Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS TMC: how useful is it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS TMC: how useful is it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pEst_29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: RDS TMC: how useful is it? Reply with quote

I've had a 730T for nearly a month, drove a lot in and around London and I always have an RDS signal. The thing is, 99% of the time it tells me I have a 1min delay on my route (can't find a faster route) and when I get there, there's no delay at all! On the other hand, it doesn't warn me about several other delays on that route that sometimes hold me up for a lot more than 1 minute...

There was one occasion where it warned me about a 25 minute delay, and there was clearly a queue I could see and it helped me avoid, so I was glad for that one, but for those common queues that are usual on certain roads at certain times of day that delay your journey by sometimes nearly 10 minutes, I never get any warning (example: High Road Leytonstone northbound to Green Man roundabout)...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it works it is very good, but I only trust it to re-route when other sources of traffic information relay the same information about hold ups, motorway gantry signs and other information broadcast over the radio.

It is only useful on motorways and some "A" roads, I wouldn't use it at all for information within a major city as traffic conditions can change far quicker than the device will update - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: