Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BIG PROBLEMS!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BIG PROBLEMS!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raptornexuss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: BIG PROBLEMS!!! Reply with quote

Hi ive been playing with my settings on my TOMTOM GO 920T ive only had it two days and ive downloaded lots of POIS on this site and i think i might have a virus....i updated my map with the latest map gurantee and today i lost the voice on my tomtom,i came home and syncronised it with tomtom home and its saying that maps are up todate.Now when i switched it back on it keeps reverting to a foreign map and i cant get out of it,ive done a factory reset which lasts about 15 seconds before it reverts back to this foreign thing,how can i format the whole tomtom and reload everthing back on again?as i did do a backup when i first used it.The only map that i can find on my tomtom is GUAN
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you've caught a virus! (Never heard of one attacking a satnav)
But you may have corrupted the memory (easily done if you don't follow some guidelines for safely disconnecting the Go from the USB connection).
Whenever you want to disconnect, make sure you click on the little icon in the PC system tray (next to the clock) which says "Safely remove hardware" and then click on the pop-up that says "Safely remove mass storage device - Drives x,y (where x and y are your particular two drive letters).

First we need to know if you made any sort of backup BEFORE you started adding/changing stuff?

Next, we need to know if the relevant map folders still exist on your Go.
Connect the Go to the PC and using Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer or TT Home) look for two new diskdrives. One will be the (probably empty) SD card slot and the other will be the internal TT memory.

If you click on the internal memory one (usually the higher of the two drive letters), can you see a folder called "Western Europe"?
raptornexuss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for reply,i pasted the whole contents of my backup and pasted it in the tomtom and shes working fine again now(wipes forehead) Smile
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff......

Now pay very close attention to how Andy_P said was the correct way to disconnect the unit from the dock when Home is running or when you are using Explorer to manipulate files on your unit.

99.99999% of all related problems take place because data has not been able to be written to internal memory properly.
raptornexuss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only poblem ive just now noticed,after a sucessful back up to my device i updated my map and downloaded it,but it wont install as it is now saying there isnt enough free space on my tomtom???can i just format it totally then transfer my backup to it,ot are there files that have to be left on there? please help!!!
Now pay very close attention to how Andy_P said was the correct way to disconnect the unit from the dock when Home is running or when you are using Explorer to manipulate files on your unit.

99.99999% of all related problems take place because data has not been able to be written to internal memory properly.[/quote]
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move the existing map to your PC or if you're confident you have a copy in the backup delete the map - when loading the new map it only looks at free space not at space that will be recovered by overwriting
raptornexuss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right deleted the old map,downloaded new map and it downloaded ok but i cant find it on my tomtom only that GUAM map,even though its in the f drive when i browse for it...what can i do???
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean you can 'see' the Map Folder with Explorer?

If you Right Click the Folder, and choose Properties, how many MB does it say for Size?

Have you tried a Reset, not a Reset Factory Settings?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
raptornexuss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i format it and start again??? as it stands i have a centrl europe map only on it size 1817.7mb... total capacity of tomtom it says is 3832.5mb total free space remaining with just that map on is 1549.7mb i havnt got noth america or guam map on there and i couldnt anyway with the amount of memory ive got left surely its not right?? please help.There are no other maps on there except for the central europe one.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a Pin Reset?

See Here.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
raptornexuss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have and it doesnt make any difference.....when i bought it it had north america map,cental europe and guam map on it,now it only has central europe on it and there isnt room for another map for some reason....can i format it totally???
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue here is that when originally supplied the map files were slightly smaller but there was only just enough memory built in to the device to hold them. Also when supplied a UK/ Euro spec device didn't have the speech recognition files in the US map folder (these files were left out).

Enter the new maps, the European one and the American one BOTH now contain the Speech Recognition files, as a result they are considerably larger than the available internal memory available on the device.

Easy way out of this issue is to put the USA map on an SD or SDHC card and put that in the expansion slot on the device, otherwise you will have to start removing certain files from some of the folders on the device to free up space, even significant file pruning might only just get both map folders to install and you will have reduced functionality from the device - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure.....

If you look at the internal of the 920 with Explorer, do you see JUST one folder called 'Western_Europe'? You see NO specific folder called 'North_America' or one called 'Guam'??

(lets just forget about Guam for the moment.....)

When you power up Home and go to where it shows the contents on your computer, do you see the NA map listed there? (click on 'more info' to see if it is the proper map).

If you see it listed, why not do yourself a BIG favour, get a 4-gig sdhc card and install the NA map on it. So the WE map would be on internal and the NA map on the card. Just switch between the two as needed via 'Manage Maps' in the unit?
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Enter the new maps, the European one and the American one BOTH now contain the Speech Recognition files, as a result they are considerably larger than the available internal memory available on the device.

I have a 920T and have just updated it to the latest maps and navcore, all I removed were the foreign language TTS voices, I still have the English voices for all maps and the new maps fitted on the device with no problems.
raptornexuss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok noted guys thanks ,but can i format it? i have it backed up but can i format like i would a hardrive,and then paste all my back up files to it? many thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: