley business park (near Uxbridge), my TTG couldn’t find a route when I put in either the post code or the address because I think the roads in the park are classed as minor (purple dash on map??). I had to have the TTG to navigate just outside the park and then continue using my own judgment – very scary Shocked I even considered getting the paper map out……………… Wink
exportman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like an option to take just B & C roads

Riding a bike its much more fun Cool
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelb104 wrote:
I had the opposite issue earlier this week, I had to travel to Roundwood Avenue at Stockley business park (near Uxbridge), my TTG couldn’t find a route when I put in either the post code or the address because I think the roads in the park are classed as minor (purple dash on map??). I had to have the TTG to navigate just outside the park and then continue using my own judgment – very scary Shocked I even considered getting the paper map out……………… Wink

Purple dashed roads show restricted access (usually pedestrians only).

Now this could be because of a basic mapping error - has been known Laughing or if you have been downloading MapShare corrections then perhaps someone has incorrectly blocked off the road.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Stockley Park too, and noticed the same thing. It's not a MapShare error - I think it's because technically these are private roads, and not part of the public road network.

However, you can use MapShare to unblock them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: